“Great location and very comfortable accomodations”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #6 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay at the Eliza Thompson House (Saturday and Sunday). We've stayed at many bed and breakfasts and what I liked most about this one is that it had the feeling of a bed and breakfast but also the positives of staying at a hotel. Unlike most bed and breakfasts, there is a front desk that is always occupied should you need assistance. Also, the breakfast is not at a set time but rather served buffet style in the courtyard (which meant we had a bit more flexibility about what time we had to get up and get going). We did not take advantage of the wine and dessert but the parlor that they are served in is very nice and welcoming.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lindsey Room in the main part of the old house upstairs. It was very comfortable wi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Bruce and Patri... K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,215)

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at the Eliza Thompson House for a business trip, but I would recommend this spot for couples or a girls trip. The location is extremely convenient, Savannah is a very walkable city and in 3 days I didn't need a car once. It was fun to be on such a beautiful and quiet residential street among million-dollar homes.

I did notice a couple of reviews that took issue with the House seeming old or worn-down, I did not experience that in my room. I stayed in one of the king-bed courtyard rooms and it was very clean and quaint. I couldn't hear any noises from surrounding rooms, just the pleasant fountain in the courtyard. Yes, the bathroom was extremely small and the furniture antique-style, but that's part of the deal. My co-workers in the main house also enjoyed their rooms, which were a bit more traditional and luxurious in style. The daily breakfast was tasty both mornings, and while we never had time to enjoy the afternoon snacks or evening sweets I thought those were nice additions. For a business trip, it was extra nice to have free Wi-Fi in the entire house, rooms and courtyard. For the price, I felt like we received many amenities that typical hotels charge extra for.

Room Tip: If you want a bit more privacy from the main house, I would recommend one of the courtyard rooms. If...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JulianneNM
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was my second time staying at the Eliza Thompson House in Savannah and it won't be the last. My husband and I stayed in one of the rooms with the entrance on Jones Street and loved it. The room was very large and clean. The daily breakfast, afternoon wine and evening desserts were tasty and a good opportunity to meet the other guests. The home is very convenient to everything Savannah has to offer. We walked everywhere we went and felt very safe. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. You won't be disappointed staying here. The last night for dinner we walked to the Crystal Beer Parlor at 301 W Jones and had a nice casual dinner. It appeared to be a hot spot for the locals and the food was very good. It was a great trip to Savannah! :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie Y
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This was our second trip to Savannah and the first time to stay at The Eliza Thompson House. It is located on the most beautiful street in the Historic District of Savannah. It's location next to Bull Street with Abercorn the next main street over couldn't have been more convenient to anywhere you want to go in the Historic District. Wear comfortable shoes and start walking, it is the best way to see the area.

The staff is wonderful and attentive to any request or need you may have. Miss Virginia provided the breakfast each morning which was delicious and filling, so much so that we skipped lunch. Joining the other guests in the parlor each evening for wine and hors d'oeuvre was one of our favorite things while staying at The Eliza Thompson House. It was wonderful to visit with everyone regarding their own travels as well as hearing recommendations for activities and restaurants in Savannah. We were always ready to have a glass of wine and snack before heading back out for dinner. Dessert in the evening was equally nice however we only partook on one occasion. We were always ready to wind down in our room after a busy day of sightseeing. One of the reasons my husband choose The Eliza Thompson House is it is adults only. We love children, but this was a romantic getaway for us and it was really nice that is was adult only.

Our room (#118, ground floor on the courtyard) was nice, well appointed with antiques and the bed was very comfortable. The courtyard fountain didn't bother us at all, in fact we found the sound good "white noise" to drift off to. I would say that the only negative was the bathroom. It was very small with no counter space to put anything. One or two shelves on the wall and a hand towel rack rather than the free standing towel holder would help greatly.

We really enjoyed our stay at The Eliza Thompson House and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeverlyArkansas
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights, Jan. 7-11, 2014, and found it to be absolutely wonderful. We wanted a room with 2 beds, and had our choice of 3 rooms when we checked in. Our room was on the first floor, close to the lobby area (room 121), with a powder room across the hall, which was nice, because with 2 women friends traveling together, one of us could use the "facilities" there while the other might be showering, etc. There were plenty of towels and washcloths furnished, which was nice. We had a view of the street, which was nice. The staff was absolutely delightful, so friendly and helpful, each one. Virginia, the cook, and Shirley, her helper, were always very attentive at breakfast, which was in a glassed-in, heated area off of the courtyard (where one could eat during warm days, which ours weren't!!), and contrary to one negative review I read, the breakfast was not what you get at any other generic standard breakfast buffet. It was delicious, with lots of choices, and delicious grits also each morning! The early evening "social time" in the parlor with wine and hors deouvres was fun, and nice to visit with other visitors. And the dessert time at night was also, except we only partook of that once, because we were too full from dinner out!! The house is located in a wonderful location, at Jones and almost the corner of Bull St., easy walking to places in the historic area. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone--friends traveling together, couples, honeymooners, you name it!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank traveler0810
Reviewed 11 January 2014

On 1/10/14, I stayed at this charming B&B on the beautiful tree-lined Jones Street with a mix of residential homes and a few homes discreetly converted into businesses. It was fun looking at all the lovely homes with plaques indicating when they were built.

I was assigned Room 119, an outside corner room just two short flights of stairs down from the main house. I liked being able to leave from a side door instead of having to pass through the main house/ welcome desk. The room overlooks a courtyard with a fountain. The constant sound of the water flowing didn't bother me at night. It is a good size, well maintained and nicely appointed with dark cherry wood armoire and dresser. There are also two upholstered chairs and a nightstand. The queen size bed was comfortable with a pillow top mattress, which wasn't too soft though. The bathroom was clean with an elegant off white & grey floral wallpaper. The rain shower head was especially nice with a good flow of water.

The staff was friendly. The early evening (5:30pm) snack time was a pleasant opportunity to meet friendly visitors. The staff put out some crackers with cut up cheese, ham finger sandwiches, warm brie, red and white wine, and brandy. Desserts consisting of store bought carrot cake, chocolate cake, cream puffs and decaf coffee were put out at around 8:30pm. When I arrived at around 8:45pm, I was the only one so I just took a cream puff, a small slice of carrot cake and coffee to my room. A few of the guests had told me earlier that they were going out for dinner. Since I had a huge lunch at the highly recommended Olde Pink Restaurant, I decided to skip dinner since I had some of the early evening snacks. For breakfast which started at 8am in the semi-enclosed dining area in the courtyard, there was a good buffet selection of items like fried eggs, mini hash browns, fried fish, sausage links, biscuits, grits, breads, breakfast bars, muffins, milk, orange juice, and coffee.

The location on beautiful Jones street made all the main attractions accessible. It is less than five minutes to walk to Forsyth Park with the fountain. Walking on the parallel Bull street took me to all the main attractions by simply either going straight towards River Street or turning left or right onto side streets for easy access to attractions such as Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (they still had the Christmas displays that are fun to look at, as of 1/10/14), Colonial Park Cemetery, City Market and many squares. The furthest walk was to the Harbor Light off of Bay Street (or River Street). It took me about 5 hours to walk around to see the attractions and shop for sweets at the River Street Sweets including an hour lunch break. It was slightly humid which made the weather feel like 85 degrees. I had to strip down to my tank top at one point. It drizzled intermittently. There were also a lot of trolleys and alternative transportation options.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and stay at Eliza.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We spent two nights in this wonderful B&B and highly recommend it.

Location: fantastic, within a short walking distance to all major sights in the historic district; we did not drive and cannot comment on the parking situation.

Room: stayed in room 130, spacious with period details, quiet, bright; the bathroom is dated but as would expect in a historical home

Staff: extremely friendly and helpful

Breakfast: hearty; although it was a bit chilly to sit in the courtyard, it would have been a lovely space to have breakfast

Special features: we appreciated the nightly wine (and Sherry) and cheese (and other delicious savory and sweet treats) as a great opportunity to meet other travelers and their travel tips; wifi works well

Value: we booked ahead and thought the place has a great value

Room Tip: Room 130 is one of the largest
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple