“Location, location, location...”

Ranked #12 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
westlake, ohio
“Location, location, location...”
Reviewed 28 June 2009

A little pricey, but a great location if visiting downtown Savannah. I stayed in a 6th floor Hospitality suite while my daughter attended a week long program at SCAD. This suite had a king bed and bathroom in one side, with a mini fridge, cooktop and microwave and small louging area in the other portion of the room, so it was perfect for my needs.

Bathroom was clean, sleek and modern with both a shower stall and a small tub with hand held shower unit. Shower stall felt cramped for a single medium sized adult like me. Water pressure was too low for a good shower.

The Hotel is very clean and modern. Halways are dim, but quiet. Construction continued across the street at Ellis Square but was no distraction or inconvenience during my stay. When the park is completed this will likely be the best location to stay downtown, it's literally just a few blocks from everything you may want to visit.

My room faced Bay Street, overlooking the pool deck and adjacent condominiums above the new Five Guys Hamburger joint. I could see a partial view of the river over the adjacent building. There was a tiny balcony with no seating, which I never used due to the heat and noise.

Hotel Amenities are limited. Hotel has no sundries shop (CVS is several blocks away but closes at 6 p.m.). The hotel does have a short bar and a limited menu restaurant adjacent to the lobby. I never used the restaurant as so many other dining options were available nearby. The Hotel's $12 breakfast service was also a little too pricey for me, especially with a Starbucks, Panera and other cafes just a short walk away. The bar had very limited beer selection so I passed on it as well--no canadian brands and only a few odd labels and domestic miller label products.

Valet parking was $20 day...ouch. The valet staff was quick and very helpful throughout the week and I still tipped them. I probably will just pay the $20 per day if I stay here again. It's a nice hotel, but Savannah isn't Chicago or New York...parking should be included and tips should make up the difference for the valet staff.

All the hotel staff were very friendly (with the exception of one breakfast person that gave me the hard sell on the hotel restaurant coffee and buffet when she saw me sporting a big cup of Starbucks one morning). Sweet tea and lemonade are available for free in the lobby after 4 p.m.

The pool is small and refreshing, definitely more for adults than kids. A few more lounge chaises would be nice, but the seating they had was very comfortable. Given the 90+ degree mid-day heat, the pool wasn't very busy during my stay.

My only complaint is that the alley adjacent to the pool is vert noisy due to repeated delivery trucks with "thermal king" refrigeration units parking and unloading throughout the morning and afternoon--the trucks' refrigeration units seem to be just below the level of the pool deck and are extremely noisy and drown out the music playing at the pool. I thought there was some major construction in the buildings next door but it turned out to be the stupid trucks. I couldn't honestly find a peaceful place to relax and read a book, so I usually ended up walking around downtown.

No spa services or other activities are available, so this is pretty much a place to sleep and keep your luggage while you check out Historic Savannah and the nearby bars and restaurants. The Westin across the river offers golf and spa, so I may try that if I ever have another extended stay in Savannah.

All in all this is a very clean, upscale, chic hotel in a perfect location. It's definitely not a "Southern style" hotel you can relax and hang out in for an extended stay, but for a weekend trip to enjoy the nightlife of Savannah it's probably ideal. The price is definitely on the high side and the amenities are very limited, but everything is new and clean and it should appeal to those desiring a modern city feel while visiting a very old and historic southern town.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
CONCORD
Reviewed 26 June 2009

We read many reviews on historic district hotels. We were very happy with our choice of Avia. It is in a wonderful location, within walking distance to many restaurants, attractions, and squares. The front desk, housekeeping, valet and bellman were very helpful and friendly. We were called by name several times as we came in/out of hotel. The valet service was quick and efficient.
The room was laid out nicely. We felt like we were at home most of our four night stay. The bed was the most comfortable we had encountered at a hotel. We were impressed with the quality of the linens. We had a sofa and chair w/ottoman so it was easy to read and watch t.v. My husband enjoyed the large flat screen tv. The decor is modern but also comfy. All the areas were very clean.
Of course, no hotel is perfect. The fire alarm went off twice one afternoon while we were attempting to take a nap. One of the two elevators didn't work our entire stay. This was only a problem on Sunday during checkout hours. There isn't a towel rack or hook behind the bathroom door. Our biggest complaint was no refrigerator in room. There is a mini bar, but we would have liked a space to bring leftovers from the wonderful Savannah restaurants. We were not told about the daily valet charge of $20.00. We looked on the website and didn't see it listed there either. I didn't mind the charge I just like to be informed. Even with these inconveniences we certainly enjoyed our stay and would stay again in an instant. We have already recommended the hotel to friends. Our favorite restaurants near the hotel were Huey's, Sapphire Grill, Express Cafe and Bakery. These restaurants as well as City Market, Lady and Sons, and Ruth Chris are only a few steps from hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachcomber87
Connecticut
Reviewed 23 June 2009

I stayed in a standard king room, yes it was a little tight but I don’t really need much room when I travel alone. The hotel itself if defiantly the best in the area by far. Upscale and trendy with EXCELLENT service. The location is ideal, about 2 blocks from everything. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept on. They also have a turn down service (bottled water left on nightstand with robe on bed with a chocolate) that many hotels just don’t do anymore. It was little things that the hotel did that really made my stay comfortable. It has the personal touch of a boutique hotel. I will absolutely stay there again when in Savannah.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed 22 June 2009

Just spent a weekend at the the terrific AVIA Hotel in Savannah. It is a very cool and trendy hotel with the most comfortable beds my wife and I have enjoyed in quite a while. In a great location near many interesting shops, sites and restaurants, the service and "Cannot do enough for you" attitude of the entire staff was great. Do not miss the fresh mojitos in the lobby Bar which really hit the spot after a Hot and Humid walk taking in the many interesting sites and sounds of Savannah. I will definitely be back to this very neat and happening hotel.

1 Thank mart59
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I picked this hotel for a quick stopover in Savannah on our way to Hilton Head. It's location is awesome. It's like 2 blocks to City Market, Paula Deen's restaurant, and the riverfront. There's plenty to see and do within an easy walking distance - lots of restaurants and shops to choose from. The pool area is gorgeous, lots of seating, with a few nice cabanas sprinkled here and there. The room was nice, but it was small. Definitely one of the smallest I've been in recently. My husband brought out the ironing board, and with both our bags laying out also (because the closet was really tiny), there was barely room to walk around in there. The only parking is valet (unless you luck out on a street spot). But I would go back - to an upgraded room. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, so was the valet guy.

1 Thank MsWms
colorado springs, colorad
Reviewed 12 June 2009

This hotel has been everything we had hoped for and more. The concierge that set up a carriage ride took special care to make certain everything was perfect. The bartenders remembered us and our favorite beverages. The front desk asked where we were going that day and remembered when we came back to ask how things went. I wish the renovation to Ellis Square was complete but the noise was not an issue for us. The pool area is good, but I would have liked more lounge chairs and more shade areas. Overall this is an excellent property.

1 Thank doglover3365
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

This new addition to Savannah was a pleasant surprise. Located on the soon to be restored Ellis Square and across the street from Lady and Sons, it is close to River Street and most anything in the Historic District you would want to see. The rooms are "modern meets baroque" and comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and also had a fabulous breakfast in the hotel. Service was great and we would definately stay there again. Reminds me of a W Hotel but more affordable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family