“Great Service, Comfortable Rooms”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #18 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Carolina, Puerto Rico
“Great Service, Comfortable Rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

Staff is very attentive and goes out of the way to serve you. Complimentary Valet Parking with gated overnight parking. Hotel is located away from the riverwalk area, but is next to the fare-free Savannah DOT shuttle stop to the riverwalk. Free wireless and wired Internet access. Rooms are very comfortable, with a lot of space. Hotel buildings are in a quadrangle type, with all windows facing inside. Swimming pool and patio are inside the quadrangle. Southern Type cottage rooms with balconies are also available. Some of the doors of these cottage rooms face the street.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank enatal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Milwaukee WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

This new hotel is on the outskirts of the historic district. The staff was great and very accomodating. Mon-Thursday they have a managers reception 5-7 with free wine, beer and lemonade along with several appetizers. A couple of things were on the down side. The first they had on the amenities conventional oven, which was 2 on top burners. They did offer gas grills if needed. Also they have a hot breakfast spread which was really good. Since the hotel was on the outskirts, it wasnt walking distance to the river walk. They do have the DOT which now comes to the hotel. Its free and it runs to 8 or 9pm. I would like to see more businesses in the area. I would definitely return to this hotel. The service, staff and hotel were AWESOME. Everyone was professional and expressed geniune customer service. The grounds were gorgeous. We stayed in the cottages off the hotel. Very private and charming. Alot of history in Savannah!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2009

From the time we entered the hotel, we were guests. The staff was eager to serve and to please. They went out of their way to make sure that we were accomadated in every way. Our experience from the Manager, Desk Clerk, Maintenance Staff, Valet Parking and the Kitchen Staff was that of a Five Star Hotel and in alot of ways, better. This staff was sincere. At the end of our first day, we felt like family. We were in Savannah for our Wedding in Forsyth Park. This "team" made our stay so special that we will not hesitate to return and spend our First Anniversary there and maybe even before. My husband and I travel alot and feel that we really hit the jackpot with this Residence Inn.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

This was our first stay in the Historic District--and will definitely be our return motel in future trips. Everything was tops! Even though we had a pet room and "allergy folks" in our group, the room was spotlessly clean and we had no red allergy eyes :) Great convenience in touring with trolley pick-up leaving our car parked most of the day. The pet walk area was quite large in comparison to other locations we've been. The staff was great--friendly and most accommodating. The yummy breakfast gave us a good start every day, and the suites gave us room to "live" on our trip. Provided security also gave us an extra boost of comfort, and the price range made it affordable for our trip.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
suebob29
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

We stayed here during St. Patrick's weekend, right after the hotel opened. There were a 'loose ends' that weren't finished--some painting, etc. not done. The staff was great and the room was nice, a pleasant surprise.

My problems started when we checked out. I was paying with a prepaid credit card that was specific to travel expenses. I was told that it wasn't accepted which really messed me up because I then had to put it on another credit card. While not alot of money, it wasn't how I expected to pay for my hotel stay. Also, I made the reservation with a specific code because it offered a $50 certificate on a future stay. I didn't receive the certificate, so I called the manager after I returned home.

When I spoke with the manager, he told me that, because they were a new hotel, they weren't set up for the certificates yet, but he would make sure that I got it. It's July and I still haven't gotten it yet, even after calling a few more times. As for the credit card issue, I was able to go to the issuer and get it taken care of that way, but I still had to leave it on the original credit card, then get a check to pay for the bill.

Mine may have been an unfortunate series of circumstances. One was not their responsibiity directly (prepaid card), but the certificate issue was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Not a good way to handle business Residence Inn!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank suebob29
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I traveled with my husband and 2 year old son to Savannah and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We were looking for a suite not too far from the Historic area and this hotel fit the bill perfectly.
The hotel itself is very new and very clean, everything is modern, design is elegant and sleek. Our 1-bedroom suite was huge, more space than we needed. The living room was very big, with a pull-out sofa, flat screen TV, desk, small dining table and a small kitchen attached. The bedroom was good size with a very comfy king size bed. The design is like any of the trendy boutique hotels - leather, stainless steel dark furniture. I love that but if you are looking for an authentic/old-fashioned experience this will not be for you. There is free Wi-Fi in each room as well as two computers and printers in the lobby for guest use.
Free breakfast every morning was pretty decent - eggs, sausage, juices, bagels, muffins, fruit, yogurt, coffee/tea. Nothing exceptional but definitely enough. Cocktail hour with appetizers on weekdays. since we were there over a holiday weekend we only attended this once and it was OK. For a business traveler staying there for a week, it would be a great addition.
The fitness center was small but adequate though we did not use it.
Parking is a bit of an issue - they do provide valet parking in a fenced lot across the street for $12/day or you can park on the street but we could not find a space that was close enough so we opted for valet. A bit expensive in my opinion but it worked for us.
Now, a lot of people have complained about the location of this hotel and I have to say I disagree. Even with our 2-year old it was never a problem. Yes, the hotel is right on the border of the historic district (MLK Jr Blvd) but if you walk only 3 blocks you can reach one of the many squares and Market Street and the many of the other squares are 10-15 minute walk. Forsyth Park is a 15 min walk. The tram tours actually leave from MLK Blvd about a block from the hotel which was super convenient. All the streets in the historic district are very charming and walkable so we actually never used our car in the 4 days we were there, we walked everywhere. It seemed very safe even at night, even with a child. The Riverfront area is about 15-20 min walk but in all honesty I would not have wanted to be in a hotel there because it is very loud with lots of construction going on. With the Residence Inn we could walk the 15 minutes to the restaurants and activities and then be back to our hotel to truly relax.
The best part of this hotel is the pool/courtyard area. We could not remove our son from there and many days we opted to stay the whole afternoon there and go out only at night. There is a super cute patio right next to the pool with an outside fireplace, grills and lounge chairs - we always ate breakfast there. Behind the pool there is a lovely fountain with some benches and our son loved playing there. The pool itself may not look spectacular but it was perfect for us - water was really warm, there were always chairs available, everything is enclosed by a fence so we could let our son run around, and best of all, the whole courtyard is very quiet and relaxing, I'd go back just for that.
The only complaint I have is the housekeeping. On our 2nd day the housekeeper did not come until 3 pm when my son was taking a nap. Because we did not want to wake him up, we just asked her for new towels and asked her to come back to clean the room. She never did. The next day no one came to service the room again and around 5 pm we called for someone to take our trash away and bring new towels and the guy who finally came seemed like he really did not want to be there. If you are staying there for longer, this may turn into a problem.
But other than this issue, everything in the hotel was great and I totally recommend it. The city of Savannah is gorgeous and we were able to see the July 4 fireworks from one of the nearby parks because everything is so flat there.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank tikcho77
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

Hotel just recently built, granite countertops, comfy bed, flat screen TVs and very large suite rooms that seem quite soundproof. Complementary breakfast was hot and tasty. Outdoor pool nice and suitable for laps. Fire pit area for enjoying a beer on a sultry Savannah night. Price was excellent and the staff was very friendly and courteous. Everything you could want in a hotel, except for the location. It is located on the southwest edge of the historic downtown Savannah district. While it is right next to the visitor center and some other hotels, it is not an area to wander at night, and the area to the south is still very rough around the edges. It is about a 20 min walk to the river front. On the way out of town we were detoured around a roped off block where the police were taking pictures of an overnight shooting about 3 blocks from the hotel. While it was most likely a random occurrence, it was disturbing nonetheless. Perhaps the presence of more hotels there will begin to gentrify the neighborhood a bit more in the near future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family