“Perfect place to stay in historical Savannah”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #5 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My husband and I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast. We chose the Eliza Thompson House because of good reviews. Wow! Were we pleased! Our room was beautiful (I suggest you try to get Room 130) and our stay at the Eliza Thompson House added to the experience of seeing historic Savannah. We enjoyed breakfast in the garden each morning, wine and cheese in the afternoons (when we weren't out exploring) and dessert and coffee each evening (when we weren't out playing late).

Nell was a fabulous host and we enjoyed our time visiting with her. Kevin was also very helpful and friendly.

We plan on returning to Savannah as soon as possible and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Eliza Thompson House Savannah

Reviewed 23 June 2009

We stayed here for three nights on the first leg of our vacation. It was a wonderful little place. We had a pretty good sized room that overlooked a central courtyard with a fountain. This is an old house that really puts you back in the spirit of the early days of Savannah. They serve breakfast in the courtyard in the morning and they server wine, pastries, and snacks in the sitting room in the evening.

The staff was helpful and nice. Free parking pass for parking on the street (and all over historic Savannah). Our stay was very laid back and the place was quiet, there were a few other couples but we pretty much felt like we had the whole place to ourselves (not that many rooms to begin with).

Only negative was we had to drive down to the river front, would have been nicer to stay closer. You could walk it but it's quite a hike.

Great stay!! Would stay again.

Check out our blog (------------------)

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tripsthatdontsuck
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We had a Girlfriend Getaway to Savannah. The Eliza Thompson house was wonderful!! Every detail from the room, the concierge, Kevin, and the breakfast and snacks were beyond our expectations. The location is quiet but close to downtown. I did a lot of research and Eliza was the best location and value. On our last morning, we walked to Mrs. Wilkes for lunch ( one block). The breakfast was excellant...choices from an egg casserole to cereal and everything in between.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank TexasRover
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon in Savannah, where we stayed at this charming historic inn. The Eliza Thompson house was an EXCELLENT choice for us. It is located in the historic district, within walking distance of all Savannah attractions, and yet on a quiet street and away from the bustle of the riverfront -- perfect for a honeymooning couple. Our room was in the main inn building. From the layout, it seemed to be one of the smaller rooms in the inn, but was perfectly ample for us. The furnishings were charming and very comfortable. The inn provides an wonderful buffet breakfast each morning the courtyard (fantastic! My husband could not stop eating the biscuits!) and there are appetizers and drinks in the parlor in the early evenings, and dessert and coffee in the late evening. The turndown service is lovely touch. They really take quite good care of you here. We were sorry to go, but are already looking forward to returning to Savannah in the future! (What a wonderful place to visit.) I would absolutely return to the Eliza Thompson House, or I would consider one of the other properties run by the same people (I believe they are called the Historic Bed and Breakfasts of Savannah, or something very similar). They have a few other historic properties in the area and seem to provide the same service and amenities at each.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2009

A great bed and breakfast on a beautiful street. this was my first B&B and now I think I'm spoiled. The price is a little steep but well worth it. You definitely get what you pay for. You get a great hot/cold breakfast every morning. The rooms were very clean and the staff was wonderful. I recommend you stick around in the evening for the wine tasting!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2009

I have stayed at the Eliza Thompson House several times, and my favorite room is #130. I checked in last night and discovered it has been1 recently renovated. It is even more beautiful then before. Great job to the Innkeeper

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Recently my girlfriends and I took a trip to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. While in Georgia we stayed at The Eliza Thompson House for 3 days. The staff was very, very attentive. The moment we pulled up in front of the house, we had Tony at our car door welcoming and ushering us into the house while he paid the meter and unloaded the car. Check in was a breeze and pleasant. We had reserved the Telfair Room, which was wonderfully sized for the 4 of us ladies. Upon entrance, we found Tony had all of our luggage arranged on stands, our beds turned down, chocolates on the pillows and robes placed thoughtfully for each of us. He also had the forecast for the following day prepared on a card, which was placed by the on CD player at the bed side. These nice touches were repeated each evening. There were 2 very comfortable queen beds, with lovely linens (all appeared to be brand new). The bathroom was not huge, but a fine size. The room had multiple mirrors which came in very handy for all of us getting ready at the same time. Our door opened up to the outdoors and faced Jones Street (the street just in front of the inn). Breakfast was served each morning (on the patio), which consisted of an egg/cheese casserole, hashbrowns, grits, bacon, sausage, yougurt, fruit and a variety of breads, hot drinks and juices. Each evening a lovely spread of appetizers and wine were served in the "living room or lounge". Later each evening, there was a cake and hot drinks available in the same area. There was a computer with internet access always available, with a printer as well in the living room. I found the Eliza Thompson house (as a whole, my room, the house itself, and the outdoors) to be very comfortable and extremely pleasant. The staff really went out of their way to make us feel special and they truly seem to love their jobs. One evening for example we had another guest coming in, which we picked up at the airport. When we returned, there was no parking immediately in front of the house, but instead just across Bull Street. The attendants are so observant, Kevin in this case, saw us arrive and park a bit a way, and he raced over to help with luggage! That was outstanding! I read several reviews when deciding where to stay while in Savannah, and a few times The Eliza Thompson House had dustiness mentioned -- I went out of my way to find some trace and was happily unable!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank MaryBethOnTheGo-Go