“WOW!!!! We were so lucky”

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Greensboro, North Carolina
“WOW!!!! We were so lucky”
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We heard about the hotel from some friends and my parents allowed us to use their points for our stay. As soon as we walked in we fell in love. Everything about it was beautiful and I new we were going to be impressed. the room was perfect for a family of 5 and my girls felt like they were having a slumber party and during breakfast they felt like little ladies as the made their own waffles.

We came into Savannah hoping to have a nanny all set up for our anniversary dinner. The nanny was a no show and we were pretty bummed and on top of that our children were wide awake at 10pm. The young lady who works the night shift, Karen (I'm sorry if that's not right!!!) was a doll. She offered to watch our children while we walked on River Street since we had missed our dinner reservations and it was a Friday night she explained that we would be able to find a bar that served drinks and that a walk on the river was a beautiful alternative and boy was she right! We were gone for maybe an hour and when we returned Karen and our 3 girls had a place set up for us by the pool. She'd ordered pizza and salad from a local pizza place and our girls made us cards and even blew up some balloons to decorate our table. The music by the pool was unexpected and it just set the mood. She continued to entertain the girls as we ate and enjoyed each others company. It didn't stop there, when we woke up the next morning there was an envelope under our door with tickets for a horse and carriage ride through the historic district as well as new dinner reservations for Saturday night and to top it off she invited our girls to Chuckee Cheese to spend time with her children on her day off so that we could enjoy the anniversary dinner we'd missed the night before. The only bad thing about the trip was we didn't get the opportunity when we checked out Sunday to thank her for making our anniversary the best ever and we promise to spend all of them in Savannah!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank LandaWhitely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Centerton, Arkansas
Reviewed 6 August 2010

We stayed one night here while we visited Savannah. It's located right next to the visitor's center, so we checked in, caught a tour and got to see Savannah and get our bearings quickly. The pool area is nice, breakfast had many choices, and the location make it a great base to explore on our own.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I was so impressed by the attentive and friendly staff at this hotel. I stayed a week and I can't think of one complaint. The free happy hours and large buffet breakfasts make this hotel very economical as well. Room was spacious and quiet. The location is an easy walk to the historic center though a little removed for walking home late night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I loved my stay at the Residence Inn during the week of the 4th of July. It was so relaxing. We had the one-bedroom suite and I loved that I could get up early, move to the other room and watch TV without disturbing hubby. I enjoy having a kitchen, but I didn't have a full size oven this time. I like having a kitchen because if I choose to cook up a little something, it's not a problem. But I didn't have a need because there is a nice breakfast every morning and in the evenings there are snacks that can sometimes replace dinner. I've always heard of the "social hour" at the Residence Inn, but this was my first time that I realized that it included free wine and beer from 5:00 - 7:00, I believe. That was a very nice perk.

I would definitely stay again.

The staff was so nice and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Jenks, Oklahoma
Reviewed 9 July 2010

The hotel itself is nice. For the most part, it is a typical Residence Inn. The courtyard area is unique. The staff, however, is probably the best staff of any hotel I have ever stayed in. To a person, they were professional and helpful, yet very friendly at the same time.

The hotel is on the edge of the historic district and I probably would not feel comfortable walking back there from the river, but we had bicycles and I was comfortable the one night we rode them back. Unfortunately for us, the other nights it was raining when we left the hotel for dinner, so we had to take the car.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Kansas City
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed here 2 nights & were pleasantly surprised by the rooms & landscaping. Request a cottage room which are located outside the hotel with a fountain/courtyard view. The second floor cottages have a small porch with a rocking chair--always fun. Breakfast and evening 'supper' are added bonuses. There is a nice field across from the hotel, great for kids and pets to run. Although it is on the perimeter of Savannah, we walked into town no problem. Make sure to check out city market & the fountains, Leopold's Ice Cream, and of course, River Rd.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Charleston
Reviewed 5 July 2010

The Residence Inn in Savannah was very disappointing. This was supposed to be a weekend break for July 4th. We arrived to find very limited parking and apart from valet the only other option was on-street. On check in we were booked into a 2nd floor room , this would have been fine apart from my wife is currently using a wheelchair and there was no elevator. The lady at the check in desk changed our room to something on the first floor , i wish we had kept the 2nd floor room and struggled. The room we were given smelt badly of smoking ( this is a non smoking hotel) and the room also felt very damp. We left the hotel and arrived back mid evening, the room smelt no better than earlier even though it had been "treated" . I asked to be moved , but unfortunately there were no rooms available. By the morning both of us felt very uncomfortable , even our packed clothes felt damp, it was a relief to leave. On a positive note , the outside area was very nice and well presented , the pool area was also very good , but it did not offset the disappointment of the room , at nearly $200 / night , this is not what i would expect.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c5day
savdv, Manager at Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw of the Residence Inn by Marriott Savannah Downtown Historic District. I apologize that you did not have a less than perfect stay.

As our hotel is located downtown in the historic district, we have very limited on-site parking. We do offer valet parking as an option with unlimited availability to your vehicle. Cars are parked in one of our off-site secured lots. For those who choose to self park there is limited street parking available.

The hotel does have an elevator. I am sorry this feature was not communicated to you at check-in.

Thank you for addressing your concerns regarding the issues you experienced with the dampness of the room and the smoke odor. While we are a smoke free hotel, I regret that sometimes not all of our guests do not comply with this policy. We make every effort to deodorize rooms after we find one which has been smoked in. We have also asked the engineering department to address the dampness issues you experienced.

It is through comments and feedback such as yours that we are better able to serve our guests . We hope that you will return to our hotel in the future and experience the quality service and accommodations you deserve and expect from Residence Inn hotels!