SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #38 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Westminster, MD
“a great stay”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

the room was clean, with showers that had great pressure. breakfast was coffee, juice with eggs, sausage and biscuits. the location is perfect for exploring the historic district. the concierge was very helpful setting us up with a bus tour on short notice. we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Pawcatuck, Ct USA
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

That is why I stay at Springhill, they provide a clean room, and a comfortable bed. The staff where wonderful. The location to everything historic are great. The breakfast......it is ok, just have the coffee, and go.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fordan
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 February 2014

After being rudly put on hold by reservations I booke through hotels.com. Wanted to confirm the reservation but the front desk clerk put me on hold for a very long time. Then wanted to call me back when I said I just need to know if we have a room she was rude and was like no. Of course we got our money back, but I will never try a springhill again customer service is everything and they do not have it night in question 2-14-14

Room Tip: To rude to try
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Lee S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I understand your frustration. I apologize for the inconvenience. This is not a standard practice for us and we will work hard to assure this doesn't happen again. Thank you for your feedback, it has provided us with valuable information which will be used to caoach our team.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you.
Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 February 2014

CHILL - Comfortable (in every way), Hospitable (absolute BEST Management & Staff), Indulgent (delicious free breakfast), Lavish & Luxurious (bedding and decor).

There is no other way to describe this place.

I do NOT understand the lower rating for this hotel. Some people must REALLY be hard to please, because I found the Managers and Staff at this Hotel MORE than willing to bend over BACKWARDS to meet your EVERY SINGLE NEED!

Sincerely, my husband and I are retired and travel extensively in and out of the U.S. This hotel goes above and beyond in our opinion, to ensure your satisfaction. I bet they would totally be willing to help out, if you had ANY complaint at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Swwimmer
Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The location of this hotel is really great and very close to everything in the historic district. We walked everywhere.
The Good:
1. Location
2. Free Breakfast if you aren't picky (see below for issues)
3. Some staff members were pleasant
4. Fairly comfortable beds
The Bad:
1. We were at the hotel for a Saturday,Sunday, Monday breakfast. The weekend breakfast is not as good as the weekday breakfast. The weekend breakfast had a waffle bar and way too many pastries and such and not enough fruit and other choice. Also, the Greek yogurt cups ran out on Saturday and they didn't replenish it until Monday. (It's silly, I know but that is what I eat for breakfast and I was sad!) The weekday breakfast had more fruit available. I was kind of annoyed that it was different from weekend/weekday.
2. Room temperature: I could never get the room temperature comfortable. If I set the thermostat at 70, it was freezing. If I set it at 71, the air barely ran and it was hot and stuffy. I was up all night back and forth to the thermostat trying for a balance!
3. Beds are very soft. If you like a firm bed, this could be bad.
4. They advertise a fold out sofa in the room but it is not usable for an adult. An adult's body weight is too heavy for the cushion and it is very uncomfortable and lumpy/you can feel the frame.
5. If things like stains on the carpet and linens or curtains (how does that even happen?!) bother you, you may want to skip this hotel. There were many stains in our room and while it felt clean, it has seen better days.

It is an affordable way to stay in the historic district and the location is great for the price but if you are looking for ambiance, romance, or anything other than a functional place to sleep, you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EBDRJD
Lee S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. They were very clear, constructive, & insightful.

Although we cannot do much with the Breakfast options, as these are part of a brand wide program, we understand the desire for a healthy breakfast. We have reviewed your comments with all of our managers, particularly regarding your room, and will work hard to improve on the areas that are within our control.

We hope that shoudl you find yurself in Savannah again in the future, you will stay with us again. Thank you again for taking time to share!
Washington, DC
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were disappointed by our stay based on the positive TA reviews. First, though it's in downtown, it's definitely at the edge, so most everything is a bit of a walk. Second, the breakfast are at hours such that you have to be up pretty early to get to it so if you're trying to relax/sleep in, you'll probably miss it. Third, the room was pretty oddly laid out. The toilet and sink are in a separate area. Worse though, our shower flooded each day and we had to clean up the water. Finally, one of the reasons we chose the hotel was because it had a hot tub... it was broken when we were there. Pretty disappointing!

Room Tip: Try to choose a room away from the main street.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
rtrobin.

We appreciate your comments on your stay. It is only through our guests candid reviews that we are able to evaluate and improve our product & service. We have definitely heard the comment on size of the Historic District many times before. With Savannah's Historic District being the largest registered historical district in the country, it tends to seem that you are a long way away from everything. WHile we are quite a distance from Forsyth Park (great running route though), we are ideally situated to River Street (3 blocks), City Market (1 block), & the Civic center for Concerts (directly Across the street).
The rooms are definitely different in their layout & approach with the split bathroom. Marriott was looking to think outside the box & bring a more European feel to a Select Service hotel. We realize that this is not always to everyone's taste.
The breakfast hours are 6:30-9:30 weekdays & 7-10 on weekends & holidays. We understand that we have many varying guests, and that it is hard to accomodate everyone sometimes. We apologize that these times we a bit early. We always are reviewing what our guests tell us as a whole, and will continue to re-evaluate the these times to consider possible future changes.
I am unsure of why the hot tub may have been down, but assure you that we work diligently to keep it up and minimize the time it is down for service.

We hope the rest of your stay was enjoyable and look forward to serving you again in the future!
Boston
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I agree with other reviewers about the odd layout, separate very small rooms for toilet/sink and shower/vanity, but it is certainly workable. Breakfast run-of-the-mill for Marriott, nothing special, nothing awful. The view from our room, however, was grubby (rooftops, parking garage, alleys & dumpsters). The hotel faces one of the parks, so I decided to ask. So I did-and asked why, when I made the reservation way in advance AND I'm a Marriott rewards member, were we on the backside with a lousy view. Answer? Oh, we have three groups in..... yes, we know, and all three consist of teenaged girls. Ok, so your loyal customers get the lousy rooms? This is the second trip where this has happened at a Springhill (last time was a soccer tournament for boys aged 6 to 9). I'm thinking we'll be looking at other lodging options next trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! It is always insightful to hear what our guests see & experience while with us. I am disappointed to read your comments regarding your room placement & subsequent explanation by our staff. We do value our Rewards members and work hard to keep them happy. I would hope that our staff were merely sharing that we were very full with large groups that may have had special needs or requirements. As you indicated, we try to keep groups that may be a bit more boisterious, separate from other guests so they do not disturb others.
PLease accept my sincere apology for this lessing your stay. We work hard to deliver every guest the experience they expect, and do take it very seriously when we fall short. We hope that this will not deter you from using Marriott in the future & would love to have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Savannah!