“Nice amenities, really noisy room, unhelpful staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eliza Thompson House Savannah

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #4 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
San Diego
“Nice amenities, really noisy room, unhelpful staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a classy old B&B with an antique type décor. They have a very good breakfast prepared by a good cook, there is a happy hour with wine and snacks at 5:30 and desert at 8:30. The happy hour and desert are held in the parlor, which is the common area. These events gave us the opportunity to meet the other guests and have some nice conversations.
Unfortunately, we were in room 110. In this hotel, registration is on the second floor. Room 110 is entered directly from the sidewalk. Room 110 is on the first floor, next to the entry steps and below registration and directly below the parlor. This means that from just before 7:00AM until 10:30PM there are constant steps and constant talking from above this unit with very little noise insulation. Both the happy hour and the desert are held directly above this unit. As result, you cannot go to bed before 10:30 or sleep in past 7:00 or take a nap.
We were also disappointed with the staff at registration. We checked in at 1:30 and the lady at check in made it clear that she had no time to help us in any way. She passed us off to some guy to show us around and take us to our room. He went so fast that my wife could not keep up. We are used to the people at reception helping us with sightseeing, restaurants, etc. This was not possible here.
We would return here but would be very careful with the room assignment. There are some good rooms and some bad rooms.

Room Tip: Be careful of the rooms which you enter from the sidewalk and any rooms close to the outside or inte...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jimandcarolstravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I chose this hotel based on TA reviews and stayed one night in a standard room. I arrived early (at 7am) and though a room wasn't ready, Alexine at the front desk was so warm and helpful--I felt like I was being welcomed by family. She made sure I was comfortable in the parlour, had access to breakfast, and helped get me oriented to the city--I was tired and the attention she showed was really appreciated. My room was cozy and the wifi connection was strong. Lots of tasty choices for breakfast (a hot item, biscuits, grits, sausage and bacon, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc). I loved the evening wine and cheese hour and the later dessert time--these were great opportunities to chat with other guests. I was travelling solo and ended up going for dinner with guests I met during the wine & cheese hour. Also, sherry available for a nightcap--just another example of the spirit of generosity and hospitality that pervades this inn. Would love to stay here again and would 100% recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after our wedding for couple of days and it was perfect!!! Beautiful surroundings, food was great, room cozy and everything we needed!! We would definitely come back and stay here!!! It was a short walk from downtown but the location on Jones Street was beautiful!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Westfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband & I were glad this property was located a few blocks away from the busier & noisier areas. We enjoyed walking up beautiful Bull St. through the lovely parks and squares, but were glad to return to the more peaceful neighborhood on Jones Street. Our room was well decorated with beautiful furniture and paintings. I also noticed that the mattress was quite comfortable. We especially enjoyed having a glass of wine in the front parlor before we left for dinner so that we could meet & chat with some of the other guests. Breakfast was very nice in the beautiful interior courtyard. The staff was very friendly and eager to please & help in any way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swilt46920
amiga1109
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My 2 sisters and I stayed for 3 nights in the A. Turner room. It was clean, inviting and very comfortable. Everything was within walking distance although it seems a bit far on the map. Breakfast was very good and Miss. Virginia was very kind . Brandon and Erin were very polite and accommodating. The appetizers and wine were a plus! Of course, I must admit that my sisters and I enjoyed having a Sherry nightcap which was freely available in the parlor. Would I stay here again? ABSOLUTELY

Room Tip: Pick a room in the main house. Other guests had rooms in the lower floors and stated how they enjoy...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Wallingford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

By husband and I stayed here for our fifteen anniversary celebration. Due to multiple plane delays we arrived in Savannah at 3:00 in the morning. We had called the hotel to let them know we could be that late and they told us not to worry someone was at the desk 24 hours. I don't usually like small inns or B&Bs as they lack privacy and you feel that people are keeping track of you. We wanted to stay somewhere that had alot of charm. This place certainly fit that bill. And it is big enough that you have plenty of privacy. We stayed in the main Inn in the only room that has a king bed. The room was very attactive. It had a fireplace and a nice poster bed. It didn't have any view, however. It looked out on another building. There was only about a foot between the window and the wall of the next building. So don't expect to get any air from the windows. The air condition worked well however so it really wasn't an issue for us. If we went back however, I might sacrifice the kind bed for a room with a view. The only other issue was that the bathroom was very small. No way to sit on the throne without having the shower curtain hitting your leg. The breakfast which was included every morning was really nice--good selection. Loved the biskets. We only went to the wine and cheese hour once due to our plans but that was also very enjoyable. The staff at the hotel were all very accomodating. My husband arranged for the romance package one night--came back to champagne and rose petals. Very nice. I would recommend this Inn for a Romantic weekend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 712christineg
central Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and I loved everything about Eliza Thompson, The rooms had great old character and the folks that run this small hotel were very warm and helpful. The highlight was the lovely garden with fountain that was wonderful for enjoying complementary wine and snacks in the evening and breakfast buffet in the morning. A great location just a couple blocks from Forsyth Park in an area with many old mansions and green squares, a bit away from the rowdier tourist scene near the river.

Room Tip: From our room overlooking the garden, we could hear the relaxing sounds of water from the fountain e...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple