“Luxury in Downtown Savannah”

Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Luxury in Downtown Savannah”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Westin in Savannah is one of the best hotels in Savannah. I should know; I grew up there. It is probably the largest hotel in Savannah, and it is very luxurious. Unlike every other hotel in the downtown area, the Westin has a vast courtyard and pool area. The Westin is actually located in South Carolina (on the North side of the river). All of the other hotels are located in Savannah (on the South Side of the river). The best things about the Westin’s location are the following:
1. Lots of Room: Since the Westin is located across from River Street and not on River Street, there is not much development. That means that when the Westin was built, they had a vast amount of land to work with. Therefore, unlike other hotels in the area, the space is not cramped.
2. Great Views: Since the hotel is located on the South Carolina side of the river, you have an extensive view of downtown Savannah.
3. Peace and Quiet: The Westin is not a “party” hotel. The party occurs on River Street, so even if you are out on a Saturday night, you will not have partygoers hanging out around your hotel. If you want to partake in the festivities, there is a free ferry that will take you to River Street and back to the hotel. There are two downsides to this, though. The last ferry runs before midnight, so you need to grab a taxi if you stay out late. Also, the ferry comes every 20 minutes. This is fine if the weather is nice. Otherwise, it feels like forever.

I would certainly stay at this Westin again. As with all Westin hotels, the rooms and beds are very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the river view. It is worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
WestinDave, Public Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted that we were able to provide a positive and memorable experience. Our location on the seven mile long Hutchinson Island is actually in the middle of the Savannah River and still part of Savannah's Historic River District. This allow us those great views of Savannah and of neighboring South Carolina. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.

Public Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
Groveland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This was my second stay at this Westin.The first was 11 years ago. A lot has changed on the Savannah waterfront in that time. This hotel is across the river from the action but I do like the ease of getting to the Westin and the plentiful parking. The free water ferry that takes you across the river in 5 minutes runs very regularly during the day and night. This hotel is up to all of the Westin standards. The views are incredible whether you are looking across the river at Savannah or if you are facing out back looking at the beautiful golf course and the So. Carolina low country. I would not hesitate to stay here again. I realize the new Hyatt and Marriott are right on River Street, but I like what like. I did not play golf this time, but I have enjoyed the very fun and challenging track. The staff is always friendly and helpful and embrace the concept of Southern hospitality. I say give this one a chance.

Room Tip: They are all good, but you will pay more for the river view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DT705
Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted that we were able to provide a Five Star experience. The ferry is certainly one of my favorite features and an excellent way to arrive downtown. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed here during a Convention Center event, and couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. Great beds, Starbucks coffee in rooms. Will DEFINITELY stay here next time.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted that we were able to provide a Five Star experience and that your overall experience was positive. I am also happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the Heavenly Beds, and holiday decorations. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.

Largo, Florida
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our entire family enjoyed the week at the Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. The festival of light activities are a great event for the entire family. The variety of Christmas displays are enjoyable and of course the close encounters with the animals are a great experience for young and old. Feeding the Camels, goats, pigs, kangaroos is truly a once in a lifetime experience for our grandchildren.
The Westin Hotel staff was extremely friendly and accommodating and the Ginger bread house display in the lobby is simply amazing. The Golf course is in fantastic condition and the staff made our experience superb. We will definitely return in the future.

Room Tip: The river view rooms provide a great view of savannah and the boat traffic.
Green Features: The green choice option is great and provides a five dollar gift certificate for hotel food and beverages.
1 Thank Dieter S
Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted that we were able to provide a Five Star experience and that your overall experience was positive. I am also happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the Festival of Lights and Gingerbread Village. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We ended up at the Westin Savannah Harbor when trying to stay in the Historic District.
It's on the other side of the river but only a couple of minutes ferry ride (free) to the hustle and crowds of the Historic Area riverfront. This hotel is a resort quality hotel with the amenities you would expect. The doormen, front desk and Concierge folks were all very accommodating.

Our plans were pretty much last minute and weather played a big factor in our destination. We walked the area near the Hotel and Golf course in the mornings and felt safe and secure. The pool area is beautiful and given the temperature range of 40 at night to 60 during the day, the heated pool did not tempt us to try it. Only kids and a few brave folks were in the pool. We caught the Christmas Boat Parade on Saturday night and it was lovely. The constant large ships pass by and the sound of the horns and flavor to the waterway.

The breakfast buffet is a great place to start the day but it isn't cheap. We did not eat any other meals in the hotel because of other plans. I've stayed in the Historic District in the past but this was a pleasant and worthwhile change. As a Starwood member, we got upgraded to the river side on the 9th floor and we had a great view of the city.

Room Tip: A Starwoods membership may earn you an upgrade. If you have to pay more to be on the river side, pay...
Green Features: Very normal by today's standards, linens, HVAC, friendly light bulbs. Room has plenty if easy access plush for all of the devices we carry today. WiFi was and easy connect.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Herm B
Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am delighted that we were able to provide a Five Star experience and that your overall experience was positive. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stop in at the Westin on our pilgrimage back from PA to Florida at Thanksgiving. We always meet friends to watch the boat parade and fireworks. Hotel is animal friendly and if you stay on the top 2 floors with a balcony and river view you can watch the boats and fireworks. Our friends had been there for 6 days and had complained to us about the standard of the restaurant as it was not what it used to be. We ended up ordering room service which was really disappointing, the hotel comped it for us. Professional hotel, nice grounds great views and remember to stop in to see Miguel in the bar for a cocktail. We will be back next year, hopefully the restaurant will have improved by then.

Room Tip: Definitely 15 or 16 floor with riverview and balcony. Fab views of Savannah from the other side of t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff D
Dear Jeff,

Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I apologize that we were unable to meet your in-room dining expectation and will use your feedback to improve. I am encouraged that your overall experience was positive. We hope to welcome you back and restore your faith in our property.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I'm a pretty busy guy so when I get the chance to play a little golf I do. This one day I decided to try to get a round in at Savannah Harbor. It just so happen that my daughter had a little cold and had to stay home for the day. I went to the course anyway just to let the guys know that I couldn't play and take the little one back home. While at the bar waiting this wonderful bartender offered my daughter a hot chocolate, she than asked if we were going to play golf. I told her why we couldn't and she offered to watch her while I played. My daughter didn't want to leave so I took her up on it. I played 9 holes came back and my daughter was having a blast. She had everything she need arts and crafts which she loves and paper and crayons so she could draw pictures. This was the best treatment I have ever received at any golf course and urge everyone to go there. I will definitely be back...Thank you Mrs.Carol for make me and my daughter feel at home.

1 Thank sidlance83
WestinDave, Public Relations Manager at Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear Sid,

Thank you for sharing your review and for choosing The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. I am overjoyed that you were able to get a round in at The Club. Carol is definitely an asset to our team and will be happy to hear that her efforts are appreciated. We hope to welcome you back upon your return to Savannah.