“Excellent B&B experience”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #5 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Excellent B&B experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights. Everything was first rate, with the exception of the breakfasts. There was nothing wrong with them, but the egg dishes were only average. Compared to the quality of everything else associated with our stay, this was the only minor disappointment. I would recommend the Eliza Thompson House to anyone looking for a B&B in the historic district of Savannah.

1 Thank eoscc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I so wanted to be able to give the Eliza Thompson House a 5 star review. While our stay was overall very good, there is room for improvement. But I'll get to that later. I do not understand why several reviewers have "dinged" the ETH for the parking situation. The home was built in the mid-1800's and is very similar to a brownstone (with attached homes on either side in a row). They cannot do anything about the street parking, its availability (or lack thereof). But the entire staff, especially Kevin, do everything in their power to help find close parking and make sure the guests are aware of where to park. We were greeted with big smiles, welcoming us to the ETH, by Kevin. We parked on the street right in front of the home and didn't have a couple of quarters to put in the meter, so Kevin ran out and put a couple in for us. That was SO kind! He helped us with our luggage to our room, made sure the air conditioning was set to a comfortable level, and asked us if there was anything else we needed. There was an iron, but no ironing board, so Kevin got one for us right away. We were put in the Carter Room, which is a parlor level "luxury" main house room. I say "put", because you can't request exactly which room you want when making your reservation. It was a nice enough room, but I wouldn't have chosen a parlor level room. I did ask Kevin about this, and he told me even though you can't pick the specific room at the time of reservation, you can call the Inn and let them know which room you want. So if you have a specific room in mind, DO call them after making your reservation to make sure you get it. Also....you do not want the Carter Room if you are a light sleeper or like sleeping past 7:00. This room is right next to the prep kitchen and ice machine, so you hear banging as the staff prepare for breakfast. Also, this room is just above the courtyard where early risers are already eating breakfast. Conversations can be easily heard. My husband and I are not early risers and are also light sleepers, so this was a problem. Next this brings me to breakfast. I keep seeing rave reviews for the breakfast and I just don't get it. In fact, the breakfast they serve nearly had me give this lovely Inn 3 stars instead of 4. Our first morning they served an egg casserole that was ok at best. They scrambled the eggs and added some tomato based sauce (a salsa type sauce) and cheese to the eggs. Now I can't stand any tomato taste to my eggs, so maybe that was the problem. The sausage was dry and tasted like the frozen, pre-sliced kind. The biscuits weren't bad and the grits were so-so (creamy but no flavor). My husband doesn't like eggs, so he had the muffins and cereal. The muffins were store bought and tasted like it. The cereal gets left out day after day in the containers (that are outside), so it was a bit stale. For over $200 a night, breakfast should be phenomenal, not barely edible. This is an easy fix for the ETH and they really, really need to fix it. It was truly the worst breakfast of any B & B we've stayed at. And my husband and I have stayed at well over 30 B & B's in our 18 year marriage. I'm thinking some of the reviews that call it a "great southern breakfast" have never truly had a great southern breakfast. Being from the south myself, I know one when I get one. We had to eat out the last day we were there. We couldn't take it any more. Ok...enough about breakfast. You get the point. The desserts in the evening are good, but also store bought and not cooked on site. Homemade desserts would also be a nice touch, or at least ordered from a real bakery. Now all of that being said, the housekeeping staff did a great job of keeping the room clean every day. However....only 2 towels for me and my husband is ridiculous. Even cheap chain hotels give you 4 towels. To their credit, had I complained to them while we were there I do believe they would have given us 2 more towels. But a guest shouldn't have to request 4 towels. It should be standard. Our bed was quite comfortable and the linens clean. The air conditioning is loud, but it does work very well. The staff is far and away the best feature of the Eliza Thompson House. I honestly believe it's what keeps the place getting rave reviews. All of them are so helpful and kind it almost makes me overlook the other stuff....almost.
In a nutshell:
Pros: Incredible staff, excellent location, beautiful old home, gorgeous courtyard, comfy bed.
Cons: Parlor level rooms are noisy, breakfast is just ok at best, only 1 towel per person, you can't choose your room (at least for the luxury main house rooms) at the time of reservation.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Do not get the Carter Room. It is noisy due to being right at...
2 Thank FionaJ68
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Would highly recommend this charming B+B. It was beautifully decorated and made you feel like a part of this amazing city rich in History. The staff was friendly and knowledgable about easy access to all the area activities. Great breakfast in their beautiful courtyard, afternoon wine and hors doeuvres in the parlor late afternoon and coffee and desserts later in the evening where you could meet and share Savannah experiences with other guests. Had a memorable 40 th anniversary vacation. We would definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Eliza Thompson web site is great to see the rooms to make your choice and easy to navigate
Big Spring
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

As first-time visitors to Savannah, we could not have chosen a more welcoming, hospitable bed and breakfast. The staff was unfailingly helpful with information and reservations. The breakfasts were Southern right down to the grits! A most pleasant place to stay; we will return.

Room Tip: Enjoyed the corner room overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Wiesbaden, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have stayed twice at the Eliza Thompson House and we plan to return again and again! This time we were in town for my daughter's wedding and this hotel made it an even more special event! The staff was very welcoming and were always there for us whenever we had a request or a need! The rooms are charming and comfortable, and each one is different and unique. This time we stayed on the ground floor with an outside entrance to our room. This gave us a sense of complete privacy. One of the best features of the hotel is the courtyard! The fountains, beautiful garden statues, greenery and flowers were wonderful! Breakfast, which changes daily (but always has creamy grits!), was served in the courtyard and was a peaceful, relaxing way to begin the day. The hotel is located within easy walking distance from downtown and Forsyth Park, so its location is perfect. The beds are comfortable, and the afternoon wine and cheese and evening coffee and dessert are the extra touches that make this hotel stand above the others! Special kudos go out to Nell who, with her Southern Charm, made us feel like VIP's! We will be back!

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my first trip to Savannah and wanting a cute little B&B experience like the Elliott House in Charleston, I searched online until I found the Eliza Thompson House. Picturesque rooms...check. Soothing outdoor courtyard with running water...check. Wine and cheese hour...check. Coffee and dessert hour...bonus! I was impressed with the friendliness among both the staff and the guests, who had plenty of time to mingle among all of the above events, swapping stories of where to go and what to do next. Kevin was phenomenal, meeting us outside at our arrival to help us with our bags and attending our meter when it turned out to be broken. He was always available to answer our questions, offer a friendly tip, and remember the details of what we'd previously discussed. The location was central to most Savannah activities, allowing you to park your car and leave it except for the occasional visit to Tybee Island or move for street parking. The only thing I would add is for those with allergies, do make sure you bring your allergy meds. It is a city with lots of vegetation and lots of older buildings, so you will find yourself with a stuffy nose from time to time. The Eliza Thompson was a beautiful, relaxing place to make our central base for our long weekend, and I'd definitely stay here again in the future!

Room Tip: Our garden room was very quiet. It did get light from the courtyard, so bring a sleep mask if sensi...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Ellijay, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I am one who reads every review when booking a vacation. I will never stay anywhere else while in Savannah. Everything is perfect: location (close enough to walk, but quiet), food (and they keep coming out with hot food up until the last minute), rooms (while we stayed in the smallest room, it was still roomier than a typical hotel room and so inviting and comfy), and staff! I can't say enough about how helpful the staff was. Ms. Nell at the inn went above and beyond for us during out stay. I can't stress enough for you to stop looking and book the Eliza Thompson House. It was one of the best experiences I've had, and my family travels often. We will be back!!!

1 Thank HopeHEllijay