“Great suite at a great price in a great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District

Residence Inn Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #20 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Layton, Utah
“Great suite at a great price in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

This hotel has newer suites complete with kitchenette and flat screen TV. Valet parking for $12/day, although most non-city dwellers will do almost anything to avoid paying it, the service is excellent. Typical Residence Inn breakfast and evening hors douvres with beer and wine. The hotel bar/lounge area is better than most with a 6-stool bar and bartender. Pool/patio area with gas grill, lounge chairs, and umbrella tables is very nice. A larger than usual fitness center with modern useful equipment. Within walking distance of historical sites, churches, dining, and bars. The staff is friendly and efficient with lightning quick housekeeping. In addition to the whole downtown area being within walking distance the DOT shuttle stops right in front of the hotel and will have you at the farthest most stop in 15 minutes. The Savannah visitor's center is right next door. If you're visiting Savannah and need the convenience of a Residence Inn suite make this your stop,

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2010

This was my first trip to Savannah and had a nice time. The hotel is right off the exit in an area that is clearly trying to clean itself up. There is Courtyard across the street and they are opening a Springhill Suites a little further down the road.

The hotel itself is brand new. Very clean and really everyone working there was very helpful and nice. Oh and it is VERY dog friendly, great roaming areas and places to do their business. I know, all Residence Inns are dog friendly, but I have been to some where there is an edge towards the people who have dogs staying. There is a typical sized Residence Inn pool in the middle of the courtyard with lounge chairs, a fire pit and a couple of barbecues.

A few things though- when you walk outside the hotel after a rain shower or if it is early in the morning it SERIOUSLY has a nasty smell. I have no idea what it is but it was gross. If you drive about 2-3 minutes to the right of the hotel on MLK Ave it is a real bad area. The houses are dilapidated and I wouldn't suggest pulling over there. However, if you keep driving you pop into nicer areas (kinda weird).
Last thing, it as clear that the floor were never mopped in the kitchen and the bathroom. There was 2 stains on the kitchen floor when we checked in and they were still there when we checked out. The bathroom was equally questionable.

I would suggest staying here for the walking convenience to river st, broughton st and to see all the beautiful homes, in addition to the great staff.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2010

It does get much better than staying at this hotel. why pay $200 or more at River Street hotels that don't even get close to this Residence Inn near the Visitor Information Center.
Don't let the location bother you, because it is safe. Free hot breakfast to die for and nice free meal & snacks at evening.

The best of all is the staff at this hotel. The staff will treat you like a king or Queen. They go out of their way to make sure you are care for. My kids loves the staff and staff even remembers them a year after their first stay at this hotel.

Anyway, it is the best place in Savannah, and if you truly want a clean and friendly place to enjoy during your stay, this is it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 months for business. The experience was the best I have had during at least my last 2 years of business travel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in every way. The manager's receptions Monday through Thursday evening were an excellent opportunity to pass the time and meet with some of the most interesting people I have ever met. Chrystal, who worked at the bar, is someone who I now call a friend as she showed a tremendous interest in the residents and took the time to get to know all of us who were here for extended periods of time. Being a local she was also a tremendous resource in recommending different and wonderful places to dine. The facilites were fabulous, clean, and in good working order. The breakfasts were also excellent as were the kitchen staff. The location was also fabulous, taking only about 20 minutes to walk all the way down to River Street. Downtown Savannah is a wonderful place to visit, with many exceptional restaurants, micro beers, and entertainment. Oops, don't let me forget the valet parking staff who were also excellent, having my car ready for me in the morning with windshields and headlamps cleaned, and running to get it cooled down. Bottom line, I cannot give anything but praise to this hotel and its staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night. When we first arrived, I will tell you I was very disappointed in the location because on the website, I guess I just pictured it to be in a better area and in my opinion it wasn't! However, it ended up being very nice on the inside and gace the feeling of seclusion. There was a hip little pool/social/fire pit area. Also they served free beer, wine and appetizer in the evening, and free breakfast. Everything here was nice! There was a free transportation bus that ran from the hotel to basically any of the tourist attractions you want to go to, so that was a huge benefit! It ended up being a great place to stay! If we ever go back to Savannah, we probley would stay here!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

It's not that Residence Inns are all that bad, but this one certainly stands out from the rest. I travel just over 75 days a year and I am very loyal to my Marriott brand. I was passing through and needed to stop in Savannah. I paid about $119 for my room which was large, very new, clean and a stainless steel kitchen. There was a nice manager's reception with free beer, cheap beer thereafter, and great conversation at the bar. Breakfast was great as well the next morning. No reason to pay for a breakfast anywhere else. I do also have to recommend a place almost across the street called the Distillery. Excellent food, amazing beer selection in an incredibly historic, remodeled building.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mattgosselin
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We heard about the hotel from some friends and my parents allowed us to use their points for our stay. As soon as we walked in we fell in love. Everything about it was beautiful and I new we were going to be impressed. the room was perfect for a family of 5 and my girls felt like they were having a slumber party and during breakfast they felt like little ladies as the made their own waffles.

We came into Savannah hoping to have a nanny all set up for our anniversary dinner. The nanny was a no show and we were pretty bummed and on top of that our children were wide awake at 10pm. The young lady who works the night shift, Karen (I'm sorry if that's not right!!!) was a doll. She offered to watch our children while we walked on River Street since we had missed our dinner reservations and it was a Friday night she explained that we would be able to find a bar that served drinks and that a walk on the river was a beautiful alternative and boy was she right! We were gone for maybe an hour and when we returned Karen and our 3 girls had a place set up for us by the pool. She'd ordered pizza and salad from a local pizza place and our girls made us cards and even blew up some balloons to decorate our table. The music by the pool was unexpected and it just set the mood. She continued to entertain the girls as we ate and enjoyed each others company. It didn't stop there, when we woke up the next morning there was an envelope under our door with tickets for a horse and carriage ride through the historic district as well as new dinner reservations for Saturday night and to top it off she invited our girls to Chuckee Cheese to spend time with her children on her day off so that we could enjoy the anniversary dinner we'd missed the night before. The only bad thing about the trip was we didn't get the opportunity when we checked out Sunday to thank her for making our anniversary the best ever and we promise to spend all of them in Savannah!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family