“Beautiful B&B that makes you feel right at home in Savannah”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #6 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 22 October 2009

My husband and I recently stayed for three nights at the Eliza Thompson House for our honeymoon. We stayed in the J Stephens room (room 130) and had a fantastic experience. Here are some of the things we loved:

--The J Stephens room was lovely and spacious, with a bay window on one side looking over the courtyard and two windows on the opposite wall looking over Jones St. The room has a large bed and fireplace, as well as a jet tub in the bathroom. Apparently this used to be Eliza Thompson's master bedroom, and I can see why; it's gorgeous!

--The staff were always helpful and courteous. They gave us meal recommendations and helped us book reservations at restaurants and on a ghost tour. When we thought our jet tub didn't work (it did, we just didn't see a switch that needed to be turned on), they were prompt about checking out the situation.

--There are lots of extra touches that make this place special, like daily hors devours and dessert, umbrellas to borrow in the rain, and chocolates on the bed each night

--The location is wonderful. At first we were concerned that the inn was on the south side of town and not that close to the waterfront, but after a day of seeing Savannah we realized we were staying in one of the prettiest areas of town, much more residential than areas closer to the waterfront. Everything is walkable if you are in decent shape.

I was surprised at some of the negative reviews on this site. Either my husband and I expect less than some people, or they've made improvements recently, but we really had no complaints.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dek516

Reviewed 6 October 2009

I will start off with the positive aspects: For walkers, this B&B is the perfect location. It is a little under a mile to River Street (.68, I think) and maybe a quarter of a mile to Forsyth Park. We parked the car when we arrived and never moved it until we checked out. We were very sore for the next few days, but it was so great to walk through all of the beautiful streets and squares. The House is located on possibly the prettiest street in Savannah. Kevin(?) was incredibly nice and went out of his way to accommodate us. The breakfast was very good (hot egg casserole, bacon and sausage links, potato patties, hot biscuits, and a variety of cold items and fruit). The wine and cheese was a lot more than just wine and cheese. They had hot items and a vegetable tray. Dessert was average, but then again, who needs a lot of dessert before bedtime? The courtyard is spacious and lovely.
Negatives: The main house looks exactly like the pictures on the website- very beautiful; however, the carriage house lacks such elegance. The room reminded me of a grandma's house rather than an elegant B&B (not what I was expecting for the price/night). However, the room did have a great view of the courtyard. The main house rooms are probably not lacking in elegance; although, I did not get a chance to see any additional rooms. Our bathroom was not as clean as it should have been. We found several hairs around the bathtub. We did not report this issue to the front desk, as I am sure they would have addressed/compensated for the lack of cleanliness, if so.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Absolutely loved this place. Was our first trip to Savannah and ended up staying here because we waited until the last minute to book something. Lucky for us it worked out this way because we not only loved the house, but the location was excellent. Had thought we wanted to stay closer to the river, but Jones street is by far more beautiful than any closer to the riverfront. Very short walk to both Forsyth Park and Mrs Wilkes, both of which should not be missed on a trip to Savannah. The walk to the riverfront was about a 10-15 minute leisurely stroll, but definitely walkable. The staff here was amazing as well, Kevin even made dinner reservations for us one night. Our room was great. Some may not like the fact that it faced Jones street, but I would absolutely stay here again. The desserts/coffee that they serve in the evening were ultra yummy, as well as the cheese and wine they served in the afternoon. Overall I loved this place. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

Wonderful location, very friendly staff! Felt right at home from the first minute. The room was charming and decorated in period furniture. Bed was very comfortable. Wine & Cheese reception each night was a nice opportunity to meet others staying in the hotel. Breakfast buffet was pleasant, also an opportunity to visit with other travelers. We never made the dessert and coffee reception - were too busy out and about enjoying the Savannah night life ! The bellman, Kevin was very helpful and pleasant. All of the staff always had a warm smile and greeting. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I chose the Eliza Thomspon House because it was able to accommodate my elderly cousin on a ground level suite. I was able to park on the street near the entrance to our comfortable room. The house is located on a quiet and lovely residential street in the historic district of Savannah. The full Southern breakfast in the inner courtyard was delightful with its gurgling fountain and beautiful plantings. You could not have asked for more. The staff was very friendly and efficient and made us feel very welcome.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My husband and I arranged a very last minute trip to Savannah. Everywhere was booked except the Eliza Thompson House and I am so glad that they were. the rooms were clean and beautiful. The staff was SUPERB!!! They were informative and helpful and friendly. We could not have asked for better accommodations! We just loved it!!!!! We look forward to our next trip and stay at this inn.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stacieenv
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My husband and I had never stayed at a bed and breakfast. We chose the Eliza Thompson House because of good reviews. Wow! Were we pleased! Our room was beautiful (I suggest you try to get Room 130) and our stay at the Eliza Thompson House added to the experience of seeing historic Savannah. We enjoyed breakfast in the garden each morning, wine and cheese in the afternoons (when we weren't out exploring) and dessert and coffee each evening (when we weren't out playing late).

Nell was a fabulous host and we enjoyed our time visiting with her. Kevin was also very helpful and friendly.

We plan on returning to Savannah as soon as possible and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple