“Jane and Rocky were VERY nice, but..................”
Review of Amethyst Garden

Amethyst Garden
Ranked #15 of 30 Savannah B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2007

OK, I have debated writting this review, and since we stayed at this inn three months ago, I thought it was too late. After reading the last review, which echoes our stay exactly I realized we needed to give other people a heads up about this inn.

First off, Rocky and Jane are very nice, eclectic people. They seem to really enjoy mingling with their guests and sharing the Savannah lifestye with them. They have owned this inn for 10 years and are currently thinking about selling it (if they haven't already).

We reserved the "Hydrangea Suite," which is one of two basement /ground level suites in the inn. We arrived late at night, and the owners were kind enough to leave our room key at the front door, so we let ourselves in. We noticed that the room was dusty, but did not realize how bad it was until the next morning. It was warm outside, but the air conditioning had been turned down to at least 50 degrees. There was no thermostat in the room for us to warm up the room, and no extra blankets. It was a horrible, freezing night. The next day, Rocky informed us that the other suite on our floor had control of the thermostat in their room, and he asked them to turn it up.

In the morning we went upstairs for breakfast and waited about an hour for breakfast in the dining room, before one of the other guests called Jane, and it was realized that the college student that they hire forgot to show up and heat up the breakfast. Jane quickly came and made the planned breakfast of egg casserole, canned cinammon rolls and canned fruit. The second morning we were there we had frozen Ego waffles and more canned fruit. The third morning, I think Jane felt bad so she went all out and made a giant eclair for breakfast. Strange thing to eat for breakfast, but it was tastier than the frozen waffles!

Our kids went for a swim in the pool that afternoon and didn't want to swim again because the pool was full of hair. It was literally floating on the top of the water. That evening the inn was almost empty, so we looked around and checked out the other rooms. Overall, the whole inn is really dusty and just a little bit rundown, but it seems that the main floor and the top floor are where they pay the most attention. The two basement suites are a mess, especially the Hydrangea Suite. Our room was filthy, musty, and smelled like old smoke from the fireplace. The bathoom had chipped paint, and a rusty tub. The kitchen floor in our suite had sticky floors, the owners food in the refrigerator (including a few large frozen turkeys), and a handwritten sign telling guests to clean up their room kitchen themselves. Around the fireplace, the carpet was literally burned away about a foot around. The room seemed to be decorated from garage sale finds, with lots of silk flowers and everything was covered in dust. The sheets on the extra bed had not been washed and had something white (ugh) on them.

Now for those Palmetto Roaches. They were everywhere in our room. These are not ordinary roaches, they are about two inches long, without exaggeration. They were everywhere. We had to try to stick rolled up paper in the windows and doorframe to try to keep them out, to no avail. I know that the Savannah climate can be a draw for these huge roaches, but if I owned an inn I would have a frequent exterminator come in. Again, they have another college student come in to clean the rooms, and she is really taking advantage of them!

OK, again I want to say that these are really good people, but they just don't seem to know what they are doing. We have stayed at many, many bed and breakfasts and inns around the country and this one was one of the worst. The owners are friendly and fun, but at the end of the day it is up to them to make sure the rooms are clean and that the food is consistently good. This is not an inexpensive inn, and guests should get what they have paid for. We always choose a bed and breakfast over a chain hotel, but after staying here we couldn't wait to find a plain hotel, with a clean room and a normal breakfast!

Stayed: July 2007
9  Thank hfadventurers

Reviewed 29 October 2007

Jane and Rocky are very hospitable and wonderful people; however, the first room my new husband and I were taken to had a palmetto bug in it (read: variety of cockroach) that "flew in from the trees." The second room had a pair of pliers in it near the window air conditioner, broken slates in the doors to the closet and tape holding up the wallpaper in the bathroom. Although we felt bad having to check out early, I saw another bug and couldn't stay there comfortably. The place needs updating and a thorough bath (there were dust mites all over the fake flowers in the hallway). However, I must say that Jane and Rocky were very understanding and only charged us the one night for the room. I am just a freak about bugs, but apparently, they are all over Savannah. (Regardless of that statement, I didn't see them at anywhere else we stayed)

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank acyen
Reviewed 27 October 2007

My husband and I had originally booked a room at a LaQuinta since we have a large, but excellent, dog. At the last minute, we wanted to stay closer to the historic district and were referred to Amythst Inn. This is a lovely inn and the hosts, Rocky and Jane, were great. Since we had a dog, we had the lower level room and it was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 24 October 2007

Well all, this is our second trip to the Amethyst Inn. My husband Rich and I loved Savannah and especially the Amethyst Inn so much in April that we had to come for our wedding anniversary last week. We were very excited to see our inn keepers Rocky and Jane again, it felt like we came home. Truely they are so accomodating and inviting and the B&B is beautiful, that you feel like you're home. Rocky and Jane are very informative on everything Savannah.
Every morning you wake up to a delicious and variety filled breakfast and at 4:00p it's cocktail time complete with snacks, where the fun and conversation with other guests is found.
We now have extended family in a place we also call home and we're looking forward to our next trip back there.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SavannahSoul
Reviewed 20 October 2007

October 20 2007.
We stayed at the Amethyst Inn for 4 days earlier this month. We found it a great place to stay. The room we had was comfortable and quiet. The staff were very friendly and accomodating. The hot breakfasts were very good.
It is in a good location for touring the city. A free shuttle bus goes right by the door, or you are in walking distance of the historic downtown.
Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank bobiej
Reviewed 9 October 2007

It's a great inn with a refreshing and layed back atmosphere. You feel like you are saying with family. I was able to see all of the rooms during my stay. Each one is unique! Jane and Rocky are great at making you feel at home. the help that they hired are helpful too. I give this inn a five not because of the over all appearance of the house but because of the service. I stayed at nicer looking establishments that have had half the warmth.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank atl060661
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Nice place to stay, very clean and friendly. The room temps, food and shortbread was great. The staff was very helpful in planning the day and sharing your experiences with you. Gave great referrals for taxis. restraunts and experiences. Word of advice
if you have hard time climbing stairs, this may not be a good pick
stairs inside and outside are very steep.Chemise, jane, and lindsey were awesome

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends