“Recent stay at the Gastonian”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #7 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Boston, MA
“Recent stay at the Gastonian”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Gracious location with a genuine southern drawl. Extremely helpful staff, very knowledgeable of Savannah. Delightful breakfast of home baked goods, evening wine w/ hors d'oeuvres and dessert w/ sherry or port - all included in the price of the room.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem, you need to apprise the hotel staff while reserving so you are booked in a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were made to feel at home the minute we walked in the door. Food is delicious and plenty of it. Wonderful, friendly staff. Hallie the innkeeper very informative about Savannah. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Hairball1
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed in a superior king room. I found the bathroom to be well below my cleanliness standards. There were long, black hairs in the tub and shower. The shower leaked and had black mold inside and out. There was a decorative pedestal in the room that had large clumps of dust and hair just behind it, the towel rack was the same and the bathtub surface had something sticky all over its surface. The shower door was dirty and streaked. The headboard was so loosely attached to the bed frame that it literally flopped back and forth just walking across the floor past it. The room was noisy from both the street noise and we were just under the main floor kitchen and so were awoke early every morning to the sound of a mixer, dishwasher etc.. The whole combination

2 Thank amprnc-ohio
Gastonian, General Manager at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your earnest impressions of your experience at the Gastonian.

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time at the Gastonian. It is always our goal to provide our guests with an outstanding Savannah experience, and what you describe does not meet our standard. I was actually working the desk during your stay, but I don't believe that I saw you during your time at the Inn. It would have absolutely been my pleasure to personally ensure that your room was properly cleaned.

I have since gone through that room and ensure that it was properly cleaned. While I did not find any mold, I did find a few of the details that you mentioned. I cannot thank you enough for bringing these issues to my attention so that I could rectify them. Please allow me to extend my apologies for the housekeeping issues you encountered during your time with us.

It is my sincerest hope that you will give us an occasion to serve you again in the future, so that we may have an opportunity to correct our mistakes and ensure that you see the Gastonian at its finest. If you chose to do so, please contact me directly. It would be my pleasure to ensure that your time in Savannah and at the Gastonian is unparalleled in every way.

Again, please accept our apology, and know that we are committed to providing an excellent experience for you during your next stay with us.

Best regards,

Hallie Mobley
Innkeeper
The Gastonian
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 February 2014

From check in to breakfast, wine, dessert and the rooms. This place is clean and beautiful, the staff is very friendly, inviting and helpful in all aspects. We would recommend this place and will be back to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Flannery Connery room. Supposedly we would get less noise from above in this room...
Fairburn, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I don’t want to write this review. I’ve put off writing this review as long as I can, I suppose.

I got married at the Gastonian on 12/21/2013. We arrived on 12/20/13 and checked out on 12/22/13. I actually fell in love with the idea of getting married at the Gastonian about 6 months before we actually booked it, the pictures were lovely and I was obsessed. We originally booked it and when I asked for pictures of the cake styles to choose from and the color flowers typically available I was told that No, they did not have that information. I got an iffy feeling and because this was a lot of money for us I actually cancelled the reservation but everyone raves about the service there and the honeymoon suite is gorgeous and when I found out that the day I wanted originally had opened up I talked the fiancé into rebooking our elopement there.
We rebooked the Elopement Package in September and I had communicated with the staff about my need for gluten allergy friendly meals and was assured they could accommodate me for both the breakfasts and the desserts.

So I guess I will start at the beginning, which is when I was told the email address of our officiant to speak to about our ceremony and I never got a response. We were on our way down to Savannah when I finally heard back from the Gastonian that the officiant had been changed and given the new one’s email address. The DAY before our wedding. This was pretty stressful. Now, from what I understand the original officiant didn’t exactly give notice when he left town (for good apparently) but I really feel like I could have been told sooner, especially when I had been trying to reach him via the hotel and his email address directly. When we got there we were checked in by a less than friendly Lance who had been SO friendly on the phone. We were given the keys to our room and told “It’s open.” and then my fiancé had to carry all of our bags up himself, which was no small feat. If you have been to the Gastonian you know that getting to the first floor is up a very steep flight of stairs. It rubbed me the wrong way that he had to carry the bags but then also to just be told where to find our room and not shown to it. I understand that that is the custom of most hotels but this is billed as a luxury bed and breakfast and it was my WEDDING, I expected what I was sold, which was full service. So when we got to the honeymoon suite they had changed the bed since I had booked. Now, the two selling points for their honeymoon suite were the GIANT whirlpool tub and the STUNNING canopy bed, perfect for that requisite hanging wedding dress photo. Well, the bed wasn’t there. It was a four poster bed with no canopy. When I sent the fiancé to check what happened I was told that the bed had been replaced two months prior and that was that. Again, I understand that things have to be replaced but I think it is at least worth notifying the pre-booked guests, especially a wedding, so that expectations can be changed. It sounds melodramatic but I started crying because so far the Gastonian was just NOT what I was sold/expected. The two fireplaces were filthy with matches, the chairs in the place were barely held together, the armoire for our clothes had the TV in it, rending it useless and nowhere to hang our clothes, and the ironing board cover was stained/burned. There were burned out light bulbs in two sconces, the beautiful double doors didn’t seem to actually close. I finally got myself together and went to ask Lance about the doors and somewhere to hang my dress up until the morning because I was told it would wrinkle in the bag. I was told that the only place to store it is in the storage closet downstairs and that it is kind of dusty and might get dirty. I was told that he wasn’t sure about the doors and “If you yank on them and they move, then they work, otherwise, they don’t.” To be honest my fiancé and I were so appalled at this point that we discussed actually cancelling the entire affair because we felt complexly unwelcome and as if we were a nuisance to the staff. There were two cookies on the bed when we checked in, which is nice I suppose except that they were not gluten free, so I couldn’t actually enjoy them.

