“Poor business etiquette”

Bonaventure Cemetery After Hours Tour
Ranked #9 of 143 Tours in Savannah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tour the South's most illustrious, Victorian Cemetery with 29 year, resident storyteller, Shannon Scott or one of his other premium story hosts! Bonaventure is home to poets, songwriters, actors, artists, industrialists, duelists, Confederates, and every life story under one sunny cemetery! Fans of Secret Societies like The Freemasons won't be disappointed either as Bonaventure is imprinted everywhere with their emblems! See Little Gracie, Johnny Mercer, Conrad Aiken, Noble Jones and more! Fans of "Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil?" Get close to the characters! Talk about a personal & impacting day out! Inquire about Historic District Hotel Transportation!
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Poor business etiquette”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

While I hate to write an unflattering review of any business, I feel obligated to share my Shannon Scott "Dinner and a Cemetery" experience in the hopes of helping other tourists.

In short, there was no experience. His website stated a tour was scheduled Saturday, July 14th from 6-8 (dinner after) and listed two numbers to call for tickets. I called the second number (described as Mr. Scott's personal cell number) at 10:46 a.m. Saturday morning and left a voicemail with my information as instructed. At 1:58 p.m. I called the 1-877-BONA number (which apparently fowards to Mr. Scott's personal cell) and left a second voicemail.

Mr. Scott did not return either of my phone calls.

Wondering if I had misunderstood the instructions for purchasing tickets, I decided to simply show up at the cemetery at 6:00. I arrived to find a caretaker locking the gate and two other women waiting for Mr. Scott's tour. They explained that Mr. Scott had confirmed the tour's time and location with them via email and that they had already paid for their tickets with a credit card. However, the caretaker had informed them that he had spoken with Mr. Scott the previous evening (Friday, July 13), and Mr. Scott had stated that he would not be conducting a tour on Saturday.

Unfortunately, Mr. Scott apparently did not consider it necessary to inform his customers with reservations that he had decided to cancel the Saturday tour, nor did he update his website. At the very least, he could have updated his outgoing voicemail message. My daughter and I passed up other sightseeing opportunities because we were waiting on him. This lack of communication on Mr. Scott's part evidences a lack of common courtesy and poor business skills. Of course, perhaps when you are a "legendary storyteller," you don't need either of those! ;)

5 Thank JulieannL
SScottTours, Owner at Bonaventure Cemetery Journeys w/ Shannon Scott, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
I always attempt to take in a person's state of mind when they submit a review and with all due respect, this appears to be someone disappointed that they were not able to experience something that they had their heart set on for themselves or someone else. And for that, I wholly understand, empathize and in that sense, am flattered by the person's reaching out. I do take heart with the person's claim about calling me and not getting a response, even though spoke to many people that day. As I am a single entity, and a private tour guide making what I do, the highest in personalism, I answer all calls, take all reservations and do all of the tours. That is the public's way of knowing they never have to deal with a middleman. Is that a perfect process? No. And as the event in question is the only possible way to tour Bonaventure Cemetery after it closes to the public, I am often every overwhelmed by calls on the day of. Now and again, a call or message gets lost in the shuffle or sometimes there's human mishap in the demands of putting this event on and someone valuable gets neglected. If this was the case, we sincerely regret it and hope to one day make it up to them and invite them to call back for a more even keeled discussion. However, so that the public knows, all websites and printed material related to the After Hours or Dinner And A Cemetery events are emblazoned with Reservations Are Required or Reservations Are Necessary, and to get proper instructions about the event protocols for yourself, you have to have one. Because of this After Hour's privilege at Bonaventure Cemetery, we have strict rules the City of Savannah requires us to adhere to, including some regarding the reservation processes. Please do not just show up. Bonaventure Cemetery closes at 5pm and anyone on site afterwards is purely maintenance or security and is not an official connected to this event in any way. Thank you.

Lakeland, Florida
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Awesome.”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I was so relaxing, peaceful, and learned a lot. The next time I am in Savannah, I would love to do it again!!! You should go and check it out!!!

Visited March 2012
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Educational, Informative, Well Worth the $”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Recently I had the pleasure of taking a tour of Bonaventure Cemetery with Shannon Scott. When I planned my trip to Savannah, a tour of Bonaventure was number one on my list of things to do. I was certainly not disappointed...in fact I was inspired to do further reading and make a few visits on my own. Thanks Shannon. Your wealth of information, engaging presentation of historical information as well as stories about some of the 'residents' made Bonaventure 'come alive' for me. I was happy that I took part in the dinner portion of the evening at Soul Sisters of the New South. The dinner was truly delicious and the servers were terrific. I was happy to hear more of your talk and really enjoyed the Q&A session....your knowledge is very impressive. I will definitely do this again when I return to Savannah. Thank you once again.

1 Thank S F
Savannah, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dinner and a Cemetary”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Being a born and raised Savannahian, you think you know all the stories of your great city. Bonaventure has always been a place of beauty and peace for myself. Many a walk on a Sunday afternoon just to enjoy the serenity was a treat. Last night I enjoyed the walk despite the hot and humid weather. We had the most knowledgable host and guide and the cemetary was even prettier as the sun was setting. We laughed, learned things I didn't know about my home, and ate a wonderful southern meal. What a fantastic way to enjoy a Saturday with friends and family. I would highly recommend this tour for anyone, be you a guest to our city or a local. Let Shannon be your guide!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Dolores B
Atlanta, Ga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“"Fantastic Cemetery Tour !"”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My wife and I won tickets for "Dinner and a Cemetery", and I'm sure glad we did. The walking tour is a great way to spend an evening with a spouse or family. The cemetery is beautiful, and getting to see it after hours is even more special. Shannon Scott is a wonderful tour guide and extremely knowledgeable about the cemetery. Dinner at "Sister's of the New South" followed, and we were not disappointed there either. The food, drinks, and dessert were all delicious. I would highly recommend this experience. Well worth the $$, and probably the best tour you'll have while visiting Savannah.

2 Thank gbiguy