“Nice Hotel But...”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #40 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Nice Hotel But...”
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

I am a Marriott Rewards member and consistently stay at a Courtyard or Springhill Suites. The only reason I said but is because of an issue we had with the cleaning staff. We put a Do Not Disturb sign on our door and left in the morning for downtown. We came back in the early afternoon to find that someone was in our room. The problem is twofold:
1. Do not disturb means stay out! No excuse for that!
2. My wife left her purse and wallet in the room because we expected that NO ONE would enter the room!
Because of the way the purse was moved, we promptly canceled the cards in her wallet!
Nice way to spend time on vacation.
Again, I like Marriott hotels and will continue to use them but will have a hard time returning to this one in Savannah!
Front desk apologized and gave us free breakfast coupons (which by the way is the first time I've had to pay for breakfast at Marriott!)
Definitely a major minor issue in my book!

• Stayed May 2013
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for your time and response.
I want to apologize for our staff not honoring your Do Not Disturb. They should not have entered your room. I am not sure of why there was confusion over this but it should not have happened and I definitely would not want to spend time on my vacation on the phone cancelling cards.
I will follow up with our housekeeping staff and ensure we do some training for the future. I will also sit down with that specific room attendant.

Thank you again for your time.

If you have any concerns please contact me,

912-790-8287

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I stayed here for one night because I was seeing a concert at the Civic Center across the street. In that respect it was perfect because I could walk to the venue. The hotel was very clean, and the room, while plain, didn't look old or dated and was spotless.

The staff were very helpful. The girl at the concierge desk gave us a good suggestion for dinner, and the wonderful young lady who checked me in could not have been friendlier. When I came downstairs the next morning to check out she enthusiastically greeted me BY NAME and asked me how my stay was. The valets were also very nice. I really liked how friendly everyone was.

The location is also great. It was literally RIGHT across the street from the Visitor's Center and the first stop on the Old Time Trolley Tours (or whatever it's called). We walked across the street, bought tickets, and hopped on and took the entire tour around Savannah. Truly could not have been easier.

We ate dinner at The Distillery across the street. Again, very convenient as it is within walking distance and the food was great. There's also a place called Crystal Beer Parlor within walking distance to the hotel. We tried to eat there but it was jammed, so we skipped it.

I had breakfast in the dining room of the hotel the next day. They have a nice buffet which is about 10 bucks, although I only had cereal and yogurt so they charged me a lesser amount for a "continental breakfast," which I appreciated. Again, friendly wait staff and a very nice, comfortable dining area.

Two reasons why I gave it four stars: I found it annoying that the only elevator is also a service elevator. I also felt that it was just a touch too expensive for what you were getting, although this is Savannah and a tourist hotspot so I suppose it makes sense.

All in all, a great stay. Next time in Savannah I might stay in a B&B or something with a little more charm instead of a chain hotel, but this was all in all a good choice, especially if you're doing anything related to the Civic Center across the street. Good location, clean room, friendly staff! Thanks, Courtyard!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank EmLovesCW
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your response and for taking the time to give such wonderful feedback.
It is greatly appreciated.
I did want to comment on the elevator. We have a total of 3 elevators here at the hotel. It sounds as though we did not do a good job of communicating that to you. There is one elevator used as a service elevator and guest elevator but there are two others specifically for our guests. I am sorry this wasn't communicated and I am sorry that it affected your stay. I will make sure that we discuss this in our meeting and remind our associates to give directions to both sets of elevators.

We hope to see you again soon!

912-790-8287
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The hotel is situated across From the Visitors Center and close to scenic bus tours. We like to walk so the few blocks walk to the scenic district and City Walk was pleasurable along the brick sidewalks. The hotel staff were helpful. The room is small but sufficient in all the amenities. Tastefully and newly decorated. This hotel has everything you need when you come to visit Savannah.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Even though it's on the perimeter of the historic district, everything you would want to see in Savannah is within a walk. The visitor center/museum and tour bus terminal is right across the road and the staff are friendly and helpful with an in-house tour booking service. Valet parking only with a $15/day surcharge. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with vanilla chain-hotel decor. One minor niggle with the plumbing was fixed promptly and efficiently. There are a wide choice of nice places to eat within a short walk. Breakfast is an extra cost option and from what we saw, isn't worth it. Take a walk, work up an appetite and enjoy a real breakfast at Clarys on Abercorn Street. .

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tedstravelblogs
DerrickGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review for our property! Thank you also for the kind words about our staff and we hope to see you again soon.
Orlando
Reviewed 1 May 2013

This hotel was really nice especially being a Courtyard. It was clean and conveniently located close to the historic district. The only thing I would advise if that you cannot walk stairs request to stay in the hotel and not the cottages. There was no elevator and my sister had problems walking up stairs. I ended up have to carry all our bags up and down! The staff was nice and welcoming. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Eagan
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The location of the hotel is good. It was easy to find and access from SAV airport. It is a 10 minute walk from the Courtyard to Wright Square and about a 15 minute walk to City Market /Ellis Square. There are also 2 DOT Shuttle stops within a half block of the hotel.
The Hotel lobby renovation has been completed and it is very nice. Coffee and ice water were available throughout the day for guests. Another reviewer had stated that there was only one elevator. There are 2 more that perhaps they did not see as they are on the ends of the hallways. The room itself was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The bathroom floor was probably the only thing that looked like it still needed to be updated (a few cracked tiles ) The bathroom did have a shower head placed high enough for taller people and good water pressure. There was no in -room refridgerator.
While there were no vending machines, there is an area near the front desk where snacks etc. could be purchased.
The patio and pool area are nicely landscaped. In Savannah, making a get away from a slow/nonexistent spring, it was a great place to read and relax. The pool is probably 20 feet x 10 feet with a maximum depth of 4 feet. The kids seemed to enjoy it but the adults who took a dip did not seem to linger in the water that most agreed was cold. The pool area has about 8 chaise lounge chairs and two round tables with 4 chairs each. While that's not a lot, guests seem to keep rotating through the area. I never saw anyone not find a place to sit who was looking for one.
The breakfast buffet was standard fare : yougurt, waffles, eggs, bacon etc. I do have to applaud the breakfast seating area. It was nice with plenty of tables and chairs. No stress trying to find a place to eat.
What really sets this hotel apart,though, is the staff. They were all very friendly and accomodating. The Vallet team was outstanding. We appreciated that we were allowed to park our car in the ramp even though we arrived a few hours before we were able to check in.
Nearby, there is a CVS Pharmacy on the Corner of Wright Square . We also would recommend meals at The Distillery (accross the street), Goose Feathers Cafe and Bakery (near Ellis Squre) and a tour with Savannah Belle Walking Tours. Oh, and if you have a sweet tooth, check out Savannah Candy Kitchen at City Market for wonderful pralines and salt water taffy made on site.
We would absolutely stay here again !

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary K
Thank you for your review! Yes, the lobby renovation has been completed! It is beautiful and very unique. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and the patio area is one of my favorite places at our hotel. Right now everything is in bloom and the aroma of beautiful blooming flowers emanates from the courtyard.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope to see you again soon.

South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed over the St. Patrick's day weekend, pretty close to everything. Amazing, friendly people make this place one you want to come back to. Rooms were comfortable, coffee in the lobby every morning and someone with a smile wanting to help was very nice. Sit by the lobby bar or by the fireplace after walking miles around town.... definitely enjoyed it

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family