“Beautiful...Welcoming...Comfortable”

Ranked #16 of 31 Savannah B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Beautiful...Welcoming...Comfortable”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Galloway House. It really wasn't simply a room - it was our home for a few days. Jim & Keith keep a wonderful home and their gardens are amazing. I couldn't get over how lush every thing was! They are in a great location, have wonderful recommendations for restaurants and activities and truly go out of their way to make sure that their guest feel at home. Next time we head to Savannah, we will be sure to stay at the Galloway House again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Carriage House - 2nd Floor. Very cute apartment with a nice kitchen and a comfy be...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dayton, Ohio USA
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were thrilled when we arrived at The Galloway House. It was even better than we could have imagined. We stayed in the lower carriage house. It was so charming and decorated very nicely. It was so nice to have a separate kitchen, living room, and bedroom plus a nice bathroom. The garden area was like one I have seen in magazines. We ate dinner at Katherine's Place as suggested by Jim. The food was delicious and the restaurant was first-class. Jim brought us wine and flowers which was a nice touch. We would highly recommend The Galloway House Bed & Breakfast for a vacation in Savannah. Thanks to Keith and Jim for this lovely place to stay.
Jo Conard & Joyce Richardson (Jo's Sister-In-Law).

Room Tip: We liked the Carriage House because it was as if we had our very own little cottage in the garden.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Marietta
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I can't overstate this: we adore the Galloway House! If I could live there, I would. About 4 years ago, I went for the first time with some girlfriends and stayed in the carriage house (so pretty and cozy). I loved it so much that my husband and I went to Savannah for our Honeymoon and stayed on the 3rd floor. We just recently got back from another trip, and we loved it just as much the third time around!

The place is a big beautiful plantation-style home with a wide, gorgeous porch on the front. For a couple like ourselves, the carriage house apartments or the 3rd floor in the main house are perfect for a getaway. First floor was perfect for family of ours that came into town with us. The whole place is tastefully decorated (but not obnoxiously so - they've taken care to let the original details of the home stand out) and this place feels more like a home away from home every time we go!

We always appreciate how clean and fresh everything is when we arrive. The bed is always big and comfortable with fresh crisp linens, and the bathroom was spotless with big fluffy towels to wrap up in after a shower. We love the little touches they add - fresh flowers, historic pictures, a great selection of Savannah travel books in addition to a binder full of useful information on the area. We also love the breakfast provided in our kitchen - fresh bagels, muffins, cream cheese, orange juice, and plenty of bottled water (plus a bottle of wine chilled and ready for our arrival!). The 3rd floor apartment is bright, cozy, and absolutely dreamy. I spent a few mornings sitting in the big beautiful window seat overlooking Savannah with a cup of coffee and a good book.

Jim and Keith have never steered us wrong on restaurant recommendations - definitely try Foxy Loxy if you stay at the Galloway House: it's less than a block away, and is not to be missed with plenty of great locally sourced ingredients in imaginative dishes, and fun local brews! Jim and Keith also steered us toward Vic's On The River when we stayed at Galloway House on our honeymoon, and it's one of our favorite restaurants to this day.

If you're looking for a place in Savannah, look no further. It's a fraction of the price of other 'historic' B&B's, with a much more laid back feel. It's just a minute or two from the downtown area, so it's close enough to get to the fun places downtown off Broughton and Bay streets, as well as the fun spots down on River street. It's far enough away, though, that you can really enjoy the quiet more laid-back aspects of Savannah. It's also dog friendly! We have never brought our pooch before, but it would be the perfect spot to bring a well-behaved dog. Jim and Keith also have two big beautiful (and super-friendly) Great Danes that add a lot of charm to the Galloway House.

Room Tip: 3rd floor in the main house is the perfect spot for a romantic getaway! It is a bit of a walk up the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Lower Heyford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

By far the best B&B I have ever stayed in. On arrival, we received a warm welcome and all the information we would need for our two days in Savannah (thank you, Jim). We followed up on as many of the suggestions as we could fit in, and enjoyed each of them.

The accommodation itself is superior (in my opinion) because you are in your own space. Not only do you get two bedrooms (1x king and 1x queen), but this is an entire apartment to yourself, which for two friends travelling together was plenty space. Kitchen is well stocked; Jim and Keith had also laid out delicious muffins and bagels for breakfast. Beds incredibly comfortable. Only small issue I would raise is the rooms are rather light at night, as the outside lights remain on, and the blinds don't completely block out the light; but if you are not a light sleeper, this shouldn't worry you.

The house is also within walking distance of the historic squares (if you don't mind a 15-20 minute walk). It is only a couple of blocks from Forsyth Park. There restaurants close by (Elizabeths n 37th; Betty Bombers; Butterhead Greens Cafe)...and I am sure there are others, these are the ones we walked past/to.

The addition of the flag on the balcony was a lovely touch. All in all I wholeheartedly recommend Galloway House to anyone visiting Savannah, and the surrounds.

Room Tip: Depending n the size of your party, there is the 2 bed apartment, which we stayed in...otherwise the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Loved my 3 night stay in the third floor apartment of The Galloway House in September, 2013. The purpose of my trip to Savannah was to get my son settled at SCAD for graduate school. We had a lot to do getting his apartment ready, so it was WONDERFUL to come 'home' at night to these wonderful accommodations. Everything I could have wanted was at hand in the apartment. Should I return for a visit.....I already know where I'll be staying!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My friend and I stayed here in June, 2013 for a long weekend. The house has been beautifully restored and furnished. We stayed on the first floor which had two bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen and dining space and a living room with a fireplace. Our hosts were so gracious and the fridge was stocked with water and juice and we had a lovely continental breakfast each morning to start our day. The house is not real close to the downtown area attractions, but we did not mind. We just parked downtown as the meters are free on the weekends. I would highly recommend and I think they are pet friendly as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I were traveling around the USA and decided to head to Savannah. After doing some research on the Internet we decided to try a B&B for the first time.

Our stay at Galloway house cold not have been a better introduction to B&B, with Keith and Jim being great hosts.

Loved the house, loved all the little things they thought of and most of all love the dogs!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple