“Caught the desk clerk sleeping...”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Savannah, Georgia
“Caught the desk clerk sleeping...”
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

After I caught the desk clerk sleep...let's see...well I had a guaranteed reservation and had to get transferred to another hotel because they were over sold and decided to give my rooms away as if I wasn't a paying customer...the front desk agent name was Victoria...avoid her by all means..she was mad because I guess we woke her up from a nice deep sleep...when you have to walk behind the counter to wake a employee its sad.....she was very rude in helping me find another hotel and by the sounds of her manager on the phone getting a call late at night was upsetting for him too I guess...well I guess we all have our own experiences with hotels but mine was not pleasant... The valet guy tried his best after we talked to her but he couldn't find us a place to go either but he tried and she kept putting us off to him as if we was the front desk agent... maybe next time

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank TherealDC1
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at our hotel. I would like to apologize to you and your family for the inconveniences you experienced on your trip to Savannah. I understand how being relocated to a different hotel can be upsetting, especially given the time of night. Relocating a guest is an unfortunate occurrence that sometimes arises in the hospitality industry. We regret that a loyal Marriott Customer, such as yourself, has had to experience this first hand.

I was also disappointed that our Front Desk Associate made such a bad impression. Our associates have been trained to handle difficult situations, such as this one, with patience and consideration for our guest's circumstances. We take pride in providing great service at all times, and your comments have been addressed with our entire staff, accordingly.

Once again I apologize for your unpleasant experience. We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and we hope that when your travels bring you back to Savannah you will select our hotel again and have a perfect stay!

Willie H. Alls, AGM
ri.savdv.agm@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Arrived late in the evening. Was not familiar with area so had a difficult time parking. Front desk clerk did not greet us and was not very pleasant. We were in a cottage that smelled like a wet dog. The smell got worse over time. On the other hand the breakfast was good and the staff working that area was very friendly. They should be the ones working the front desk.
Also, the cottage we stayed in had an outside entrance which I did not feel safe with. It was upstairs which made it difficult to get my luggage up to.

Room Tip: If you don't like the smell of wet dogs ask for a room that pets have NOT stayed in.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie M
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We take pride in providing southern hospitality so I was very disappointed to hear that you found our front desk associate to be unfriendly. This is not typical of our hotel, and no one should ever leave feeling that guest satisfaction is not our number one priority. Your satisfaction is very important to us and your comments are such a valuable tool in maintaining our high levels of customer service.

I also would like to apologize if our parking option was not fully explained and you had difficulty finding parking . We offer 24 hour valet parking in our lighted and secure lots with unlimited "in and out" access to your vehicle. Parking should never be an issue at our hotel.

I was also sorry to hear that felt your room had a pet odor. We are indeed pet friendly, but there is a $100 sanitation fee to clean the room after a pet has stayed in the room. I apologize for the room not being cleaned to its normal standards.

I hope that when your travels bring you back to Savannah you will stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott - Savannah Historic District, enjoy our breakfast buffet, and experience the quality service and accommodations you deserve and expect from Marriott Hotels.

Asst General Manager
smyrna, ga
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Plenty of room for the whole family. Room was very comfortable. Breakfast and happy hour/food four nights a week. Staff was super friendly. Valet is convenient although parking is $12/day. Goes with the downtown setting I guess. Met our needs perfectly...

Room Tip: cottages in the back are cool and have easy access to the Railroad/Children's Museum
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 29 October 2014
claysfan - Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District. Our goal is to provide a unique and memorable guest experience. We take great pride in serving our guest and are delighted to hear that we met your expectations.

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott! We look forward to having you as a loyal guest and will see you on your next trip.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here on 2/16/14. We were happy with the amenities and breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good and had a good amount of items to choose from. The kitchen staff were close by and checked on items regularly to make sure nothing ran out. The coffee was A+.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen K
Jen K - Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District. Our goal is to provide a unique and memorable guest experience. We take great pride in serving our guest and are delighted to hear that we met your expectations.

so. cal
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've stayed at many RI's all over the country over the years with my 2 45lb dogs. RI's, I've found, are hit or miss. I had been looking forward to staying at this RI on my trip back up the coast as I had read good reviews. I found it to be just OK -- I stayed in the main building in a king studio which was dated and frankly, rather depressing/tacky decor-wise, as well as just not feeling nice and clean. Maybe they have not had a chance to refresh/upgrade these rooms yet? Everything about the room was just so-so. I must say the hallways and common areas were the nicest I've seen in an RI and I guess this is why the room itself was a let down. The location is good for walking the historic district and it is right across from a grassy park which is excellent for the dogs.....overall, an average experience and I'm not sure if I would stay here again - maybe a Cottage next time will be nicer? Parking is expensive (it is outdoor and my car was covered with bird droppings when they brought it to me) and inconvenient.

Room Tip: If you have a dog and are in the main building, there are a number of doors, halls, gates you need t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at our hotel. I was very happy to hear that you found our facility to be convenient for your pet. We know that pets are a big part of the family and their comfort is impotant to us, as well. I was disappointed to hear your impression of our decor. Most guests find our spacious suites to be clean, comfortable and tasteful. Your comments have been shared with our upper management. Thank you for your loyalty to the Residence Inn Brand. We hope you will return and stay in one of our cottage suites and enjoy a perfect stay!
Willie H. Alls, Asst. General Manager
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed for 6 days for a vacation/work trip. Price is reasonable, and It includes breakfast. Rooms are spacious and clean.

Our initial stay was 4 nights. Over the weekend we visited friends in Atlanta and decided to return to the hotel on Sunday night for another couple of nights. This time I had booked via priceline.com instead of directly with the hotel. Because we travel with our 3 year old, I wanted to stay in the one bedroom apartment. I must have booked the wrong room by accident, and tried to change rooms and offered to pay any additional fee. I paid the full rate at priceline.com (no discounts), and the hotel wasn't full - In my view it should have been easy. The advise i got was: "Never book with priceline.com or you get scr*wed". And that is how I felt. Very professional.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DTI2014
DTI2014 - Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

I regret that we were unable to make changes to your prepaid reservation but the discounted rate and the advance payment locks you into your selection. However, your feedback is integral to our ability to continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your time and come visit us again soon

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I just spent almost a week and a half down in Savannah here. This is the third time staying here, in a cottage. Big room, spotless, the breakfast is amazing, drinks in the p.m. cool too. Very safe location, walking distance to River Street (mind you, it's quite a few blocks but felt perfectly safe). Pet friendly, the cottage I stayed in was situated across from the RR park - lots of space for pugs to play.
Very happy here.

Room Tip: Spotless place - I stay in cottages as they are like little individual homes.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Connie B
Connie B - Thank you for sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District.

I am glad that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and our staff "awesome". As a valued customer, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you had a great stay. With a spirit to serve, we take great pride in not only meeting, but exceeding your expectations.

Your feedback is integral to our ability to continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your time and come visit us again soon