“I know the true history”
Review of Crawford Square

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Crawford Square
Ranked #162 of 218 things to do in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I know the true history”
Reviewed 12 April 2011

I was born around Crawford Square in 1952 @ 509 Mcdonough Street. I grew up around the Square. I played as a little girl on slides, swings, kick around and learned how to play basketball on that court. My mother builded a home on another part of town in 1970 that is when my family moved away. There was never a fence around the square when I was growing up. I have lived in Hawaii and Germany and I can truly say Crawford Square have a solid place in my heart. I will recommend anyone visiting Savannah to visit Crawford Square. However try to find out some history of the square to better understand the changes. Crawford Square was the only square founder by Oglethorpe that allowed blacks to live around. I hope that they never move the basketball court or playground. I live in Atlanta now however when I go home to Savannah I ride around the Sguare to reflect on the good times and when life was care free.

Visited April 2011
8 Thank wonderfulplace4984

A TripAdvisor Member
“A hidden piece of history.”
Reviewed 14 December 2002

Crawford Square is named after William Crawford who served as Secretary of War and Minister to France from 1815-16. Crawford Square was laid out in the 1840s. A cistern was built in the square at that time by the city for the use of resident's of the square for fire protection and possibly drinking water. The cistern still remains and is a historic and beautiful structure. The city reecently placed a placque explaining the history of the cistern. Other structures in the square include a gazebo, basketball court and playground which was placed in the square around 1980. Local legend has it that this was the fisrt square that African Americans were allowed to use. In the sprng the azaelas are in full purple bloom. In the summer the crepe myrtles are full with majenta blooms. It is a lovely square. The square been adopted by the residents who live around it. The residents are putting pressure on the city of savannah to preserve the square and make it more pedestrian friendly by removing the playground and basketball court and relpacing with flowers and benches. Residents have begun to plant flowers in the southeast corners. The residents have also formed a neighborhood watch group and encourage visitors to enjoy the square and to ask help from any resident if help is needed. On Liberty Street directly south of the square in new shooping which includes an upscale antiques and fresh market and produce. Be sure to visit Crawford Square and surrounding neighborhood when in historic Savannah.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member