“Andez is acceptable, but misses the details plus some!!”
Review of Andaz Savannah

Andaz Savannah
Ranked #12 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I looked for days on trip advisor for a fantastic and romantic hotel in Savannah for our 24th wedding anniversary and choose the Andez. We had never been to this town even though we have lived in Atlanta for the last 22 years. Because I was unfamiliar with the town I was really particular about reading through all the reviews. Although there were some average reviews on this hotel, none of them were bad and I now know why. This is not a bad hotel. But this is also not a great hotel. To start off with I booked directly with the hotel and in the comments section I asked to please make sure, if possible, that we would have a room with a view over the square with a balcony and I mentioned that it was our 24 yr anniversary. I called the hotel on the drive down there and they said that they had us in a room on the street side. I explained that I had asked for a room with a view to the square with a balcony-which is not an upgrade btw-. The nice lady I spoke with on the phone seemed surprised which let me know that no one even read my comment in my reservation. Oh well, thats ok because she said that it was no problem to move me into the room area I requested in the first place. So we get there and they are very nice and check us in and offer us a glass of wine-very cool!! Lobby is VERY small and very tight-pretty and simple, but not fancy. I again told the girl checking us in that it was our anniversary and we were glad to be there. She kindly got us all set up and we headed up the elevator (after sitting there for a while wondering why the elevator was not moving-lol-it is because you have to use your card to go up the elevator, or down the elevator, or go between floors, or get into the pool area on the 2nd floor-remember, you had to use your card just to get to the second floor so not sure why you have to use card again to get to pool. You also had to use card to get out of area-ROYAL pain!!!) When we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised because it is very cute. It is small but has a separate room and a nice little sitting area. We LOVED the fact that the mini bar has free non-alcoholic beverages and snacks BUT we were not very happy about the fact that the previous guests had left there leftover chicken fried chicken in the fridge and it was still there......it was gross but I did not want to get a housekeeper in trouble and we had just settled in and I did not want to start complaining right away. I just wanted to relax and enjoy myself, so we went and threw it away in the hall and started our anniversary. The location of the hotel is really good BUT any hotel in historic savannah overlooking a sqaure, and there are lots of them, are in a great location!! The bellman, Garfield was wonderful and we tipped him every chance we got because he was always so helpful and friendly but when he was not there no one else ever opened the door for us and it was not because they were too busy but because they were hanging out talking to each other. This did not happen a couple of times but every time, unless Garfield was standing there. Again, not that big of a deal, just something that I noticed. Ok, so here we are now at Sat night and we are awoken by a VERY loud and scary alarm-Fire alarm-which is going on long enough for us to jump out of bed and throw our clothes on and then it stops. I call downstairs and the girl tells me that someone pulled the alarm by mistake. Well, I guess things happen, right? So we get back in bed and about 30 mins later-it happens again!!!! Needless to say we did not sleep so well Sat night. Sun am at 9 am housekeeping knocks on our door and calls out "Housekeeping" and I go to the door thinking WTH are they bothering us on the morning we are checking out???? She apologizes and leaves. I assume they have our room confused with someone elses. Nothing huge makes this hotel a place not worthy of a visit but I am certain that there are far better options for less money. Also, not a big deal, but I found it very unprofessional and a bit rude that no one ever said "Happy Anniversary", nor even leave a little note in our room. Last year we stayed for the weekend at the Ritz Carlton in Atl and they were amazing-they left a beautiful note and left a cake and choc covered strawberries and a bottle of sparking juice in our suite with a beautiful rose. It meant the world to us and YES, I know it is the Ritz so you would not be surprised by their professionalism, but I really thought a small note or a simple "Thanks for choosing us to spend your anniversary with" would have been in order. For the money, you can do much better. I would stay at this hotel and leave a good review if the hotel was a budget hotel, not a $250 a night hotel!!!!!

2  Thank Petersons201
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Petersons201, congratulations on your anniversary! I am happy that you decided to spend it with us and am sorry we didn't take the time to acknowledge it while you were our guest. My apologies as well for the false fire alarm, they always scare me and I am sure it was unnerving. I will be sure to share your comments with our valet Garfield, he is the best. Hope to to see you again soon, Matt

There are newer reviews for Andaz Savannah

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Let me start the review by saying wow. This hotel is great: very very clean throughout ( in Savannah they take pride in their city), staff overall was very friendly (except sometimes the desk staff. other then check-in), and location is in the heart of the activities. Pool is open and heated nicely but only is a max four feet deep, but was refreshing as most people do not use it off season.

We had the loft room which had plenty of room with a couch and a chair and a small balcony.
They stock the fridge each day and provide snacks. All are free except alcohol. In room coffee is just ok and typical with powder milk. They should look at upgrading this aspect.

Valet parking was $23 per day but during a busy time is a good option, else you can self park. We opted for valet. I believe the website indicates $20 per day.

Two items surprised us. First the hotel did not assist me in getting flowers for my wife. They did provide me with a telephone number of a local florist that worked out great but they do not seems to help with the extra's which was a little surprising. Second on the day of our arrival we had made 6:00 PM dinner reservations in the hotel restaurant. When we got to our room the phone rings and even though they accepted the reservation they would not honor it until 7:30 or beyond because they were supporting a food event in their lobby as part of a local wine/food festival.

Overall a great hotel that I would highly recommend and will stay again when in Savannah.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the city to be away from the morning dumpster pick up
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

RayV555, thank you for your visit and for taking the time to review the hotel. My apologies for the confusion regarding your dinner reservation, we should not have taken a reservation if the table wouldn't be available. I am sorry as well that the staff referred you to a florist but did not make the arrangement themselves, certainly it would be easy enough for us to handle. Hope you have a chance to stay again soon- Matt

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Andaz Savannah is a very beautiful hotel in an excellent central location one block from the river. My room was booked for a stay during a business trip. It was on the 4th floor and decorated with beautiful furniture and accents. I also liked the nice bar downstairs and the excellent breakfast the next morning. I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

travelsafer, thank you for your very nice comments regarding your recent stay, I also hope you are able to stay again soon! Matt

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a good hotel in a great location. You really can walk everywhere. And the service was excellent - I was there for a business meeting and the staff only had to be asked once to do anything and often pre-empted what we needed. The lobby isn't the most atmospheric but you are checked in very promptly sitting on a sofa, which is a nice touch. The rooms are more characterful, decorated with style and charm. The nearly free minibar is a nice idea (anything non-alcoholic is on the house). But it's when you step out the hotel and realise that you are right in the heart of historic Savannah that you feel the main benefit of the hotel. The location is really great.

Room Tip: Choose a high up room to avoid city noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Zebanuck, thank you for visiting Andaz from so far away and thank you for your review. I am happy you enjoyed the hotel and Savannah and hope you will come back again, Matt

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Our stay at the Andaz was wonderful. The room was very clean and kept that way by excellent housekeeping, and the king bed was very comfortable. We also really appreciated the stocked refrigerator, especially the complimentary bottled water each day. (The only thing that detracted from an overall very satisfactory experience was the music at the "front desk" during check in was a bit loud for us, and others, arriving a bit rattled from a long day of travel.) The Andaz staff were friendly and knowledgable, especially Jacob who tended the very modern yet warm bar and gave us an excellent restaurant recommendation. We highly recommend the Andaz and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are nice and spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

baylaurel3, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for mentioning housekeeping and Jacob, I'll be sure to share this review with them. Sorry the music was loud, we are always trying to find the right balance. Please come back to Andaz soon, Matt

Reviewed 12 November 2013

As others mentioned, this is a great location, you can walk everywhere. The staff is helpful and polite. The room is nicely decorated and with snacks, drinks and nice magazines offered it is a nice perk. The fire pit and outdoor pool area is very nice as well. The only negative I have with the hotel was how well I could hear my neighbors through the walls. Fortunately, this was just the first night as the second night they had checked out on either side of me. Was not expecting such thin walls at such a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without guests on either side of you if possible.
1  Thank Julie S

Julie S, thank you for your visit and thank you for reviewing the hotel. My apologies for your noisy neighbors and the insufficient noise insulation. Before you return to Andaz Savannah please contact me so I can personally see to your room assignment. All the best, Matt

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went to Savannah for the Haunted Pub Crawl on Halloween.The Andaz is centrally located in historic Savannah. All the places we wanted to visit were within walking distance. We were greeted with a complimentary glass of wine and all non-alcoholic beverages in the room were complimentary as well as some of the snacks.The rooms are small even with a King bed, but what you would expect of a hotel in the city. Dan in concierge made our trip recommending some great places to experience the local culture.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Liz N, thank you for your visit and thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and glad you met Dan, he is a great guy. Please come back to Andaz soon! Matt