To their credit they were flexible with me about the number of people who could attend the ceremony and my sister was unhappy with the small room originally given her and they did let her switch to a much better room of the same price point.

The morning of our wedding arrived and we had ordered gluten free French toast, which was something I had specifically asked about in my emails. I was told that morning, when cold breakfast arrived that they made me pancakes instead because the store was out of gluten free bread. Again it would have been nice to have been told about that before it being decided that pancakes were close enough but there it was.

Instead of continuing, I am going to end with saying that it was so bad that they volunteered to refund our money. The new innkeeper was only on staff a few weeks and I think they were in a state of flux. Hopefully it gets better but I for one would not recommend getting married there unless staying there overnight as just a guest first.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Maggie C
Gastonian, General Manager at The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you very much for your honest review of your experience. I was honored to be present on your special day, assisting with the wedding preparations from setting the table to helping you with your dress. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us, and for the number of issues that you encountered during your time at the Gastonian.

Since I joined The Gastonian, I have addressed how we handle food allergies, including gluten free dietary needs. We now have an exclusively gluten free menu for guests with these needs. I have had several guests with Celiac Disease stay with us since your departure, and they have all loved it. I certainly appreciate you letting me know during your time with us that this needed to be addressed, and giving me the opportunity to do so. I've also addressed your concerns with our employees, and I can assure you that our guest service representatives are aware that we disappointed you, and know how to better serve our guests in the future.

Please know that your concerns about not being able to connect with the new Officiate, and the change of the bed in the honeymoon suite were one-time adjustments, and I am sorry that we were making these changes at the time of your wedding and its planning. We're confident that our Officiate is doing a good job, and we are continuing to make upgrades to the Honeymoon Suite. I am very sorry that you found the new bed to be disappointing.

At the time of your departure, it was my understanding that you were pleased with your wedding ceremony, and for that I am very grateful. I do sincerely hope that memories of your wedding at The Gastonian will be filled with good moments and pleasant thoughts, and that the points that were disappointing to you will be diminished by the knowing that we are working to improve.

Please do contact me directly the next time you are visiting Savannah, and I will personally ensure that you are given an extraordinary room and the utmost in professional service. We would very much appreciate another opportunity to provide you with the accommodations you expected.

Best regards,

Hallie Mobley
Innkeeper
The Gastonian
Connecticut
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed at the Gastonian on a stop in Savannah as we traveled to the Keys. The property itself is beautiful. We stayed in the main house on the second floor. The house is in excellent condition, beautifully furnished and very attractive. Our room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The two-sink bathroom included a tub/shower/jacuzzi. Upon checking in, we found the concierge very welcoming and helpful. She made dinner reservations for us at the “Olde Pink House” where we found ourselves at a prime table on the second floor, next to a window. It is unlikely that we would have obtained this table if we had reserved on our own. In addition to the excellent sleeping accommodations, the Gastonian provides a full breakfast with a choice of eggs, waffles, sausage, bacon etc. All were cooked to order. Wine and cheese along with hors d’oeuvres are served in the main rooms between four and six. Dessert is available after dinner. With the friendly, helpful staff, the comfortable room and the breakfast, cocktail hour and dessert hours, the Gastonian is one of the best B&B’s we have encountered.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Gastonian for a wedding in Savannah and it exceeded all expectations! The staff was so friendly, especially Mario. The food was delicious and the rooms were spectacular. Such a romantic place. I'd recommend it to anyone traveling in the savannah area!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends