“Anniversary gift for my husband”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #9 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Anniversary gift for my husband”
Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Ballastone for our wedding anniversary weekend. I gave this trip to my husband at Christmas and we had been looking forward to our stay in Savannah for months. The Ballastone Inn should have been the highlight.

Staff is friendly; especially Amy. Her referral to "Dinner and A Cemetery" was great. She also staged a DVD player in our room while we were out, which was a plus. The food is "as advertised."

Our room was on the bottom level across the hall from the kitchen and service area. With three young children at home, sleeping in on vacation would have been a luxury. No chance. Once the clanging and banging of breakfast service started at 7 am, the peace was over.

Sadly, I cannot rate our overall experience at the Ballastone anything other than a "1." At the end of our stay I discovered something valuable missing from my personal belongings. Devastated. Period. End of story.

• Stayed May 2012
10 Thank ahhickey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights in the Ballastone. It was marvelous. From the moment we entered the front door, we were treated like guests in a private home. Everyone of the staff was outgoing, friendly, and eager to make sure our trip was perfect. The variety in rooms provided fun choices as each room was tastefully decorated in a unique fashion, and not, I might add, in the "frilly" mode that is found in many B&Bs. Location was just right; a short walk to the river and right around the corner from one of the squares where we could catch walking tours. After spending much of the day on our feet sightseeing, it was so pleasant to come back to enjoy tea or hors d'oeuvres or just to relax in the comfy atmosphere of the common rooms before heading out again for dinner. In addition to the rooms on the main floor, there are even sitting areas on each of the higher floors and an elevator if your feet are just worn out. For breakfast you could pre-order their hot entre or select from cold items. I found the breakfasts to be delicious, and we were able to schedule the time to fit our needs. Definitely take a look at their website to select which room decor and price you want. There is a lovely variety. All rooms were, gorgeous, well equiped, and comfortable. We were in the Mary Musgrove room and it was very quiet with lots of windows for natural light.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Surrey,England
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights during a recent visit to Savannah.
Our vist started well with a really warm greeting, assistance with luggage and parking for our car.
Our room - Mulbery Tulips exceeded our expectations. It was extremely large, well equipped with large very comfortable bed. The only slight downside was that it was a corner room on the front of the hotel and there was some traffic noise. However this did not prevent us enjoying the room with its huge sofa and armchair providing lots of space for relaxing after a day exploring.
The staff were all extremely friendly and gave excellent advice when requested. They were very understanding and helpful when we requested a variation to our breakfast from that offered, in contrast to another similar quality Inn we stayed at earlier in our trip.
The Inn's location is really convenient for exploring Savannah on foot and there is a tour tram stop just outside if you want to explore this way.
I strongly recommend the Ballastone as a place to stay if you want to explore Savannah.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
usa
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The Ballastone was lovely, historic and comfortable. We stayed in the Savannah room (street level) because it had two beds (twins) and found the room to be very comfortable, roomy and quiet. The sheets were the softest I have ever slept on. I don't think the room had individual temp control but the temp was perfect for us. We had easy access to a spacious courtyard with all sorts of gorgeous plants, tables, and fountain. The inn was at capacity but never felt crowded. The off-street parking is a great asset and felt relatively secure. Easy walk to the theater and a few restaurants. Breakfast was a bit dissapointing-but this isn't a restaurant-so I can't knock the effort. Very satisfied.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We spent a week at the Ballastone Inn and could not have been more pleased! Savannah is a wonderful city and the Ballastone was close walking distance from everything we wanted to see and do. The staff was exceptional- helping us plan our tours and dining options. Breakfast was a treat outside. Can't say enough good about the very helpful staff- did I mention how helpful the staff were? Lovely setting, comfortable rooms. A pleasure- one of our best vacations!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having previously seen their website, I must admit that I was a tad disappointed upon arrival. The lobby was charming, loved having use of an elevator (usually unavailable in an historic old building), but found our "superior" accommodations to be somewhat shabby at $300 a night. The rug under the end of the bed (shown in the website) was missing, and there were deep blonde gouges in the old, brown wood floor, sweeping to the right as if someone had dragged the old four-poster bed instead of lifting it ~ NOT S.O.P. for an historical inn. And the bed was so high that we had to use a hassock or movable set of stairs to get into it ~ however, once in it, it was oh-so-comfy. Breakfast was very good, with a different chef's special each morning. We always looked forward to relaxing at afternoon tea following a day of sight-seeing ~ a nice selection of teas and three or four selections of finger sandwiches and sweets. And coming back 'home' after a night on the town and sitting down in one of the parlours with a complimentary sherry, port or cognac was a marvelous way to finish off another great day in this lovely city. A word about the staff ~ superb in every way! Amy, the manager/concierge, is to be commended for outstanding service and advice regarding what to do, where to go, and how to get there!

Room Tip: Check out the website, as I can only speak to the particular room that we had.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wanderfish
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here for an anniversary trip and were truly spoiled by the sumptuous surroundings, the delicious food, the warm hospitality and the easy access to everything in Savannah that we wished to stroll to. Ours was the Mulberry Tulips suite with the little writing desk in the corner. Although we were on the street, we were not bothered by any noise. The bed linens were luxurious and the mattress had us sleeping so soundly that we almost missed breakfast!

As for the "ghost story," we were not aware that this inn had any paranormal history related to it. So imagine my surprise... on the second morning of our stay, I was showering and was aware, through the light filtering through the shower curtain, a shadow pass by each of the sconce lights on the opposite wall (they are the same lights in the picture for this room on the inn's website). I thought my husband had come in to use the bathroom. When I didn't hear any other noise, I called his name and heard his response from the other room! Quickly, I peeked out of the shower curtain and saw no one but a cloud of steam filling up the room and... a distinct hand swipe across the middle of the bathroom mirror! I wasn't afraid in the least, it just added to the overall enchantment of our visit! We will be back (again sans children) for another anniversary trip in the future.

Room Tip: You'll pay more for the suites - if this is a special occasion, it might be worthwhile to invest...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple