“Great Location and Service”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #22 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was our first time to Savannah and we didn't have any idea where to stay. As luck would have it, this hotel was located 1/2 block from the Visitor Center near museums and the trolley center. Once we parked the car it did not move again until we left.

The accommodations were great. We had a studio suite with a queen size bed and all the amenities - kitchen, dishes, ref rig, microwave, etc. It was clean and the service was great.
They also had the happy hour at 5 each nite with snacks and a great bartender.

We wanted to call a cab to go to dinner but the front desk recommended a shuttle service. For $3/person it would take you anywhere in the city. It was a large golf cart and the driver was like having another tour guide. You can make reservations and they are there on time.

All in all, we were very satisfied with the hotel accommodations and the staff.

Room Tip: The studio suite is plenty of room for two people. They are located in the "cottage area"...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that our location and accomodations made your first visit to Savannah so enjoyable. It is always nice to hear that our bartenders and front desk associates gave great recommendations and I will share your comments with the staff. Thanks again for being our guest!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this Residence Inn very much. The room was immaculate and comfortable. My husband went to the pool each day and loved it. The valet was most helpful and took our bags in an out for us. Couldn't have been nicer. The front desk clerks also were extremely helpful in explaining how to get around, etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. I was glad to hear that our heated pool was a hit with your husband, and that our hospitality and accomodations left you with fond memories. I will be sure to share your comments with our associates and we will look forward to greeting you again when you return to Savannah!

Reviewed 19 October 2013

This property is well-maintained and wonderfully-located. It was a convenient launching point for our daily explorations of the historic Savannah downtown district. The rooms are well-appointed and nicely cared for. However, the thing that makes this property so nice is the staff. Our morning breakfast staff (D and K - thanks) were a bright spot each day, as they spent time to get to know each guest and make sure that their needs were met. The valets and desk staff were so helpful in finding interesting places to go. There is a DOT shuttle pickup right at the front door and the Visitor Center is across the street. Further, it is next door to the Georgia Historical Museum, The Savannah Battlefield Memorial and the Georgia Railroad Museum. Thank you to Residence and its staff for taking care of us so well.

Room Tip: Ask for the cottage suites - definitely worth the stay.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that our location allowed you to enjoy the many museums in the area and that you found the DOT shuttle an added convenience. Most of all I am glad our staff provided you with "Service So Memorable". Your comments are appreciated and we will look forward to a return visit from you. Thanks again for being our guest!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our group of four spent five nights at this property. I normally use Marriott and usually stay in Residence Inn's. This hotel is not up to par compared to other Residence Inn's I have stayed in. It is in need of a good cleaning and maintenance of furnishings.
This hotel is located on the edge of the historic district by the visitor's center. The advantage of being by the visitor's center is for access to transportation. Other than that, everywhere you may want to go is a good walk...which is fine if you're physically able to walk to enjoy this beautiful city.
Most of the staff at the Residence Inn is excellent. They made up for the deficiencies we encountered. I mainly dealt with Marcia, Zippora, and Antuan. They were very responsive to any needs we had, were courteous, and professional. I watched Antuan have to deal with an irate guest and he handled it extremely well and didn't allow her rudeness to change how he was dealing with her. On the other hand, the valet on duty watched us struggle to get four suitcases and a wheelchair out of the taxi and didn't offer to help until we had everything loaded on the cart.
We had a two bedroom suite. The first suite we checked into was just plain dirty and in need of maintenance. The floor was sticky. The fridge was dirty. There was only a couch in the sitting area. No chair, etc. That would make it difficult for the four of us to gather. Marcia kindly offered to let me look at a different suite which had a much better "feel" to it, was in better condition, cleaner, and at least had a chair and a couch in the sitting area. It wasn't until after we moved that I noticed one bedroom didn't have a dresser. Who's ever heard of a hotel room with no dresser? Especially in a suite that we were paying around $350.00 for? That meant two of us lived out of our suitcases for five nights as there was no place to unpack. The explanation was that was how the hotel was designed. However, I pointed out that both bedrooms in the suite we had just moved from had a dresser. They were not able to provide a dresser so I asked for our nightly rate to be adjusted. I accepted $25.00 a night because by that point I was exhausted from a long day of travel and just wanted to get settled in. The second room was better but was also in need of a good cleaning and maintenance, just not as much as the first room.
The breakfast was the typical offerings of these types of hotels. We had planned on trying to save money by going to the evening managers reception for a couple of meals but they were much less than I have experienced in other Residence Inns. The highlight of mealtime, however, was Danae, who was always warm, welcoming, and charming.
There are other hotels in this same general area that I would try before choosing this property.

Room Tip: Look at the room before accepting it. If you don't need a multi-bedroom suite, try to stay in t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

First, thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Savannah Historic District while visiting Savannah. I also appreciate you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay.

Second, I wanted to apologize for not meeting your expectations. When you stay at a Marriott, there are certain expectations that a guest has, and very well should have.

Cleanliness is of the highest priority at our hotel. I have shared your concerns with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments and we have implemented several initiatives to address and correct the issues you mentioned. We also pride ourselves on our service and I have spoken to our valets about proactively seeking opportunities to be of assistance.

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and we hope that when your travels bring you back to Savannah you will select our hotel again and have a perfect stay!

Asst General Manager

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with 2 cats, a small dog and an SUV filled to the brim with luggage and items for the pets! I had sold my house in Manhattan and was en route to Florida. The hotel staff were very helpful and the valet parking was good for my situation. I had a room with a small well equipped kitchen which was perfect for the pets. There was a wonderful Italian restaurant - Corleone's - a short walk from the hotel. My meal was excellent and when I left the next morning they helped re-load my car - the gas station was right there and so was I-75.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. I am glad that our pet friendly room and our valet staff helped make your relocation more bearable. Corleone's is truly one of Savannah's gems and I'm glad you had time to discover it and enjoy a great meal. Thanks again for for being our guest!

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Aside from the laughable retro look, this place was OK. Breakfast was the best we've ever had; but not enough seating in lobby. Rooms were good and pool was nice. Great location to the historic district and the guy in the lobby was very helpful. Wasn't sure how the valet parking was supposed to be, because you pay per day; and fairly expensive, so do you tip them for each time you get car in and out? Noted that others were equally perplexed. Overall, good hotel. Jeremy C has it right...do not walk out at night by yourself.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. We take great pride in our hot breakfast buffet so I was glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much! Though breakfast sometimes gets busy we do offer additional seating in the courtyard and beside the pool, and our breakfast attendants also provide carryout options, as well.
I apologize if our parking option was not fully explained. We offer valet parking in our lighted and secure lots with unlimited "in and out" access to your vehicle. Gratuities are never required but our at the guests' discretion. Also, Savannah has a very active night life and many people either walk, shuttle or taxi safely back and forth. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will be sure to share your comments with our staff. Thanks again for for being our guest!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

For those who can walk, the Residence Inn is in a great location! Ignore the reviews complaining about busy M.L. King St. You can walk to the Visitor Center, 1 block down and cross at the light. Even if you don't walk, the free CAT shuttle goes right by the entrance. Friendliest staff we have found on our 8 night southern vacation. Short walk to the Crystal Beer Parlor for some local flavor (don't miss the crab stew). Stay in one of the cottages for a feeling like having your own condo.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KPatt

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in Savannah. I am glad that you found our location near the Visitor's Center and the DOT shuttle an enjoyable experience. The Crystal Beer Parlor is truly a Savannah favorite, and I am glad you found it, as well. I will share your comments with our associates, and we hope you'll come back and see us soon. Thanks again for being our guest!