“Beautiful, historic inn centrally located in Savannah”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #6 of 116 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Our family of six stayed at the Eliza Thompson House over a long weekend in December. No children are allowed so keep that in mind when making reservations. My daughters are all adults so we did not have an issue. The house is absolutely beautiful with all its historic charm and it is centrally located. We walked everywhere and Mrs. Wilkes is just a few short blocks away, which I highly recommend as well. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful! My only regret is that we couldn't spend more time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,227)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Beautiful building in a fantastic location for seeing Savannah by foot. Everyone was friendly. The breakfast was delicious. We had the Lafayette room in the back off the courtyard - small but comfortable. The early evening wine & cheese, and the after dinner coffee & desert was a fantastic touch. Gave you a great opportunity to sit in the lovely main room and meet & talk with other guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We chose Eliza Thompson House because of the pictures, rates, and reviews. What we found was a beautifully kept historic house with a friendly, very helpful staff - and a breakfast buffet to die for!
We were there the three days before the Valentine's weekend, and because of the snowstorm that socked the NE, we were stranded. Nell and landlady Sheila went out of their way to see that we were accommodated even though it meant moving around, which we didn't mind. We got to stay in three different rooms, all of them comfortable and lovely. Our train finally left two days late, but we realized that if you're ever going to be stranded, the Eliza Thompson House in Savannah is the place to be.
Virginia, the cook, provided a wide range of hot choices for breakfast with variety each day - always some kind of egg casserole or omelet, sausages, home made hash browns, pancakes, biscuits, and the best grits I've ever eaten. It was too chilly to sit in the garden courtyard with the fountain, but in warm weather it would be a delight.
We left knowing that someday we would come back, and will not hesitate to book the E.T House again.

Room Tip: All three rooms we stayed in were comfortable, two were historic parts of the original house with th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maglaw2949
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Upon arriving everyone was friendly and helpful. They gave us a tour of the house and great information about the Savannah area. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I would highly recommend staying here and will defiantly be coming back.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Tooti2357
Reviewed 6 February 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay at the Eliza Thompson House (Saturday and Sunday). We've stayed at many bed and breakfasts and what I liked most about this one is that it had the feeling of a bed and breakfast but also the positives of staying at a hotel. Unlike most bed and breakfasts, there is a front desk that is always occupied should you need assistance. Also, the breakfast is not at a set time but rather served buffet style in the courtyard (which meant we had a bit more flexibility about what time we had to get up and get going). We did not take advantage of the wine and dessert but the parlor that they are served in is very nice and welcoming.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lindsey Room in the main part of the old house upstairs. It was very comfortable wi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Bruce and Patri... K
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stayed at the Eliza Thompson House for a business trip, but I would recommend this spot for couples or a girls trip. The location is extremely convenient, Savannah is a very walkable city and in 3 days I didn't need a car once. It was fun to be on such a beautiful and quiet residential street among million-dollar homes.

I did notice a couple of reviews that took issue with the House seeming old or worn-down, I did not experience that in my room. I stayed in one of the king-bed courtyard rooms and it was very clean and quaint. I couldn't hear any noises from surrounding rooms, just the pleasant fountain in the courtyard. Yes, the bathroom was extremely small and the furniture antique-style, but that's part of the deal. My co-workers in the main house also enjoyed their rooms, which were a bit more traditional and luxurious in style. The daily breakfast was tasty both mornings, and while we never had time to enjoy the afternoon snacks or evening sweets I thought those were nice additions. For a business trip, it was extra nice to have free Wi-Fi in the entire house, rooms and courtyard. For the price, I felt like we received many amenities that typical hotels charge extra for.

Room Tip: If you want a bit more privacy from the main house, I would recommend one of the courtyard rooms. If...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JulianneNM
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This was my second time staying at the Eliza Thompson House in Savannah and it won't be the last. My husband and I stayed in one of the rooms with the entrance on Jones Street and loved it. The room was very large and clean. The daily breakfast, afternoon wine and evening desserts were tasty and a good opportunity to meet the other guests. The home is very convenient to everything Savannah has to offer. We walked everywhere we went and felt very safe. All of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. You won't be disappointed staying here. The last night for dinner we walked to the Crystal Beer Parlor at 301 W Jones and had a nice casual dinner. It appeared to be a hot spot for the locals and the food was very good. It was a great trip to Savannah! :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple