“Perfect Savannah B&B to spend our 10th Anniversary”

Eliza Thompson House Savannah
Ranked #6 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA
“Perfect Savannah B&B to spend our 10th Anniversary”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Great location in middle of historic district - we walked everywhere

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
New York
Reviewed 7 October 2010

A lovely B&B in Historic Savannah, central to everything. Very helpful staff in all regards.
Beautiful rooms, wonderful breakfast (hot and cold buffet). Wine and hors d'oeuvres every afternoon and coffee and dessert each evening. Original house dates to 1847. Additions have brought the number of guest rooms to 25. We enjoyed our communal time in the parlor and also out in the garden patio. Would definitely return. Loved it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2010

HCL is a Corporation that owns 4 or 5 other "B&B or "Inns" in the Savannah area. My mother and I visit Savannah once each year during the month of August. This year our stay was at Eliza Thompson. Our 200.00 per night room was large, comfortable and accommodating. Here are my issues: 1. No coffee maker in rooms or any coffee availability for us early risers! Guest Services Book states breakfast is at 7am. At 7:20am this morning, breakfast was still be placed out on outdoor patio. No to-go cups. 2. A traditional bed and breakfast will take your breakfast orders the night before...this is not the case. Why is placed on the outdoor buffet is what you get. Breakfast is hit and miss. 3. During the Wine and Cheese at 6:30pm in the parlor I would like to suggest that the Eliza thompson Host introduce each person as they arrive. This would make for easier transitions into conversation with guests. Mom and I felt a bit out of place because we did not know those in the parlor and our Host, although professional and very pleasant, was engaged in another conversation with 2 couples. THANKFULLY a young man by the name of Antonio, offered us a tour of the home and a view of some of the vacant rooms. Absolutely stunning! This alone, was worth the opportunity to stay at the Eliza Thompson. 4. No room service

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank shelbysmommy
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We just stayed there because the reviews seemed good, and we are so thankful we did! Excellent experience and weI would go back there everytime in the future when we visit Savannah. Their helpful staff directs you around the city and gives you ideas on dinner venues. All the extra complimentary things they offered were great, appetizers 5:00-7 then drinks and desserts 8:00-10, and a homemade breakfast in the morning in their quaint courtyard with big trees w/ spanish moss acting as the canopy. Overall our experience was vey delightful, and we are a young engaged couple, it appeals to all ages!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2010

My husband and i stayed here this past weekend for 3 days and it was amazing from the second we parked the car. These people mean business when they say "southern hospitality". We were greeted in the street with someone to take our bags up to our room and then give us the full blown history and tour of the house! We had wine and sherry in the main room with totally historical furniture and paintings, fireplace, yummy snacks and sandwiches. We spent a little time getting to know the staff and other guests. There are menus and people around to ask if you want to know where to eat. The walk is only 2 blecks from Forsyth park and its an amazing neighborhood. Between each rod iron gate is a new quaint southerners backyard manicured to perfection. Spanish moss abounds these live oaks that line every street and stray into courtyards. Its just amazing. The B&B courtyard is so pretty with statues and fountains and service people to take your plates as you serve yourself the best egg casserole, grits, sausage, bacon, the works! We stayed in the very best room in the whole house with the large double sitting areas, room 130 i think. It has a jetted deep tub and the bed has handcarved wood bedposts that twist up into a lace canopy. So pretty to wake up to. We had the champagne and berries greet us on the bed. They have turn down service. There is ample parking, which is waaayyyy more than the hotels can say down on river street. If you stay down by Bay street, river street area, you will have to most likely pay for parking. We couldnt find any anywhere! But on the upside you wouldnt have to drive to find restaurants. If you are headed down there for shopping anyways, then stay away from the hustle and bustle of the loud crowded streets and stay in the Forsyth Park area. Its only a 10 minute walk to the water anyways. Totally worth it for a good nights sleep in a quiet hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank acaligiuri7
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2010

My fiancee and I had a great time at the Eliza Thompson House. The staff was very cheery and friendly, and happy to give recommendations if asked. We particularly enjoyed having wine and snacks every evening. The breakfast was fine. There wasn't too much variety from day to day but everything tasted good. The room we stayed in was quaint and very comfortable. This is a definitely a good option if you want something a little quieter off the main strip, yet still within walking distance to many places in downtown Savannah. The only time we had to drive was going to the beach! I would definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Haughton, Louisiana
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Our trip was a short one, May 23-26, 2010. Our stay at Eliza Thompson house was "GREAT"; it couldn't have been better. Sunday "May 23, 2010" - DH & I arrived around noon, the room wasn't ready, but that was OK. They gave us a business card, and said either we could call them or they'd call when the room was ready. We walked around the city for 4 hours, came back and our room was upgraded from a Standard Queen to a Superior King Room #128 (AWESOME) !! How great is that, to start off your trip. Nell checked us in, very sweet lady, told us about Ms. Wilkes (great suggestion) !

Breakfast was a salsa egg casserole (very tasty) on Monday, crab & egg casserole on Wednesday, also, sausage, biscuits, and hash brown rounds, grits, muffins, granola bars, cereal, fruit (frozen but good), yogurt, coffee, orange juice and water.

5:00pm - a selection of finger sandwiches (ham & cheese); what appeared to be one sided panini sandwiches, deviled eggs, chicken salad w/crackers, soda's, wine (white or red)

8:00pm - a selection of cake and muffins

They also had two (2) waters in your room each day

DH & I had breakfast each morning out in the courtyard, appetizers @ 5:00pm on a couple of the days and sweets only once.

As far as the location, we had a car, but we chose to walk and it was a bit of a walk to some places but it was worth it. The street itself was lovely, I'm from the south and I was taken in by Savannah's beauty. We went to Savannah to relax and that's just what we did.

Sunday we went to River House Seafood just to have the "Chatham Artillery Punch" and let me tell you, it had a "more natural punch" to it. They could have won the Civil War if they had passed this drink out to all of the soldiers.

Monday we went to The Crab Shack @ Tybee Island; it's OK, my husband loved the Crab; I had the Low Country Boil, not enough spice for me. Next time we go to Savannah, I will take my Tony Chachere's with me. We also had a slice of Vinnie Van GoGo's pizza, and let me tell you that place is "different" but oh, so good. The pizza was HUGE, we got our two slices to go and it was in a medium size pizza box. No kiddin' !! I had never had New York style pizza before, pretty good !

Tuesday we went to Ms. Wilkes for lunch, oh my heavens, this was so good. I thought I cooked for an army or at least set the table for one. This place was great, if you were hungry you more naturally got your money's worth. $16 per person. I've heard folks say
on trip advisor that they felt rushed, nah, not at all. It was fun too ! We met folks from all over the place.

Tuesday night we went to a local hang out called 'Barnes BBQ"; the sauce they have to put on this BBQ was awesome. My husband had the ribs, he said they were falling off the bone, I had chopped beef, oh my ! As I say often, "it was good enough to slap your mama".

We also did a trolley tour and carriage ride, and we also Forrest Gump !

I have to say that The Warehouse on River Street is a great place to get a beer ($3.00 or $3.50) and they make a mean margarita too !!

In conclusion;
We paid $139.50 AAA rate for our room plus tax, but if you were on a limited budget, you could probably get by with just eating w/what Eliza Thompson served on a daily basis.
It's a personal preference, but to each his own. We didn't, but somebody else might.

We personally would recommend that folks who love history and just want to relax, stay @ The Eliza Thompson House.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple