“We felt like celebrities !”
Review of Andaz Savannah

Andaz Savannah
Ranked #13 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Oceanside, California
“We felt like celebrities !”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

Our first impression- we found the valet parking to be tricky as the area you park in is marked "no parking" and there was no one outside. But we parked there anyway and went inside for assistance. They were quick to help us and after that, our experience was perfect. As my husband said "I feel like a celebrity". We were treated very graciously by everyone.
The hotel is in a perfect location. Walking distance to everything. The river, and the historic district.
It is also very security conscious and you must use your hotel key to operate the elevator.
Our view was perfect and the room was more than we imagined it would be. It had french doors to the balcony that overlooked Ellis Square. The furniture is very unique and "un-hotely". It also has a large soaking tub. There is a coffee maker in the room and lots of storage in that area.
The in room safe is large enough for a laptop.
The only unsatisfactory thing about our stay was the housekeeping service. Don't get me wrong, the room was spotless, but we went out all day (and it was HOT) in order to give them time to clean the room. When we left, the housekeeping cart was 2 doors away from our room. When we got back 6 hours later, the room STIll had not been cleaned. We gave up and just asked for clean towels and did not have the room cleaned. By then we were too tired to go out again.
We had the breakfast buffet (delicious homemade waffles) but I could nt bring myself to order shrimp and grits for breakfast, and now I am sorry I did not at least try them because they have received rave reviews on this site.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
AVIASavannahGM, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
I read your review and are tickled you felt like celebrities while staying at AVIA. Thank you for the nice comments regarding the hotel décor, location and staff. I do apologize for the confusion with the valet parking and will look at ways to ease the arrival for our future guests. I also apologize for your room not being serviced by housekeeping. I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper to make sure all rooms are cleaned in a timely manner. We do hope you will stay with us again and try the shrimp and grits at breakfast.
In hospitality, Pedro Perez, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
florida
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The AVIA is a really beautiful hotel right in the middle of the best part of Savannah. We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was "genuinely" friendly...went out of their way from the start to the finish of our visit. Not a lot of southern drawl out of the front desk which was kind of funny...afterall, you are in a southern city and not one person was local (we asked). The room was great...the beds are some of the best I have experienced ever. We were very happy with the cleanliness of the linens. The bathrooms without a shower door look nice but, are just annoying....water goes everywhere. Our bathroom tile had mold in the crevices...probably because there is limited light on the property. The pool was absolutely great. My biggest complaint was that after I shut the lights off to sleep the amber light on the clock drove me crazy way TOO BRIGHT. I turned over to see a green light flickering on and off from the ceiling? Which also was annoying. My kids complained a little about the noise from Ruth Chris' and the weird, constant flash bulbs going off. The positives however, way outweighed the oddities.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank stpetegirl
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so glad you chose to stay at AVIA too! Thank you for recognizing the staff as they enjoy making every guest's experience positive and memorable. I read your concerns regarding the shower and I have spoken to our Executive Housekeeper. She will take the necessary steps to ensure all of the bathrooms are cleaned properly. We appreciate your positive comments and suggestions as they will help us become better in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My wife and I stayed in Savannah to celebrate Independence Day and this hotel was our favorite part of the trip. The hotel staff worked hard to make our stay as pleasurable as possible. We stayed in a regular king bed room which was an average size without much of a view, but the quality of the furnishings was top notch. The room was impeccably clean and even smelled wonderfully. The worst part about our stay was probably the valet parking. The valets were very helpful and polite, but it was sort of difficult to get in and out of the car in the street. But since everything was in walking distance, there wasn't much need for the car. Oh yeah, even if you don't stay at the hotel, you have to stop by for breakfast for the shrimp and grits. It's the best!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Extremely impressed with hotel, and favorite part of your trip are very nice compliments. We thank you for posting your comments and are glad that you found AVIA to be convenient and comfortable. I did read your comment and concern regarding the valet parking. Your concerns are very important to us and will allow us to review our services and help us become better. We look forward to having you back to AVIA.
gainesville, ga
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed at this hotel in Oct. 2009 and it was just super. When we came back in Apr. 2010 it had really taken a beaten. We tried to get the management to fix the problems but they seemed to busy. The guy that came to our room was a little helpful but did not fix any of the major problems. I did not think that this hotel could have gotten in such bad shape in a very short period of time (6mos) This is an outstanding hotel and I hope they can get these problems under control.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to thank you for staying with us again and being a loyal guest. We have addressed these issues in this room and we have increased our maintenance program in every room to ensure we maintain our hotel in great condition. Your comments and suggestions are very important to us and will help us become better. I really appreciate your concerns and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I travelled to Savannah on business and arrived on a Monday afternoon. We were greeted as we arrived and had no trouble with check-in. The lobby/bar area is nice. The room, although small, was perfectly fine. The ammenities were good and the bed was comfortable. I had no issues with noise and I was on the third floor. Breakfast was good, but not amazing. The location is fantastic and the pool and gym are quite nice. I only have two complaints, but they are rather big. First, we decided to take a ghost tour so I called the concierge for a suggestion. She pointed us to the Hauntings Tour. It was HORRIBLE. I don't know if the guide that night was a substitute, but the quality was very poor. Thus, my faith in the concierge was greatly damaged. Secondly, I had to be up early on Wednesday to drive to a meeting. I set up a wake-up call with the front desk, as I had the day before. One hour past the time for my wake-up call, my colleague texted me to see where I was. There had been no call. Thus, we were late for the meeting. If you stay here, use the alarm clock!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
AVIASavannahGM, General Manager at Andaz Savannah, responded to this review, 6 July 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at AVIA. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we get. I do apologize for you not receiving your wake-up call and I hope you addressed it with the front desk. I am also disappointed to hear the ghost tour the concierge recommended was not as you expected. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues and improve. I am happy to know you enjoyed the amenities and location of the hotel. Again, thank you for the comments because we are always looking for ways to improve our service.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I took my teenage daughter and her friend to Savannah for 3 days and 2 nights at the end of June. What a wonderful experience we had at the Avia! When we arrived, a valet immediately took care of our car and a bellman got our luggage. They were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The lobby is small but lovely. The employees at the front desk were busy with other guests when we arrived, but the concierge came right over to check us in so that we didn't have to wait at all. Check-in was quick and easy and the concierge gave us a map and some quick tips of things we'd want to see.

We arrived in our lovely king suite only to find that it did not have a sleeper sofa as I had requested. I called the front desk and they immediately got to work getting us set up in the correct room. In the meantime a very nice bellman, Lester, arrived with our luggage. He spoke with the front desk and they got everything worked out. In about 10-15 minutes, Lester came back with new keys and moved us to our new room. It was very nice with a view of the pool area.

The room was incredibly clean with nice linens, soft (!!) towels, robes and nice bath products. We had a little kitchen area with a stove even, but we didn't really use it much. They did have plates and flatware which came in handy one night when we got takeout. The king bed was incredibly comfortable. The pull-out sofa wasn't so great, but, hey, they're teens, they can sleep anywhere!

One of our favorite things about the Avia was the pool area. It was about 100 degrees the days we were in Savannah, so we thought it was too hot to go to the pool during the day. On the second day we needed to leave the room so that the maid could clean and we reluctantly put on our swimsuits and headed to the pool. What a nice surprise to find water misters going full blast and cooling the entire pool area! It was incredible! We ended up hanging out for a couple of hours because it was such a relief from the heat.

The concierge proved to be helpful a second time when the teens decided they would like to go on a ghost tour. She got us set up on one that night, no problem. We went on the "Hearse Ghost Tour" which was kind of weird, but pretty fun. The concierge was very nice and knowledgeable.

The location of the Avia is really great: close to shopping, historic sites, the river....everything! We walked to everything we wanted to see. There are just two things that would have improved our stay: in-room movies and the hotel's participation in the Tablet-plus program. Although this is a Tablet hotel, they do not offer any member benefits and that was disappointing. Otherwise, everything else was FANTASTIC!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Wow! What a wonderful review of AVIA Savannah! Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I'm very pleased to read that our staff exceeded your expectations from the minute you arrived at the hotel. It is great to know you enjoyed the pool area, the amenities in the room, and the location of the hotel was close to all you wanted to experience in Savannah. It is great your stay was fantastic and we hope to see you again!
Suwanee
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the AVIA for our 10th anniversary. We had the most relaxing time away from our busy lives. The staff was wonderful. There is no comparison to the service we received. The hotel sits in the middle of all the action. It is the perfect walking distance to River St. My husband and I only used our car to travel to areas outside the historic district and the surrounding sights (Hilton Head & Tybee Island). We have already recommended this hotel to friends that are planning a trip to Savannah. We would definitely stay at this hotel again and any of its partners. I am so excited to have a wonderful alternative to the chain hotels. If you ever take my advice and stay at AVIA, don't leave without trying the Shrimp and Grits in the restaurant. You won't be disappointed. They are off the chain.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I am thrilled to hear you and your husband had the most relaxing time at AVIA for your 10th anniversary. It is also great to know you were able to experience the sites within walking distance of the hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and the shrimp and grits at breakfast! We can't wait to see you again in Savannah or at one of our other locations.