“Excellent service, great location, free parking, good buffet.”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
boca raton florida
“Excellent service, great location, free parking, good buffet.”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Stayed for 4 nights, in busy spring break week, still got a decent rate of about $170/night avg. Big room with full kitchen. Room cleaned daily. Staff is very friendly all around. Breakfast buffet was free and delicious. Full buffet breakfast every morning. Parking on side streets was not a problem and free. Location was about 10 easy blocks to walk to downtown area near river, and about 7 blocks to Forsyth Park and surrounding. Great place to visit, great restaurants.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Arabic first
The Internets
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Hands down, the staff at this hotel, the service, everything is simply top notch. The place is new and is complete with all the comforts of home.

The staff is second to none, they made us feel like family the very first night and truly made our stay wonderful. Crystal at the bar is amazing, as is Bevan, Pam... all of the ladies downstairs.

I have stayed in a lot of hotels and done a lot of traveling, but this was by far the best experience I've ever had.

The hotel is in a great location, it takes about 10 minutes to walk to wherever but it's an absolute joy as Savannah is gorgeous and EXTREMELY pedestrian friendly. Very close to all the major tourist attractions especially the river and city market. Takes

It would take you far longer to drive to any of the places and when I say the walk isn't bad, I mean, if you're able bodied - you won't even notice the walk at all.

GREAT value and be sure to hang out at the bar, especially from 5-7 when drinks are on the house.... don't just sit in your hotel room, you'll miss out on the great culture and the interesting people that stay here for all sorts of reasons.

Ask people what to do and where to eat and you'll get some really great information.

Free grocery shopping service so get them to stock your room with some snacks on the first night if you're staying a few days. Breakfast is the real deal, with lots of options and there's light dinner many weekdays.

Absolutely Fantastic, we're sad to leave and we are already talking about coming back.

While you're there: Be sure to take a picnic to Forsyth Park, go check out the Low house and get the 3-house package deal - it's very worth it if you like history type stuff. Angel's BBQ is a big time MUST and the tours available from the visitor center next door to the hotel are pretty good as well. I also recommend you spend some time on river st, we caught several great free music performances while in town and you can also usually hear some free live music in city market which is around the corner from the hotel.

Open container laws don't exist in this area so grab a beer at the bar and wonder the streets too - if you're into that :).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aguyandagirl
NW Florida
Reviewed 24 March 2010

...Outstanding!! This hotel was like a B&B but without the inflated price tag. Clean, comfortable, romantic, convenient, beautiful and charming. They have a wonderful staff and delicious free breakfasts as well.
Our room was an awesome cottage in the rear, overlooking a lush courtyard with a pool. Very private and quiet with easy access to the outside to downtown and Paula Deens!! We cannot wait to return and the next visit plan a longer stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
boston
Reviewed 21 March 2010

My party traveled to Savannah for St. Patty's and couldn't be happier. While the location for this hotel is not ideal, being on the border of a sketchy area, it is certainly within good walking distance for those able to do it and we never felt insecure, although we did not travel alone unless by taxi. That entire area is obviously being worked on, so it will be interesting to see it in a couple of years.Having the little min-mart next door was perfect! The rooms were spotless and perfect size for the 4 other women I traveled with...but the staff, they deserve the big kudos. Every single person we came in contact with greeted us cordially and kindly. The front desk was always helpful with our questions. My only suggestions for the hotel would be extra mirrors in the bedrooms. Women need mirrors! Also more wastebaskets and trash bags supplied in suite. The only problem we really had was regulating the room temperature. It took us a couple of days to get it right, but I think that was just differences in preferences with my party. Plus Savannah was unusually chilly that week. The breakfast was an unexpected pleasure. Wish we had taken time for the complimentary happy hour! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Macon, GA
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Our stay at this hotel was wonderful. It was convenient to everything, and had the suite we were looking for in traveling with our young son. However, the best part of the hotel cam in the form of housekeeping and Asst. Manager Donna Crone. After being home for some time, I realized that I had not seen a couple of clothing items that I wore during our trip to Savannah. I took a chance and called the hotel, while not hoping for too much. The front desk put me in touch with Ms. Crone, she immediately looked at her computer, and saw that in the database, a bag had been turned in the day after we checked out. She retrieved the bag from storage, and my missing items are inside. One would not think that this was extraordinary service, but it was. Over the years, if any items were left at hotels, I never got them back.or I received a shake of the head and a half hearted effort to look. The process with the Residence was businesslike and friendly. Ms. Crone is to be commended particularly, as well as the housekeeping staff. Thank you.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Warner Robins Georgia
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Do not stay at this hotel unless you want to take chance of being bumped from this hotel

I had a certificate for either a free Friday or Saturday night. I confirmed my reservation through the 1800 number. At check-in, I was told that my certificate had expired. I work in the travel industry, and I recommend you to steer away from this hotel unless you want to be homeless in Savannah.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank rsroth
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I have never felt the need to review a hotel before. Usually the hotels we frequent are average for the type of hotel they are. Mostly we pick places that are tried and true - no fuss and nothing out of the ordinary, but hopefully reasonable value for money. This time we expected the same kind of stay. Residence Inns are usually clean, roomy, reasonably located, etc. However, this one was exceptional, in a good way.

Its location is good, but not great if you want to be in the middle of the historic district. It is located off Martin Luther King Jr Drive just as Interstate 16 ends. It is just barely inside what is considered the historic district. It is a walk down to Broughton Street where the shopping is and then a few more blocks down to River Street where lots of restaurants are located. Having said that, the walk is not a problem. The street is well travelled and lighted all the way. We enjoy walking so it was not a hardship for us. We were not walking late at night (after midnight) but we did not feel uncomfortable walking at night.

Parking on the street around the hotel is limited but they do have valet parking for $12 a day and it is unlimited in and out. We only took our car out one day to go down to Tybee Island so we may have been able to park on the street but opted to use the valet parking. They were very responsive when we called and asked to have our car. Less than ten minutes from the time we called till we had our car.

The hotel is fairly new and the rooms are spacious, as in most Residence Inns. The distinction here is that the individual units are situated as in a hotel, the rooms open onto a central interior hallway, not like a lot of Residence Inns where the units tend to look more like apartments and all the entrances are open to the outside. I felt like this would be a really good place for women staying alone - it felt much more secure than when the rooms are all open to the outside.

So, what makes me want to recommend this hotel when I don't normally do reviews? The STAFF! We did not encounter one surly, unhelpful person the entire time we stayed, which was three days. At the desk they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. When we checked in they provided information about the area, without our asking. The lobby area was inviting and clean. There was an evening social time from 5 til 7 that included food (different every night - salad and chili one night, pasta one night and cheese and crackers and munchies one night) and drinks (wine, beer, soft drinks). The bartender was talkative and friendly. The breakfasts were plentiful and the staff at breakfast was outstanding. They greeted people individually, remembered people from one day to the next, made every effort to have food hot and ready. We were late getting down to breakfast the first day (arrived just before 9 and they stop serving at 9:30) and most things were gone. However, in less than ten minutes everything was filled and available. My husband is not known for his patience and one of the staff noted his displeasure. She promised him it would be right out and spent the next two mornings assuring him that there was plenty of food and he would be well fed. She handled it just perfectly. (The key was to get there a little earlier before the families tended to go to breakfast.) The point being that it could have been a negative but the staff made it into a positive situation by using humor and following through and making everything okay for the guest.

It was a pleasant experience every day and we were able to start out the day on a positive and up note, and end the day in the same way. I would definitely stay here again and have no problem recommending it to others.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple