“Better than expected”

Ranked #80 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
South Carolina
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I read a lot of reviews and was a little weary about the hotel. However, once I got there I was pleasantly suprised. The hotel itself is older and the rooms are small, but we were just looking for a place to lay our head at night. The bathrooms were clean, the staff was friendly and the location was out of this world. If you're looking for a high-class hotel, this is not it. But if you're looking to save money and still get a hotel right next to River Street and a clean bed, this is definitely the spot. I will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My wife and I stayed here in May for a week. We booked on Hotwire and were pleasantly suprised with the hotel. Our room was spacious and included a king size bed, plasma tv, bar fridge, separate shower/bath/toilet and air conditioner. There was also a separate coffee table set up with two chairs. No continental breakfast was included although a coffee machine was at reception. There was also a coin operated soft drink machine near available within the hotel complex. There was a pool available for use but it was too cold to use when we were there. There are better located hotels than this but the historic quarter is only small in any case and basically on the doorstep of the hotel, this hotel is near the river which was good. No internet access however I used the internet at the public library which is a 5 minute walk away. The only supermarket nearby is a 20 or so minute walk away but there are plenty of restaurants, fast food options nearby. I would definitely stay here again for the price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
cullman alabama
Reviewed 29 April 2009

My sister and I stayed here, she has a small dog, and it's had to find a decent place to stay that accepts pets. No extra charge for pets ( under 20 pounds ). Parking was free, rooms were clean, price was good considering how close it was to everything . There is no view but we were1 block from the river front. We would stay here again!!!.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lstancil3
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 3 February 2009

OK. So it's not the Hilton, but we had no problems with cleanliness or anything like that. Very nice for the price. Staff was exceptionally friendly. The pool did have some water bugs in it, but it was Savannah in May, so bugs are to be expected.

I heard they were tearing down this little hotel, but if they hadn't I would definitely have recommended it to budget-conscious friends. It was less than two blocks from both River Street and City Market. You can't beat that.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the slope of the parking lot
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
Miami
Reviewed 22 December 2008

I am writing this review from room 517 counting the hours to leave this rat hole. I stayed here for 2 nights, and hated this place. The first room they gave me was dirty, the bathroom disgusting and the coffee machine and fridge weren't working. The receptionist, a nice guy that has to deal with this lack of maintenance, management and housekeeping, gave us another room (this one, 517). It looked better but it smelled like old bleu cheese! The heater wasn't working (It's freezing outside now), the fridge makes a weird noise all the time and the smoke alarm was beeping every 30 seconds (I just disconnected it and gave it to the receptionist). Also, when we came back to the room today at 5PM, the beds were not made (we left at 10 AM, giving housekeepers 7 hours to do their job). My advise is, read not only my review but all the other reviews about this place and you will understand why you shouldn't think about this place even if it's $10 cheaper than any other motel.

• Liked — Nothing, except the price and location but I made a huge mistake.
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 13 December 2008

You may be thinking, "you can't beat the price!" I just want to remind you that the Savannah River Inn is a motel...it'll do if you're just looking for a room. The bathroom in our first room was absolutely disgusting--thick black rings around the toilet bowl, large splotches of black mold on the shower curtain, and rust rings in the bathtub. To be fair, they switched us into the room next door upon request--and it was definitely better (though still had the moldy curtains).

Stayed December 2008
Everywhere, USA
Reviewed 20 November 2008

I wanted to save a couple of bucks...and I did! Savannah River Inn is in the right spot at the right price....I am a frequent traveler to this area, and I did not think that a hotel such as this still existed in this part of town. I was able to get free parking, microwave & fridge. A king size bed with a sitting area for a fraction of the cost. Sure, it's not shiny or new, but if you are looking to splurge on gifts...you've already saved by staying at this hotel. I also checked their Saint Patricks' rates and they are the lowest to be found in this area at $189 per night. I booked a room, because I heard it is awesome time!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Gift Shop
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo