“There was a man in the bed, need I say more?”
Review of Andaz Savannah

Andaz Savannah
Ranked #12 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I called the Andaz on my way from Amelia Island to Athens. I was road weary and needed a place to lay my head. It was after midnight, and I am a female, traveling alone.

Even though it was after midnight, the desk clerk charged me a $270 rate. Sheesh. I should have passed then, but I was exhausted. She handed me the keys to my fifth floor room, all the way at the end of the hall.

I entered the room, which was pitch black, and pulled my luggage in behind me. The door slammed. I fumbled around for the light switch, but when I my eyes adjusted, I saw a man in the bed and his eyeglasses on the table adjacent to the door. I totally freaked and fumbled again to get the door open. Finally got out the door and schlepped my frightened rear-end to the front desk again, where I was offered a half-hearted apology, a new room and "free breakfast."

Fast forward three weeks later, I get my AMEX bill. Guess what? My breakfast charge had been billed to the card. Yep. Insult to injury.

I've been staying at Andaz regularly for business since it was the Savannah Avia. I used to love staying here. The amenities are great, and the beds are very comfortable. But with the way this was all handled, I will not choose Andaz again and will not suggest it to clients. The front desk person was rude and virtually unapologetic. I was scared out of my wits to have this happen, and god knows how unsafe that could have been. I am already nervous entering dark hotel rooms by myself, and I've had an even harder time since this incident. Who knows how the guy in bed felt!

One would have thought the manager or someone would have called to check in on me the next day, but nothing. Nada. No apology, no "here's 10% off your stay for next time," nothing. I will not be back.

Room Tip: Don't get one with a person in the bed. Ha!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
16  Thank MrsSarahKJ
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

MrsSarahKJ, I am really sorry you experienced such a scary moment due to a mistake of ours. I know Pat has been in touch with you and hope we are able to make it right. Again, my apologies, Matt

There are newer reviews for Andaz Savannah

Reviewed 25 June 2014

First time to savannah....selected andaz because (1) I am a fan of Hyatt and (2) figured the location was pretty good based on reviews. This place totally exceeded expectations. Stayed 2 nights, upgraded to Ellis Suite which was a beautiful spacious corner room overlooking Ellis square. Two blocks in other direction takes you to riverfront. Location was awesome. Staff was friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. Arrived a few hours early but was able to check in. Offered a glass of wine upon arrival, staff quickly unloaded car, took luggage to room and valeted my car. I did not need to access my car the entire time and felt comfortable knowing it was in a secured parking garage. Breakfast was delicious, lots of options. Friendly staff. Pool area was nice....only beef is that there was no service available.....drinks, food, etc. When I asked I was told bar is opened Thursday through Sunday only. Based on the number of people lounging on a Tuesday afternoon, hotel may want to invest in staffing the bar. That was only disappoint. I would recommend andaz to anyone traveling to savannah. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Carolyn C

Carolyn C, I am so glad we exceeded your expectations! Thansk for the tip on opening the pool bar on Tuesdays, we will take a look at the use. Please come back soon, Matt

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very nice property in the most convenient location to everything in downtown Savannah. The room was a tad bit small, but we didn't care. Bed was super comfortable. Even though you are in the middle of downtown, we heard no noise. Service was great! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashley R

Ashley R, Happy Anniversary! Thank you for spending it at Andaz! Let me know if you spend another with us and I will upgrade your from that small-ish room at no charge. Matt

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Truly enjoyable! Upon arrival the staff greets you with a warm hello and welcome to the Andaz! We loved the modern look of the lobby, bar, and restaurant (good food,and Marvelous country ham). The staff is A plus, very knowledgeable of the city, and aim to please to the 10th degree!

The Suite was very spacious(allowing room to park my scooter)and still having space to maneuver easily. Great balcony view of the park and the city scene. The Victorian style tub provided wonderful soaking time.

We will return to The Andaz on our next visit.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shep1jeff

shep1jeff, thank you for staying at the Andaz! I am glad you enjoyed, please come back again soon, Matt

Reviewed 22 June 2014

hotel was fully booked but Hyatt reservations were able to find a lovely double queen accessible room for my trendy teenage daughter (who has a wheelchair) and me on short notice. Quieter rooms away from Ellis Square. The entire staff - from the valets who were careful with our accessible van - to Melinda as concierge/bellwoman - to bartenders - were gracious and resourceful. Obviously the location is superb, but the hotel presents itself as a cool friend who invites you inside to play! Wanted badly to dine at Square 22, but on limited time, was able to have a foodie talk instead with Executive Chef Lauren. love the communal table concept!
We'll stay here next time, and the next...

Room Tip: Big bathrooms, accessibles had tubs with handhelds
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PJ P

PJ P, so glad you and your hip daughter enjoyed the Andaz. We do away with a lot of the formalities of the hotel so it can feel more like visiting a friend with a cool apartment, glad you caught that vibe. Come back soon and please leave time for diner at 22 Square, Matt

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We booked at the Andaz based on friends' recommendation that it was the best hotel choice in Savannah. We found no reason to disagree. From the moment we booked in the staff was nothing but friendly, competant and ready to respond to any requests we made. If one is not going to be overlooking the river in one of the several waterfront hotels, then the Andaz' location is probably one of the best one can find in the historic district. Two blocks away from the waterfront, one from a lively bar scene and two away from the main shopping street. Ellis Square is distinct from all the others, having been restored after a half century of use as a parking garage. Completely open with a water fountain and tourist information office so there is the possibility of more crowd noise at night than there would be on a more traditional square. However we spent four nights in a room overlooking the square and were not bothered once. The room was comfortable, possibly a it smaller than some but the bathroom was certainly a good size. Free snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in the room was a very welcome feature we have not come across in any other hotel in its price range. There is a smallish pool on a second floor terrace along with a firepit which would be very welcome on cool nights - not that there were any at the end of May. The only downside was that the elevators did not seem up to handling the amount of traffic. We frequently walked down from the fifth floor rather than waiting. I noticed that someone complained in February about a $21 price for a buffet breakfast. It seems they have listened as it was down to $16, still a bit steep for my liking, and the choice is pretty good if not outstanding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ralph B
Matt G, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Ralph B, thank you for staying with us and thank you for the review. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and its location. I am sorry the elevators were running slow while you were here.

For breakfast we offer an ala carte menu or two buffet options. First, we offer the farmers table including baked goods, cereals, yogurts, vegetable salads, fresh fruit and a charcuterie selection of sliced meats and cheese. It is $15. For an additional $5 you can enjoy the farmers table and add the hot options, which include a daily special, an omelet station and bacon, sausage and potatoes, all cooked to order.

Please come back soon, Matt

Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel has the perfect location. There were plenty activities in walking distance. The staff was attentive and friendly. My only complaint is that I wish I didn't pay extra for the breakfast/romance package. The hotel's food was pretty terrible and overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Adrienne N, Happy Anniversary! I am so happy you chose to spend the day with us. My apologies that the food wasn't what you were looking for, if you contact me at the hotel I will remove the additional charge for those items from your account. Please come back soon, Matt