“Nice decor, but don't expect to get a good night's sleep”

The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection
Ranked #29 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice decor, but don't expect to get a good night's sleep”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I hope this review will serve as the fair warning that I never received for anyone considering this hotel.

Pros: Very nice decor, clean, stylish rooms, and a great location for getting around by foot.

Cons: NOISE - the rooftop bar has live music on Wed, Thus, Fri and Sat. nights. We were staying on the 6th floor and we laid awake in bed each night unable to sleep because the music from the rooftop bar was that LOUD. When I called the front desk at 12:30am to complain the woman told me 'that's just how it is' and offered no solution, didn't even offer to have them turn it down. We were 3 floors below the bar, that's how loud it is. At check out we raised the concern again and they responded by telling us that its 'normally only floors 7 and 8 which complain about the noise', as if it were totally acceptable to have that many noise complaints from PAYING GUESTS! Shocking. They didn't seem sincerely apologetic at all and didn't offer any kind of compensation for several nights of ruined sleep.

There is also a DVD/Cable box device in the room that makes a constant loud noise, like a loud laptop fan that won't stop running. We had to unplug the power each night to shut it off.

We enjoy going to loud nightclubs on occasion and we are no stranger to a good live band, but when you pay these prices for a hotel room, you expect it (at the very least) to be quiet enough to crash and get a good nights sleep!

Lack of Parking was another issue that they don't seem to care much about. There are approx. 10 free parking spaces outside the hotel and the remaining 15 or so are metered. Word to the wise: if you can't snag one of the free spaces you can park your car just down the street at a parking garage at $16 per day. The hotel will valet your car to this same parking garage and charge you $21 per day.

Another drawback is the lack of amenities. No pool, no spa, no fine dining, no mini-bar (strange). The riverfront restaurant looks beautiful but is very casual dining and they accept non-hotel guests at all of their bars and restaurants making it very crowded, so book ahead! Expect to stray away from the hotel for most things...at least it is in a good location for doing so!

Finally, the bathroom and some parts of the hotel smell like sewage. Probably due to the proximity to the river. We came into our room one day to the strong smell of sewage coming from our bathroom.

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is not the place to stay.

Room Tip: If you value a good night's sleep, go somewhere else, but if you must stay here I would advise s...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Veronica M
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 4 December 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. While you enjoyed the décor and great location, please accept our sincere apology that you were disappointed with the noise in your room and lack of amenities. Next time you are in Savannah, please pay a visit to our sister property, Mansion on Forsyth Park, offering a peaceful setting with a variety of amenities!

Guest Experiences Specialist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The hotel is nice looking in and out. However our service was less then subpar. We checked in and found our room was a handicap room. Now at 500.000 a night. I shouldn't receive a handicap room, or I should of been told beforehand. It had no tub. A short closet (handicap). I asked to be moved. They were booked. So we stayed two nights in this room. At the end of the stay they did remove a night stay, which was nice.

After driving home. We noticed that we were missing a bag. So we call them up. They said they would ship the bag for free. Only because it was in the bellhop's closet.

The window wasn't sealed right so we had a draft.

Two weeks go by, and I check my credit card statement and they charged me for both nights. (This is still being resolved.)

Room Tip: Get a corner room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. We apologize for any inconvenience and are pleased we were able to solve the situation.

charlotte nc
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is a great choice on the river. In the heart of the riverwalk with good restaurant choices lots to see and do. The hotel is very nice and has a very comfortable feel. I found the staff to be both friendly and helpful. My only complaint was the water pressure in the shower which was very low but that is a common complaint for me. Overall I would recommend it and am sure that I will be back.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have great views and are a little quieter.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
We are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. We are pleased you found the hotel "comfortable" and our team "both friendly and helpful". Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back.

USA
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My first time in Savannah...what a wonderful city! (Partner visited many times on "business", at the adequate, but boring, hotels nearby.) The tours of the amazing parks, historic homes, gorgeous architecture of the "public" buildings (even the "corny" trolley tour guide comments!) , celebrity restaurants, and trendy shops were so enjoyable , but very much "expected".
However, the Bohemian Hotel was FAR from the usual...the site photos do not do it justice. The location was great...walking distance from ANY of the "famous" downtown destinations.
(or...use a day long trolley pass, getting off and on as you choose...cheaper than any taxi in comparable city.)

Even if had had traveled alone, I would have enjoyed this unique hotel. Being described as an "autograph" property, were expecting something different...we were not disappointed.
The decor was refreshingly "non-tradtional" for the usual hotel experience.
True appreciation of art is in the "eye of the beholder"...LOVED the art in the lobby, reception area, and rooftop restaurant/lounge. Not such a fan of the (personally speaking!) fairly disturbing bathroom and bedroom art!
Would have preferred more seating in the lobby areas, but they were nice and beautifully appointed.

Our 8th floor room (although not a "balcony" room), had all of the necessary expectations for a traveler, but unique enough to depart from the "cookie cutter" experience!!
We did not have noise from the rooftop restaurant/bar interfere with sleep, but did not go to bed "early" , as we wanted to enjoy everything in the city until the last possible minute!
The leather chair and ottoman were SO comfortable...could have slept there all night wrapped up in the wonderful soft "throw" from the bed! (would love to have them at home, but probably cost prohibitive!!!)
The riverfront views are nice...trade ships seem really close and are entertaining to watch late at night from your room. Take the time to "slow down" and watch them pass.
(We live on a large river, and enjoy watching the barges travel by when we are home...gives a sense of calmness and simplicy to life.)
Through no fault of the hotel, the opposite riverfront view is of an industrial area...not very pretty to look at...take the good with the bad. Maybe the city needs to put an ordiance in place to plant evergreen trees in front of the industrial sites along the riverfront.

The restaurant prices were no more than expected for any similar destination and location...actually cheaper than some we have encountered. The food was good....individual tastes always have a preference...the lobster "corn dogs" were phenomenal!! (raw oysters need to be colder.)

EVERYONE at the hotel was more than helpful, very cordial...everything expected from a hotel of "autograph" reputation. Yes, it is their job, but "southern hospitality" is alive and well with the family of employees at this hotel.

For business travelers...the room is no darker after sunset than many other rooms with "artificial" lighting. I would suggest "calling it a day" at sunset...claim a little of your "free time" , and enjoy watching the ships go by from the rooftop or in the comfort of your room from the comfy leather chair. (or both!)

Room Tip: Ask for a rierfront room ...with a balcony if you really think you would benefit from it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RaymondAlabama
Thank you for the wonderful compliments regarding your stay at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. We are thrilled you enjoyed the ambience, art, river views and your dining experience. We look forward to serving you with "southern hospitality" again in the future.

Birmingham
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Was my first time in Savannah, and travelling alone, decided i wanted a good class of hotel. The hotel had wonderful views of the riverfront, and accessible to most shops, trolley tours, but it just lacked something! I was on a 4 week tour of USA, and had already stayed in 4 hotels.
I thought it was expensive to eat in the hotel, so eat out all the time. The hotel was very dark everywhere.
One day i locked myself out of the hotel safe, and an engineer came and just put his code in and got access to my safe! That was a bit worrying.
I would definately go back to Savannah, but not this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Riverfront view, its worth the extra. you can watch the boats go by at night.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank TravellingSolo_11
Thank you for taking the time to reveiw your recent visit to The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. Please accept our apology that your stay failed to meet your expectations. Your comments have been shared with our team for improvement. We would like the opportunity to serve you again should you return to Savannah.

Ohio
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Savannah is an interesting mix of old and new and the Bohemian is solidly in the trendy new category. We visited Savannah over the weekend and the Bohemian was a good place for our getaway with a great location. The decor was an immediate surprise - gothic-nautical, shabby-chic and sometimes creepy. Hallways throughout were dimly lit with dark walls giving the place a very edgy feel. Fortunately, the room was bright. We were situated on the 8th floor with a fabulous view of the river and the trade ships en route. The room was a good size, the bathroom fabulous, even without a soaking tub. They traded the latter for a spacious shower - kudos to the designer! I slept well on the comfortable bed but I will warn readers not to choose the 8th floor since noise from the rooftop bar is still notable at this level. My husband had more difficulty sleeping with the party going on overhead.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. We had a nice dinner at the restaurant and we also enjoyed the bar on the rooftop. The bar was a scene and quite crowded, but there was room to move outside and places to sit and enjoy the views of downtown Savannah.

I would recommend this hotel if you are in town to enjoy the nightlife but if you are looking for Old Savannah, keep looking - this isn't it.

Room Tip: Call and ask which rooms are best to minimize the noise from the street below and the party overhead...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank pack-N-fly-N-play
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
We appreciate the review of your recent stay at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront and are delighted it was a “good place for your getaway with a great location”. We are pleased our team, your room’s amenities, the “fabulous view of the river”, your dinner and visit to the rooftop bar were all memorable experiences. We hope to see you again when you return to the Savannah area.
Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Although I had a reservation for 3 nights, I left after the first night to another hotel. I was in Savannah for work and needed a clear, lit atmosphere in my room. The ambiance of the hotel - on the floor where my room was and inside my room - was so dark it was difficult to work. It was, instead, perfect for a couple get-away!

The staff were helpful, although they couldn't accommodate my request for additional lights (desk lamp? floor lamp?). There were none. Fortunately, I was able to check out without a penalty.

Be sure to check your final bill. My reservation had required a deposit, and when my bill was printed out, I was charged 2 nights instead of 1. The staff immediately rectified the mistake and apologized for the oversight.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank foodiexpat
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 30 October 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Bohemian Hotel Savannah Riverfront. We certainly appreciate your comments that have been shared with the appropriate departments in order to improve future guest satisfaction. We would love the opportunity to serve you again.