“Don't miss! One of the best parts of our trip!”

Oatland Island Wildlife Center
Ranked #16 of 220 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located 15 minutes southeast of downtown Savannah, this is an environmental education center where you can learn about local wildlife and native plants.There are lots of programs for children.
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I stopped by Oatland Wildlife Center as a side-stop on our way to other activities, and it became one of the highlights of our trip! The main house is home to a reptile display, and the short, 1-2 mile trail around the property showcases protected wolves, bobcats, foxes, a cougar, bison, bird of prey, tortoises, and some farm animals who for reasons of injury or other, cannot live in the wild on their own. It was not only a welcome relief from the heat and the busy-ness of the city and downtown, but also a relaxing stroll around a beautiful example of unmolested Southern ground. At only $5/person - this is something you shouldn't miss!

2  Thank Kimberly R

Reviewed 27 July 2014

A great spot for animal lovers. The exhibits and boardwalk trail were well done. The staff were very knowledgeable and friendly. We attended the animal talk and were able to visit up close with a black snake, alligator, opossum, turtle, and an armadillo! Enjoyed our time here, especially the wolf exhibit.

2  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I enjoyed ourselves... especially because it was only $10; however I can't help but feel bad for some of the animals as they are clearly overheated from being removed from their own element. Wolves and bison are not naive to Georgia and the heart was taking a hard toll on them. :(

I really enjoyed the random tortoise holes around the park. Very cute.

2  Thank meghangibbs
Heather M, General Manager at Oatland Island Wildlife Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review of our center. As Oatland’s veterinarian, I greatly appreciate your input and would like to address your concerns about our animal’s well-being in excessively hot weather. You can read about some of the methods we use to help our animals stay cool in the following article: http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2014-07-11/wildlife-center-gets-creative-keep-animals-cool

I hope this alleviates any concerns and please come to visit us again.
Dr. Lesley Mailler DVM

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We took our family to the wildlife center today and had a blast. We had two small children and even though there were tons of Mosquitos and it was incredibly muggy, we enjoyed seeing the animals and walking around the center on the well-built wooden paths. The wolf area was a nice break - an air-conditioned room we could rest in and watch the wolves eat and play with one another. My daughter loved the farm animal area (cows, pigs, sheep) and my nephew liked the deer. I would go back (with a can of "off" and several sippy cups of ice water).

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We were bothered by Mosquitos during the day and a lot of bees in the grass. The trail marked at intersections. I wasn't very impressed with the setup. The staff was great, the gift shop and the few animals inside the gifts how area were cool. They have alligators, cougars, wolf, animal petting zoo..and a few other things, not an all day affair by any means.a few hours maybe.

1  Thank MishyINvb