“Amazing food”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I ate here my last night in Savanna. The food was second to none. The night before I ate at one of the top ten restaurants in Savanna a James Beard award winner no less and all I can think about is the food at the Rib Hut. The ribs are perfectly cooked and sauce is some sort of magic, crab cakes that are mostly crab and not bread. I really can not stress enough how good the food is.

The proprietor in the casual good humor of a great chef sliped us a free sample of fired broccoli that blew me away. Just a sample of what was to come.

Ok, if you want this stuff, you are going to have to venture a few min out of town. The building is older and dining room a bit worn some might find this to be a turn off. The bathroom should not be used... Don't let this stop you!!

If you go here the first day of your trip you will go back as many times as you can. I will go back as soon as I step foot in town.

1  Thank RLPayson

Reviewed 28 June 2012

A dive. Not like that faux hipster on TV talks about, but a real, genuine dive. Bathrooms are best left alone. Neighborhood is OK, but off the tourist "safe" track. Building has seen better days. So you know the food has to be good.

Mama makes delicious BBQ. I took my family, and some of them don't even like smoked meat (genetic deficiency on the wife's side). However, everyone ate pig, and everyone liked it. All plates were clean.

From the time we ordered, to the time we had food was almost exactly 30 minutes. This ain't fast food. Don't go in a hurry. Mama has been cookin' here for 35 years, and she wasn't a spring chicken when she started. She works at a deliberate pace, and turns out magic meat.

The meat is cooked low and slow. Fat is almost non-existent, having rendered off in the cooking process. The meats are topped with an unusual-looking sauce. At first, I thought it almost looked like canned beef gravy. But this is her own sauce, which she says is made from scratch, and I had no reason to disagree with her.

The sauce is very thick, brown with a hint of yellow. It does not look like any sauce I've tasted. It isn't sweet. There's definite spice to it, and maybe some mustard (it is near Carolina, after all), and some richness like the butter in zip sauce. And umami, lots of umami.

On top of that, the ribs must be rubbed with spices as well. 15 minutes after eating, I was still sweating. The food wasn't hot, but there is an appreciable spice level. The ribs were chewy, with a bit of pull, definitely not falling off the bone.

I mean that in a good way--the meat was still on the bone, so you got to gnaw a bit. It was tender in your mouth, but still connected to the rib. In my book, darn near perfect.

Paper plates, plastic forks, and white bread make up the utensils. You won't need the fork, unless you want to eat the small salad that comes with the dinner plates. It's OK, but the space could be put to better use.

The shrimp and hush puppies were probably not from scratch, but I could be wrong. That being said, they were still better than what I ate down on the river earlier in the day, at three times the price.

In short, no atmosphere, friendly but slow service, great food, and an unusual, unique delicious BBQ sauce. If you love you some 'que, get there!

1  Thank AccidentalGlobetrttr
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I had great food. The cook/owner is very nice old lady, reminded me of my grandma.
Recommendation is GO. Tell her I said Hi.

1  Thank rdekhkanov
Reviewed 20 February 2012

this place is absolutely epicly awesome!!! you go in and mama is there to meet you. now dont be put off by the location its part of the character of this place.. you go in and place your order at the counter and you can sit at the bar since most people take their food to go. and you get to watch the seventy something woman known as mama make you food. now dont go here if you are in a rush because she is the only person that works there.. but the wait isnt bad maybe 10 minutes.. but they have pool tables and beer to keep you occupied.. but they food comes out and is smothered in the most delicious and sweet and tangy and spicy sauce i have ever had! im getting excited just thinking about it!! and i just had it yesterday! but everything there is good! dont bother ordering beef because they dont sell it. and the deep fried broccoli is the best thing ever!! i dont even like the stuff but here it just melts in your mouth with a little crunch..mmmmhhhmmmmm. just go and try it its the best in savannah!!! you will not be disappointed.. unless your an idiot!

2  Thank ChefCookie
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Ribs were quite good. Would go back again for take-out only.