“Do NOT stay here”

Ranked #8 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Hickory, North Carolina
“Do NOT stay here”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Check in on the 14th was okay, bell man on duty that day was wonderful. Parking stinks, very few spots, esp for handicapped. We had to park in a spot that you must pay the hotel for. It was fairly far for 2 handicapped people. I did notice though that a very nice porche was parked in the loading only zone all weekend & an employee was parked in what should have been handicapped. The rooms look nice at first glace but all the windows are painted ( sloppy ) shut. In raising the shade, it is apparent the windows, even on the inside, have NOT been cleaned in YEARS. At checkout we called for a bellman to assist us up the stairs with our luggage. We waited & waited, propped the door & carried it our self. The second we were done, a bellman appeared saying he had been sent to rm 202. We were in 203 with the door propped. I can assure you he never went to 202. He just didn't bother to come. Upon making the complaint to the girl on duty, she was snotty, saying " Oh well, I sent him to the wrong room." It didn't matter we told her & the bellman our door was propped open & there was no way he came anywhere near our room. It's called LAZINESS. Disappointed you can't see the river anymore since a Joes Crab Shack has been built right across the street. I will not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms as they are all noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
oldeinnkeeper, General Manager at Olde Harbour Inn - River Street Suites, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
As the Innkeeper at Olde Harbour Inn, I am sorry to hear that your stay was so disappointing. Thank you for acknowledging the bellman on duty when you checked in. We do take pride in our employees, and I appreciate you bringing to my attention the bellman who did not assist you promptly with your luggage at check-out, and the guest service representative who did not show concern about it. I have spoken with our Staff about your review here, and I can assure you that our team is dedicated to providing more attentive service.

Parking is indeed a challenge in Savannah, and it’s especially so near River Street. I know this was especially challenging for two guests with accessibility needs, and the situation was clearly compounded by not having assistance, as promised, from our Staff.

As you know, Olde Harbour Inn was built on Savannah’s cobblestoned River Street as a warehouse in the 1800s. While it is excellent place to stay to be a part of the River Street activities, it is admittedly not the easiest hotel to navigate if you have special needs, and it can be noisy at times since the hotel is directly on River Street.

I do truly apologize that your stay with us was not what you had expected. Your note is serving as a reminder to me to review our website to make sure we present our parking and location situation clearly for our guests so future guests will not be disappointed.

Please contact me the next time you plan to visit Savannah. While I’d love to have you stay with us again at Olde Harbour Inn, I understand if you’d like to try other accommodations that might better suit your needs. I highly recommend East Bay Inn, our sister property located across the street. It has a parking lot with handicapped spaces, an elevator, and is on Bay Street, slightly away from the boisterousness of River Street. Feel free to contact me directly if you’d like assistance with your reservations there for your next visit here. We sincerely want you to enjoy your next stay in Savannah!

Best regards,

Susan Powers, Innkeeper
Olde Harbour Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Penn Yan, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Wonderful place to stay in Savannah. You feel part of the historic district. The rooms are spacious, clean and the beds are soooo comfortable. They offer a wonderful breakfast and an evening Wine and Cheese event. A great time to meet the other guests. The staff are very friendly and willing to help in any way. My husband really liked the fact he could watch the hugh tankers on the river from our window. Easy to walk to shopping, dining or many historic places. And don't forget the ice cream bar waiting for you in your freezer at the end of your day!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting The Olde Harbour Inn for several years now, but have to say that this time (Valentines Weekend), I was very disappointed. The staff were wonderful as they always are, however the building of Joe's Crab Shack behind the hotel on River Street has stolen the view of the Savannah River from the hotel guests. Joe's Crab shack also draws a large, loud evening crowd, which then draws a crowd of folks cruising their cars down River Street with stereos thumpin full blast. When I come to Savannah, I want to rest & relax, enjoy the quiet that once was, and the river view. Looks like on my trip back in 2 weeks, my party of 8 will need to stay across the river at the Westin for some peace & quiet.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vickie M
Thanks so very much for being a repeat guest at Olde Harbour Inn, and I do appreciate you acknowledging our wonderful staff. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us on your last visit. As you noted, we do have a new neighboring restaurant that does obscure the view of the River, and while that’s not ideal for our guests who enjoyed the view, we are taking steps to make sure Olde Harbour Inn stays a favorite. We recently renovated all of the public areas in the building, and have just begun renovating the guest rooms. I sincerely hope you’ll give us another opportunity to be your host hotel in Savannah again. Please feel free to contact us directly when you make your next plans to visit.

Susan Powers, Innkeeper
Olde Harbour Inn
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Wow. What a great hotel. We stumbled across this hotel while looking for a place to stay to break up a long car trip. We selected this hotel for its location in the historic area, low online price, 2-bedrooms and breakfast. We were very pleased upon arrival that it delivers what it promises. The staff is incredibly gracious and helpful. It's a little tricky to fix with GPS but we found it (the main entrance and sign are not on the river, they are on the opposite side of the building in front of Emmet Park). The room is a 2-story loft that is enormous. The kids ran up and down the hall several times saying "mom, look! Mom, look!" My husband and I put the kids in the downstairs master (which has a door) and stayed in the loft because it's open the the floor below and our kids are just 2 and 4. We were all very comfortable and slept like logs. The loft has skylights so we slept under the stars. The kids lost their minds with excitement when we saw a huge barge sail by through the window. We took advantage of the free wine and cheese, and they had snacks and drinks for the kids. The kids enjoyed spreading out their toys and playing Legos on the big table in the living room. Restaurants and shops are within steps of the front door. We loved having a separate space for adults, since we usually stay in one room with 2 double beds. We will wholeheartedly stay here again, because it offers privacy and location at an excellent price.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Ashley D
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

A very unique place to stay. We were in a one bedroom King Suite. It was very spacious. When you walk into the room, there is a living room area that is comfortably furnished and the entire suite had old hardwood floors that creak when you walk across them and exposed brick on the walls. Further down the hall, a kitchen with a full sized refrigerator and a microwave. The bedroom looks out over the river area. Unfortunately, it overlooks a very busy bar and grill on the river front. Fortunately for us, on the night we were there, we heard very little of the guests pouring out of this bar. In fact, I heard my neighboring hotel guests arguing better than the outdoor traffic. In fact, I could hear EVERY word he spoke. If I were to stay in this hotel again, I might request to be on a higher floor to ensure a good night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We just returned from our Trip to Beautiful Savannah Ga.. First time staying at the Olde Harbour Inn.. WOW what rooms. They are all suites and they are hugh!! It was hubby's 50th birthday and when we got into the room after check in there was a bottle of Champagne from the staff!! Very nice. Staff was excellent,, great expanded continental breakfast it definaley will get you up and going for the day.. Yes it was cold (40) most of the time and even colder at night... But we love Savannah and do several trips a year...
This hotel is in a fantastic location to enjoy Savannah! we have stayed all over Savannah and this is one of the fav locations. The rooms are kept immaculate and lets not forget the ice cream with the turn down service

Olde Harbour Inn and Staff thank you so much!!! We are definatly coming back to see you

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I would highly recommend this Inn!! Our first time to Savannah and picked this place because of location and price. We were not disappointed at all! The staff is so nice and accomodating. Will definitely stay here again if we ever go to Savannah again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple