This is my first negative experience ever with Westin. As an SPG member I have been a loyal customer for years and usually opt for Westin whenever one is available as I travel. Sadly this property simply does not measure up.
It began with reception where the staff was efficient, but exuded none of the warmth or charm usually associated with lodgings in Georgia, especially Savannah. When asked about a AAA special advertised on the website regarding food and beverage discount, she indicated she knew nothing about it but "just ask the waiter" and turned away. Of course any such discount is not in the purview of waiters.
It went downhill from there. The rooms, except for the well advertised bedding, were a notch below any I have stayed in. The bathroom had no fan or vent so even cleaning odors remained. There was nowhere for toiletries and we had to use the limited space on the dresser next to the TV for everything from toothbrushes to cosmetics. There were no shelves, drawers or cabinets in the bath even tho there was plenty of space to accommodate all. There was a phone jack, but no phone. There were no racks to hang wet towels except one covering the toilet paper roll.
The mini bar was empty. When I called Express service to inquire I was advised that I could order from room service for delivery. The room service menu listed a fifth of Smirnoff vodka at $95, an item that can be purchased in any liquor store in the state for less than $20! A better bargain than Grey Goose at $140, but still. I realize room service and liquor is a profit center for a hotel, but c'mon!!
The property is well located next to the Convention Center and just a ferry ride across the river from the historic Waterfront. The grounds are pleasant enough and the pool area was nice, but the Spa is a shuttle ride to the Golf Club which is not very conducive to a relaxing experience. This is dubbed as a "resort" property, but it did not feel like it...except when you checked out and were hit with a $23 a day "resort fee" even if you used none of the resort related activities.
Unlike my other experiences at either a Westin or a Westin resort, this felt much more like a low end cookie cutter convention hotel shuttling people in and out with little concern for customer service. The only instance of outstanding customer service came from Alina K. in the Aqua restaurant. Alina was genuinely concerned about a problem we encountered and was proactive in addressing it.
If we return to Savannah for business or pleasure, we'll opt for another hotel as there are many fine establishments. I would recommend Westin management take a closer look at their competition or at their other properties and step up to the plate. An experience like this damages the brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southern charm meets modern luxury at the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, in the heart of the historic Savannah River District. Savannah's premier resort is the prime location; not far from fantastic shopping and nightlife, but removed just enough for tranquility. Enjoy complimentary water ferry service to River Street, renovated guest rooms, meeting rooms and public spaces. The Resort is adjacent to International Trade and Convention Center, 20 min from the airport, 90-second ferry ride to River Street. Be well. Be Westin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort And Spa
- Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Hotel Savannah
- Westin Savannah Harbor Hotel
- Westin Savannah Harbor Resort
- Savannah Westin