“Just great. Very happy.”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #6 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Just great. Very happy.”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed here solo. Very happy with my choice. Lee Room in the main house. I think Main House is probably the way to go. Friendly staff. Great location. Loved the bkfst, cheese and wine time and dessert time (loved the dessert time a little TOO much judging by the scale when I got home!). I only wish the weather was a little better so I could have enjoyed the courtyard more.

Room Tip: Stay the main house. Take advantage of the lovely parlour at wine/cheese time to mingle with others...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank yesimallpacked

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Pipersville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This place is very well located because it is a block away from Mrs. Wilkes restaurant! :) The B&B is nice. They serve wine and cheese in the early evening and late night they served petite cupcakes and cake. We thought it was a nice touch. Breakfast is OK- home cooked with a fair selection. We had a room on the ground floor. I guess this is the case with old buildings, but you can hear the water running in other rooms which can be disruptive. It is a drawback so I would imagine if you rent a room on the top floor it will not be a problem. Our room did not have any real storage just an armoire so it was a bit awkward storing our clothes. Parking is annoying. They do not have a parking area so you need to park on the street and make sure you are lined up with the meter or, you guessed it- you get a ticket. Also, if you are parking overnight, etc. it is best to pay for an extended pass-the B&B can provide this. The people were nice, but a bit disorganized in getting our room ready. They are located on a very nice block with mature trees and are in a nice place that allows you to walk to places rather than drive. Would I stay there again, maybe, if there is not another place in the same area, if not yes, but top floor because of the water.

Room Tip: Try the top floor to avoid plumbing noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric H
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the B&B. We walked all over the historic district and didn't move our car once. I recommend room 130 which is very spacious and has windows on both the street and the courtyard. Afternoon drinks let us meet other interesting guests. Evening desserts were great. We'd appreciate some fresh fruit with breakfast.

Room Tip: I recommend room 130 which is very spacious and has windows on both the street and the courtyard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Infoc
Nice, France
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Loved the location, very friendly staff, great breakfasts, comfortable beds. We just think the floors could be cleaner, not vacuumed we'll enough. The bathroom fans were pretty clogged with lots of dust. Otherwise beds we're clean as well as bathtub

Room Tip: Check rooms online. Some are bigger than others
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lejardinmanom
south carolina
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Very intimate, low key property for those looking for an out of the way hotel.Love the breakfast which you can take out into the courtyard. Great location to see and wander over all of the history of "Old Savannah". Excellent staff that will look out for any of your personal needs, and within walking distance of any significant historical site in downtown. Many good restaurants nearby as well.

Room Tip: Each room is different and tastefully appointed in the old Southern Style. There is not a bad room i...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We chose this property based on location, availability (2 month in advance), and price. The location was almost perfect. It was right in the middle of the Historic District with easy walking to the most important sights. It was nice to have each day at 5:30PM complimentary wine and snacks and at 8:30pm some desserts. Some breakfast items were changed each of 3 days we stayed and were very tasty.. My only complaints there were that it was chilly sitting out in the open under the walkway, the food was a little too salty (I guess a Southern tradition), and breakfast began at 8AM. Now for the things we were not happy about. The room was very basic for such a historic house compared to other rooms after spending $210/night total. There was no turn down service each night as described on TA (no big deal). They kept the outside fountains going all night (to aerate the fish I guess), but it was a little irritating. The bathroom was pretty cramp. But the worst part was that the bath tub knobs looked like they were not cleaned for months. They were covered with soap scum and corrosion. It was disgusting (what you might find in a $39 motel). All they needed to do is use Comet or Soft Scrub from the very beginning of the installation each day. I would have given 3.5 stars, but I couldn't so I was generous with 4.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Don H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed for a single night - was visiting Savannah because of the book & was very happy to remember, while re-reading it on the train, that Jones Street featured. On the Book Tour that I took, it turned out that Joe Odom & John Berendt lived down the street.

The staff were lovely - I got in at 7am & the lady at reception let me leave my bags with her & directed me to the diner around the corner (Clary's Diner - from the book) for breakfast. When I came back, the room was ready & lovely - great shower, too.

The cheese & wine pre-dinner reception and post-dinner desert gathering was a nice way to meet other guests and breakfast the next morning was really nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo