“Pumpkin house with a bloody courtyard”
Review of Sorrel Weed House

US$19.98*
Haunted History of the Squares of Savannah
Ranked #36 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sorrel- Weed House operates Historic Savannah Tours and Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah. Our purpose is to educate the public on the rich neoclassical Greek Revival architecture of the Sorrel- Weed House and the the famous architect Charles Cluskey who designed it, along with and the cultural history of antebellum Savannah Georgia. A focus is also maintained on Civil War Savannah, and the role of Brigadier General Moxley Sorrel CSA. Moxley served under General James Longstreet and wrote "Recollections of a Confederate Staff Officer". We also operate Haunted Ghost Tours in Savannah, as The Sorrel- Weed House was featured on Ghost Hunters with Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson in 2005, HGTV "If These Walls Could Talk" in 2006, the Travel Channel in 2010, (the Most Terrifying Places in America) and Ghost Adventures with Zak Bagans, Nick Groff and Aaron Goodwin in 2014. In January 1940 - The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks opened the Sorrel- Weed House to the public. The name of their exhibit was "The Society for the Preservation of Savannah Landmarks Presents a Loan Exhibit of furniture and fine Arts 18th and 19th Centuries at the Sorrel-Weed House on Madison Square. Jan-April 1940" They were founded in 1939 and eventually became the Historic Savannah Foundation. 1954, The Sorrel-Weed House was designated a Georgia State Landmark. It was one of the first houses in Georgia to receive this honor. 2005- The Sorrel Weed House opened to the public for Historic House Tours and Haunted Savannah Ghost Tours. 2010. The Sorrel Weed House was designated a Museum in the State of Georgia.
Daytona Beach, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Pumpkin house with a bloody courtyard”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Plodding through a steady rain, I found the Sorrel-Weed House again after riding by it on a sightseeing trolley. The guide gave an adequate but somewhat rote delivery of the house's history. A person with a flair for theater or art history could have made it much more dramatic and riveting. After all, a white master has an affair with his slave and drives his wife to suicide by a leap into a courtyard. Then the mistress is beaten and killed. All in all, pretty heavy stuff. The stroll through the slave kitchen in the basement was OK, but the paranormal activity was only lightly touched upon. Overall, despite material that lent itself to vivid storytelling, the tour was much less interesting than the lecture provided at the Owens-Thomas House. It's probably best to read up on the Sorrel-Weed House ahead of time, and guide yourself around the property.

Charlottesville, Virginia
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“DO NOT take this tour!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

There is no true paranormal aspect to this tour. You get very little history and the crowds are so large you are basically running over each other in the rooms. Our guide was loud and obnoxious. He led the group to the cemetary to end the tour, just standin there looking thu the fence he pretty much left us. It was a total waste of time and $40. Also wish I had read these reviews before booking.

2 Thank BellasMom_11
Guam, Mariana Islands
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Huge waste of time and money!!!”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Wish I would had seen these poor reviews before I wasted $100 on this joke of a tour. It is clearly geared for sucker tourists like us and everyone else. It was very disorganized and it had way too many people to really enjor the experience. It lasts 90 minutes, but most of it is filled with time killing such as standing around, etc. I saw enough after about 20 minutes once I realized I been had. The house and history are interesting, but at $20 a person, a huge waste of time and money. The tours by bus or hearse would had probably been more enjoyable.

San Diego, California
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Good outing for a pre-teen/teen and parent...”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My teenage daughter and I were both apprehensive and excited about our 10:30 p.m. date with the paranormal. The first moment of panic occurred when we walked out the door of the hotel and she grabbed my arm..."I AM SWEATING!". Fortunately, the allure of the antebellum Sorrell-Weed house, which was the subject of an episode of the Sci Fi channel's Ghost Hunters, enticed her to push on. I was hoping my $30 tickets bought us a sighting.

Built in 1839 for Francis Sorrell, this was once the place for Savannah's elite to be seen. After Generals Sherman and Lee were entertained here, the house was purchased by Henry Davis Reed, the man responsible for the present day entertainment. At the beginning of the "tour", you learn the tragic events that led to the haunting. As my daughter and I sat on the edge of the best seat in the house (in front of the air conditioner), I couldn't resist...my finger seemed to have a mind of its own as it sought out the back of her head and gently tweaked her hair. Without moving a hair on her head, her panic stricken eyes (and right hand) sought out mine and she gasped..."Mom, something just touched my head...I'm NOT kidding! Seriously...something just touched my head!!!" I did immediate damage control and shamefully confessed my guilt. She melted...this time not from the heat, but from overwhelming relief. As we giggled uncontrollably, I'm surprised a ruler didn't come crashing down across our fingers.

After the slightly disjointed "educational" introduction, you go inside the basement where there were documented sightings by The Ghost Hunters. We all just wandered around...hoping. It's creepy...and my typically independent daughter was firmly attached to my arm. Next was more slightly disjointed history on the first level. The guide encourages you to take pictures and voice recordings in case you are one of the "lucky" ones...we weren't. But, just the potential of it - and the bit of local history - was enough to keep us entertained for a couple of hours.

Overall...not great, but a fun outing for a pre-teen/younger teen and parent.

Visited June 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waste of money....”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Did the day tour...info seemed to be intersting until the end when we got to the carriage house....the guide said that he liked us and normally would not take us into the carriage/slave quarters...he said that because we were a fun group, he would take us in. He pretended that the door was locked, and that someone would let us in. He then said that we could come back later for the ghost tour for $5 off the original price...FAIL!! not to mention, the tip jar, where he stated that the spirits would stay with us unless we tipped... TACKY and FAKE!!

1 Thank muehlbauer