“5 star staff - 3.5 to 4 hotel - fairly typical Courtyard”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #44 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
South Portland, Maine
“5 star staff - 3.5 to 4 hotel - fairly typical Courtyard”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stay at many Courtyards and this one is typical of a Courtyard but disappoints in lack of the "Bistro" and the sub par bathroom tub area. Instead of the Bistro there is a bar area and a separate buffet area for breakfast. It appears they cater to many tour groups so perhaps this is why there is a larger but "Fairfield Inn" type buffet set-up with the oatmeal, waffle maker, yogurt, fruit etc. I personally find the "Bistro" offering found in many Courtyards much more appealing. Also, it appears this is a renovation of another hotel and for some reason Marriott does a great job on the lobby area and the bedroom area of your room but I've found many times the tub/toilet area are not great and that was true of this hotel. The staff is the highlight here and is a-one across the board in friendliness and helpfulness. I liked the location much better than the riverfront area with easy walking access to the historic distance/riverfront and highways in and out of Savannah. Overall a decent stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rhonda A
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Rhonda A,

Thank you for the positive remarks regarding our staff. They are the heart and soul of our property and I'm glad you felt well taken care of. I appreciate your feedback on our non-Bistro restaurant--it is certainly a program that Courtyard is recognized for. We are trying to provide a relaxed, casual environment and I hope you found that to be true nonetheless.

Please come back and visit us again in Savannah! We'd love to have you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Portage, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our first time in Savannah. We arrived at the hotel, our room was ready for us on the 5th floor with a beautiful view. The staff at the front desk, the concierge and the valet were so wonderful. It was definitely first class service. The location of the hotel was perfect as it was across the street from the Visitor Center (which was a huge help in getting us familiar with the city). We would definitely go back. Thanks for making our trip to Savannah the best.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the bridge was the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear AngieA,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Savannah Courtyard Historic District! We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the service we provided. We'd love to have you come back and visit us again soon! You'll always have a place with us.

Take care!
Auburn, WA, USA
Reviewed 4 May 2014

At check-in I asked Jackie the concierge about timing of my leaving for the airport at the end of my stay. I took her recommendation and booked a 3rd night here. I was very grateful for her advice and effort in booking the extra night. Unfortunately, Housekeeping completely skipped my room on the third day. I've never had that happen anywhere before.

On the positive side the front desk got me a cab to the airport that arrived at the requested time, 4:30 a.m. I was slightly skeptical if the cab would arrive on time but there was no problem. When I checked out no one at the hotel asked me whether my stay was satisfactory, so I didn't bring up the lack of Housekeeping on my 3rd day. I'm not high maintenance and a little more attention to me as the customer would have gotten the hotel a high rating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank keylanna
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear keylanna,

You're absolutely right about making the customer, in particular, YOU feel special because that's our responsibility to all of our guests. I'm deeply apologetic my overnight staff did not inquire and ensure a great stay. We would have been delighted to service your room, and I'm not quite sure why we didn't. Though, it gives me something to research and correct.

Please come back and visit us again. I'd love to have you stay with us.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This Marriott was small and quaint but very nice. Even though we were near the elevators, not a lot of noise, and couldn't hear anything going on in the Hallway. Beds as always were comfy. Staff was very nice. The only negative was checkout. Don't think I am too silly for saying the checkout was too speedy, but it was so speedy the girl did not make eye contact with me once!! Well, if that's the worse than that is saying a lot ;)
Stayed during St. Patty's weekend, was able to walk to everything, had a wonderful time. Note: You do have to pay $15 to valet for 24 hours or pay for parking in the parking garage next door. Also, not continental breakfast. Oh the problems of first world travellers!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear ojess,

Thank you for the comments regarding your stay. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the staff. We try to be efficient, however, it can't come without personality, so thank you for mentioning that point. We would love to see you again during your next trip to Savannah!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Kudos to the staff for making my stay enjoyable and comfortable. I've traveled through Savannah several times and always had a great experience. The remarkable point about this property are the people. From the valet to the front desk to the housekeepers, restaurant servers and bartenders, all of them were kind and personable.

The location is great for getting around the city. We walked each night to a different restaurant. The weather for Savannah in April is very nice. River St is about a 30 minute leisurely walk and we walked it late into the overnight hours, never feeling unsafe.

The hotel is at the corner of a busy intersection, but my room on the fourth floor was free of urban noise pollution.

I will definitely consider this hotel for my next stay.

Room Tip: An even number room with a balcony is nice. I enjoyed the balcony for the fresh air. The view from...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear dpreeves,
Thank you for the great feedback regarding your stay at the Savannah Courtyard Historic District! Our people are our best asset, and we're thrilled you recognize the service they provide. We are so proud of them all. They take their service responsibility very seriously. We hope you'll continue to choose us as your "home away from home" during your next Savannah trip!
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here one night on our way from Kissimmee to Washington. Staff were super friendly and rooms lovely. Nicely located to visit the town attractions. Sofa bed for our son was high quality and comfortable

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Sundreamer NZ,

Thank you for choosing the Savannah Courtyard Historic District on your way back home. We're thrilled we were part of your vacation. I'm glad you enjoyed our accommodations and the service our staff provided--they really are top notch. We hope to see you again in the future on your next trip south!
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Company business meeting for a couple of days in the heart of Historic Savannah,Ga. greetings as you arrive from the valet and the front desk desk staff. Very helpful on check-in and assisting with luggage and parking. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. All the staff is very helpful including housekeeping. Meeting room was very nice. Restaurant was open for a buffet breakfast that was really over the top. Afternoon social hour was very nice touch. Overall , avery good experience.Also, the hotel is within walking distance of downtown and all the great restaurants and cafes available.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear William G,
Thank you for posting your experience on TripAdvisor. We're so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and it sounds like it was very productive for you as well. There's no better place to have a meeting than with us! We love our staff, and thrilled you do as well.