“Very Quaint Inn, Staff is Great”
Review of Ballastone Inn

Ballastone Inn
Ranked #12 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Inn is very quaint & located in the historic section. The staff were responsive & pleasant. The breakfast was great & the wine & snacks a lot of fun. We would return when we come to Savannah which is a city that has very good restaurants of many varieties.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Franco M

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Checked into this B&B during the rock n roll marathon weekend. Overall I was not impressed with this establishment. I have stayed at many B&Bs and know what to expect, especially from one so highly rated. The food was not as advertised, and definitely mediocre at best. Tea and hors d's really aren't at all. The breakfast was nothing special and when you read the choices of all the varieties of tasty items that could be available to only get a plate of items I could get at any continental breakfast (and get a better portion) no wonder I'm disappointed.

After reading other reviews I agree with most of the average ratings. I appreciate the historic charm and character mixed with modern day amenities (elevator was really nice for sore muscles). We stayed in the low country room which probably is one of the lesser desirable rooms based on location at the Inn (basement). It had no ventilation in the bathroom and the smells of the kitchen early in the morning combined with hearing every little squeak and creak of the woods floors above was not restful and woke me up in the morning (yes I know it's a historic building but still). the street noises that people mentioned in previous reviews were fine, you are staying in a city, you are going to hear street noise but to hear the staff moving china around for multiple hours in the afternoon and then in the early morning just took away from the experience.

A few things I really enjoyed and worth mentioning was the bed, the bed linen and bathrobes. The staff was friendly and attentive as well. I guess bottom line is do your research on room location but for the price of this place there is not anything extremely special. Plenty of other places to stay that are more enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TG55667788
Reviewed 4 November 2013

dlhouston
This year I went on my 'Great Southern Tour'. I knew that I had to stay somewhere in Savannah that reflected it's charm and elegance. I am happy to say that my choice of the Ballastone Inn for my family's stay was an excellent one. The rooms are very large with great natural daylight streaming through the windows. The beds were extremely comfortable. They had an afternoon tea daily with lovely nibbles. There was iced sweet tea and lemon water on the bar to quench your thirst. There were several seating areas around the fireplace and in their bar.
The breakfast was very good and we were able to sit in their garden and enjoy the beginning of each day with hot coffee.
The ladies who run the Inn are all kindness. They were extremely giving of their time and very courteous. They made us feel very special.
I also liked the no tipping till checkout rule. I share the owners view that pulling out your wallet for every service is tiring and a strain. I felt more than happy to leave a nice tip when I thought back on the many courtesies that the staff provided.

Room Tip: there is an elevator that makes all rooms accessible.
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Ballastone for two nights on our way to Florida. We were arriving by train in the early hours of the morning and had arranged through the Ballastone for a taxi to collect us at the station. We checked on three separate occasions that the taxi was arranged and were assured that there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately there was no taxi to collect us upon our arrival, and whilst I understand that the hotel isn't in control of the taxi company, I have to say there was very little concern shown by the management at the Ballastone when I raised the issue with them.

The room we were allocated was on the ground floor with very little natural light and felt quite oppressive.It was clean and spacious but in no way reflected the cost the cost of our stay ( we paid approximately $500 for our two night stay ).

I did express my disappointment when checking out and was told that the manageress would respond to to my concerns by email - to date I have heard nothing.

The hotel has some really lovely rooms - unfortunately we didn't get one of them.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank sparky1947
Grits2, Owner at Ballastone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner, but as all reviews from guests are personally we have just finished a very busy October and just now have the opportunity to do so.

Very few of our guests arrive by train as the schedules are rather difficult, with early morning arrivals and the station location is also an issue. We only use taxi services which respond to our guests and are courteous etc. but this particular one obviously will no longer be working with the Ballastone. For that we thank you.

As with any mansion of our size, the views are all different. The Courtyard levels do look directly out into the garden courtyard and in our case, tree copied for additional shade. This can limit light but some guests do enjoy the views directly into the courtyard. My sincere apology to you for not enjoying this particular room. As you say, large and spacious but limited light coming in.

We would love to have you return and welcome another opportunity to do so. Please call the Inn and you will be given gift certificate which will have an additional expiration to allow for a return visit, not depending on any set time.

Again, I apologize for the delay in this note to you but had to consult with staff, and read through many other reviews left by our guests before responding. Thank you for your commenting on our beautiful rooms, and again, give us another opportunity to serve you. I speak for my whole staff in saying that we take very seriously our guests stay and their memories of being in our wonderful city Savannah.

Jennifer Salandi
owner

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Ballastone Inn and found it a comfortable place to visit. The accommodations had a good mix of old character with modern conveniences. The public rooms were comfortable and allowed for a variety of settings. The breakfast was very tasty and served by friendly staff. The afternoon tea had a flavorful mix of snacks to go with it. The evening wine could be a bit nicer if it wasn't necessary to charge by the glass. We enjoyed the port when we returned to the Inn after dinner. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. When we checked out I had left my cell phone in our room. The staff did a good job of getting it shipped to me quickly. We'll return to Ballastone on our next trip to Savannah.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We found Ballastone beyond our best expectations. The accommodations were lovely - great combination of character and history, and total comfort (unbelievably great mattresses and bedding, terrific scented soaps and creams, pure comfort!)

The people were lovely, helpful, kind, funny and nice. We got help with packing our stuff (gift of packing materials), good advice, and more.

Would love a few higher end wines at the bar (OK, prob'ly asking a lot since they have to keep the bottles open). But the fruited water all day, and the high tea and hors d'oevres were great to come home to, and the breakfasts fabulous.

Try, though, to avoid the courtyard rooms if the Inn isn't full; early breakfasters in the courtyard can be less than quiet....

Room Tip: higher up if you can.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was completely impressed by this charming little B&B. It's setup like a really old home, with a variety of accomodations, from large suites to little bedrooms. All appear to have a bathroom too. This place has been fitted with all the modern conveniences, including elevator, fire escape stairs, modern plumbing, etc... The downstairs area features a large parlour, with a bar, and a little dining room. Breakfast is top-notch, all served by very polite & charming locals. Happy hour was fun too. Lots of food and drink with your fellow travelers. I would stay here again. Savanah is a very noisy town. There always seems to be lots of tree trimming activities, as well as the requisite loud tree branch shredder machine. Lots of construction too. It can be noisy.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the house. The back alley features lots of heavy trucks rumbing back and...