“Absolutely Amazing Romantic Stay”

The Gastonian - A Boutique Inn
Ranked #6 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Absolutely Amazing Romantic Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

We booked the Gastonian, with a little apprehension because we've never stayed at a B&B before. After researching all the B&B's in Savannah, I chose the Gastonian due to the Breakfast Tray service so we could have our privacy on our anniversary weekend. I was absolutely amazed that we ended up with the Carcalla Suite, I thought for sure the room was taken. The pictures do the room no justice, it is breath taking. The whirlpool tub is huge enough for both of us to sit and move around. There was a review on this suite that said they didn't like the tub due to not being able to stand up and shower, why not just sit down? The first night I used both tubes of bubbles, thinking it wouldn't be enough, but it was too much bubbles! Our cab was arranged for us for our dinner to the Melting Pot. Everything just seemed to be so easy, no hussle & bustle to get here there by driving. When we returned our Romance Package was waiting for us and totally worth it! Breakfast was delicious! I was so sad to leave, but knew we'd be back. We didn't really attend the afternoon wine reception with hors d’oeuvres daily from 4:30 - 6:00 pm or Desserts and cordials are served from 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm. We really wanted to spend our time alone, but you may however choose to enjoy these amenities.

The few issues I had with the Gastonian:
~ You have to cancel your reservation before the 10th day you are scheduled to arrive or they will issue you a gift card. My husband decided we would do a cruise instead for our anniversary, while I had this planned. I thought the reservations would be easy to cancel. Not so much. I actually booked on the 10th day and was told I couldn't have even cancelled that day either.
~The TV is super small and not in front of the bed. You had to sit in chairs to watch it. Really, we weren't really watching much TV.
~The hardwood floors were sandy and noisy. We could hear the people upstairs very easily during the day. You have to keep in mind this is a historic hotel built in the 1860's, so they weren't built as sound proof as most hotels.
~Wasn't in walking distance to Riverstreet, I thought the map I looked at was misleading but my husband says I just read it wrong. LOL Also, since this was the first weekend of the month, Riverstreet has a festival and is very noisy, so I was told that our B&B was the perfect choice for that weekend.

All in all, the pro's really outweigh the con's for this hotel. Enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

At the Gastonian, details are precious. The staff (front desk, kitchen, and concierge) is courteous, helpful, discrete and friendly. Every room is drop dead gorgeous and tastefully decorated. I really got the flavour of Savannah at the Gastonian. The Four o’clock tea and the nine o'clock cordial hour were so pleasant. It gives guests a chance to meet each other and compare notes. Being from Canada, it was so nice to people from different parts of the United States. I would recommend anyone who is travelling to Savannah, whether it is for business or pleasure, to go to the Gatoninan. You will not be disappointed. It’s like coming home for the Christmas holidays.

Centreville, Virginia, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at The Gastonian for the first three days of our honeymoon in Savannah. The inn was absolutely beautiful, romantic, and clean. The staff was incredibly kind, courteous, and helpful, too. Each morning, we ordered breakfast to be brought to our room and the food was delicious! The inn is located right near Forsythe Park, which allows for romantic walks or a family picnic. Our room was large and beautiful. The only thing we noticed that wasn't working properly was the whirpool tub, but that didn't have an impact on our stay. We would happily stay at The Gastonian again.

Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2010

We found the Gastonian on Trip Advisor and liked the reviews. It was our first stay at a bed n breakfast. We stayed 4 nights in Savanah and never wanted to leave. The staff was very accomodating. The food was Delicious! Our room was gorgeous and ( the Lafayette Suite) we will request it again. We even found the other guests as equally charming and we always had good stories to share after a day on the town.
The Gastonian is situated in a very quiet neighborhood close to Forsyth Park. It was nice to be away from the noisy part of downtown. You can get in a healthy walk to almost any point in town. Trolley stops were close by incase you tired easily. I would strongly recommend The Gastonian to anyone. It was worth the 14 hour drive!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2010

Our stay at the Gastonian was wonderful, as we stopped here as part of our honeymoon. The staff was extremely friendly, treated us like family, and helped us find some wonderful things to do around town.
The rooms were beautiful and very spacious.
We really liked getting breakfast in our room in the morning. The food was delicious.
I'd highly recommend the Gastonian both to honeymooners and other young couples like us.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Palm Harbor, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Gastonian is a lovely place, clean and quiet. The entire staff was very accommodating and quite pleasant. We very much enloyed the food! The afternoon wine and hors d'oeuvres were excellent and we we so enjoyed this time with many of the other guests.
The Gastonian is a bit removed from the activity of the riverfront, but we quite liked this. We were still within walking distance of most of the places of interest and when we needed it, our tour buses and pedi-cabs picked us up at our front door and delivered us back there!
I've just recommended The Gastonian to good friends and I know they will not be disappointed!
We're already planning our next trip there!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank SallyMusselman
Brunswick, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the Gastonian. The interior and exterior are both absolutely georgous! Our room, the Julia Scarborough, was roomy, comfy and beautifully decorated. We had a great nights sleep! The staff went above and beyond recommending tours, restaurants, and things to see and do. They also were very helpful in arranging transportation for us to get around, often at the last minute in a rainstorm. Scrumptious food and drink were frequently available, for breakfast as well as afternoon snacks, evening desserts and turndown service. We had an amazing anniversary weekend at teh Gastonian and will be returning the first chance we get!