“Amazing House, Awful Tour Guide”
Review of Owens-Thomas House

History and Architecture of Savannah
Ranked #12 of 218 things to do in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Owens-Thomas House is considered by architectural historians to be one of the finest examples of English Regency architecture in America. Inspired by classical antiquity, this style of architecture takes its name from England’s King George IV, who ruled as Prince Regent from 1811 to 1820.The house was designed by the young English architect William Jay, one of the first professionally-trained architects practicing in the United States. The elegant residence was built from 1816 to 1819 for cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his wife Francis Bolton. Mr. Richardson’s brother-in-law was married to Ann Jay, the architect’s sister. Three years after the house’s completion, Richardson suffered financial losses and sold his house, which later came under possession of the Bank of the United States.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing House, Awful Tour Guide”
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This house is definitely worth seeing, with its ahead of its time plumbing system and bridge over the staircase. But our tour guide was awful. He didn't talk much at all and just kept asking us if we had any questions. When I did ask one, he answered with a good depth of knowledge, but that just made you wonder why, if he had that kind of knowledge, why he didn't talk more to begin with. This house was a little more expensive than some of the others, and the house was way more impressive, but the shy or lazy tour guide made it much less interesting than the other houses we went too.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Amanda H

Tampa, Florida
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Owens House Tour”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Good example of an early 1800's home in Savannah. You get to see the slaves quarters, the kitchen, their cistern system and then visit the upstairs to see all the bedrooms and entertainment areas.

N CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Educational and very interesting”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

It's a bit pricy @ $15 per person, but with a pass to two other places @$20, it made it better.

Depending on how you time your visit, we ended up with a private tour of the house (with a docent). The group before us was 14+ people. It was amazing how much money "rich" people wasted building these homes!

Carrollton, Georgia, USA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Cool house - uncool guide”
Reviewed 16 June 2012 via mobile

The house & grounds were great but the guide was not very knowledgeable about anything - she even forgot some of the stuff she was supposed to remember. It would have been better to have no guide at all. They should invest in a pre-recorded audio tour like the Biltmore House in NC.

Soperton, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Who was that security guard”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The house was simply amazing. The carpentry is out of this world impressive for those times. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and courteous, the security guard that followed us around for some unknown reason, not so much. While touring, there were two rooms side by side with door openings. He stood in front of the door on one of the rooms. The guide asked us to all look and when we got ready, head to the adjacent room. I looked in the first room and since I was first in line, attempted to look in the other room that the security guard...or whatever he was, was standing in front of the door opening. I said, " excuse me do you mind if I see?" He stood there and said, "yes I do." You need to go on to the next room. Thinking that was pretty rude, I told him "sorry, I thought I had payed to look!" He returned again, "no you didn't, now go on to the next room." I began to assume maybe I was just being sensitive but it shocked me when not 2 minutes later, we were all standing inside the room he just refused to let me look inside of. Now can someone please tell me why he felt the need to be so rude when we were about to head into that room anyways? Anyway, other than him, the place was great. He needs to be F-I-R-E-D and replaced with someone who isn't on a power trip