“Good alternative if going to convention center”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #42 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Durham, North Carolina
“Good alternative if going to convention center”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I spent 6 nights here in a King Suite while participating at a conference at the convention center. This hotel was located just off the bridge and about a 5 min drive to the convention center. The price was very reasonable (particularly when compared to the price of the hotel next to the convention center) and I would consider it to be a good alternative if you are here for a conference.

Few comments
1) The hotel is located on the far edge of the historic district. The area on the other side of the road (MLK Blvd) is sketchy. I saw several homeless people and was approached by a few. I would not recommend walking around the hotel after dark.
2) The hotel is about 1 1/2 miles from the restaurants and life of Savannah. You can walk to the restaurants and the river front...but due to comment #1 I chose to drive and find a parking spot (BTW...street parking is free after 5 pm).
3) The hotel is valet parking only. The cost is $15 per day (+ tip). I found the valets to be helpful and friendly but the process was slow. In the morning rush it took about 20 minutes to get my car. After the first day's delay, I called after I got out of the shower, so by the time I was downstairs my car was waiting. In the evening return, there was cars stacked up on the drop off lane, so you had to wait in order to pull in. A couple of times I needed to just run up to my room, the valet's allowed me to leave my car in the drive in lane so I could run upstairs.
4) I stayed in a King Suite. The room was HUGE and had a large living room with small refrigerator, counter top, sink and a large separate bedroom. My family came to visit during the stay. The pull out sofa can comfortably sleep 2 children. The hotel gave me a roll-away (regular size twin bed) and it fit comfortably beside the pull out (my 6 ft teenage son, said it was fine). The room could easily sleep 5 (my family) and you could fit 6 if someone was in a crib or on the floor.
5) The pool is SMALL and in the middle of a nice courtyard. I had a balcony overlooking the area and it was nice for my and husband to sit on it and watch the kids playing below.
6) Breakfast buffet is not included in the price, but kids eat free. There weren't a lot of choices - pretty much like the standard hotel "free breakfast". There was a waffle machine, bacon, scrambled eggs so my sons were happy.
7) The hotel staff were pleasant and responsive. I had a couple of problems with my room during my stay (living room AC stopped working, phone stopped working). The repairs were handled promptly and professionally.

Room Tip: I would select a courtyard room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear HeatherBE2889LR,

Thank you so much for staying with us the week of your conference. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and were able to visit the city while attending the conference.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our valet services and maintenance issues. We strive to respond timely if we are unable to proactively address any issues our guests may have. I appreciate your patience with us as we work to be great.

We hope to see you again either for next year's convention or another family getaway.

Erin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just had a small professional meeting here and it was a pleasing experience for both meeting room and lodging room. Yes, this location is a slight walk to the historic district and major tourist locations. However, it is close for many SCAD buildings, Civic Center, City Market and Transportation Museum. It is a excellent replacement for those of us who used to stay at the Sheraton before it rebadged to HI. The Courtyard design is well done and a nice alternative to the other tourist style hotels downtown. It was clean, well decorated, and had a very attentative staff. Parking choices are valet, adjacent public garage, or Civic Center lot at 30 cents per hour. The pull in area for hotel registration, unloading and loading is nice and convenient. Of course there is a Bellman anxious to help you. I will definitely use this hotel again; perhaps it can be nice for you also !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear William S,

I'm thrilled you had a great experience with us while visiting the Savannah Historic District. It sounds like you've found your new favorite place to stay now is with us, and we can't be more pleased. Our team has celebrated your comments as we strive every day, every guest, every time to make a positive impact.

We can't wait to see you again the next time you're in the city.

Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 4 years ago and returned after The Masters in Augusta. Very convenient for I95 on off and good valet parking. Was parked inside hotel this time and not in public garage across the street so it felt more secure. We were two couples and both had nice rooms with no issues. Would stay here again

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Golferboy18
Dear Golferboy18,

We're thrilled you chose to stay with us while visiting The Masters. We strive every day to make a positive impact on our guests and I'm happy to hear we succeeded with you and your friends.

Please don't wait until next year to visit with us. In the meantime, take care of yourself for us.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Courtyard Savannah Historic District is located a few blocks inland from the river, so it is a bit of a hike to get to some of the popular tourist sites. It is a moderately sized, well-maintained hotel designed to blend into historical Savannah (it has kind of a New Orleans). It has a private courtyard with pool and shaded seating area, inward-facing small balconies, a lovely lobby with working fireplace. The staff are welcoming and nice. The rooms are adequately-appointed and well-insulated against noise. My only complaint is related to the staff recommendation of the restaurant across the street: The Distillery. This was a terrible restaurant with slow service, limited food selection, and lack of atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cupecoy
Dear cupecoy,

Thank you so much for your great comments posted on TripAdvisor. We love that you loved it here.

We hope you'll visit us more often in the future. In the meantime, take care of yourself for us.

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We decided to take a last minute trip to Savannah for the long 4th of July weekend. Most hotels directly in the historic district were booked, so we chose Courtyard based on the Trip Advisor ratings. It's a little bit of a walk to see the squares and to the river front. The hotel had a nice lobby area and staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean, but there were small things that needed attention. The shower head needed to be replaced, and shower curtain too large for the shower and wouldn't hang correctly. Also, the bed was a bit uncomfortable. We'll be coming back to Savannah again soon, but probably staying closer to the action in a nicer hotel.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank WkndTravelGal
Dear WkndTravelGal,

We appreciate you staying with us and are a bit disappointed to hear we did not meet your -- or our -- expectations. We can only continue to be great because of feedback like what you provided.

We hate to see you go anywhere else and would love it if you would give us another chance to make it right for you.

Be well.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff I encountered were all very friendly, courteous, professional, and helpful. My problem during my stay was with the room cleanliness. Whenever I check into a hotel, I check the bedding. I pulled the sheets back and the mattress pad had hairs all over it, not 1 or 2 stray hairs, but hairs all over and on both sides of the pad. I asked the front desk if I could get another room and was told that they were completely booked, but they would have someone change the bedding right away. The the young woman and man on staff at the front desk on duty that evening, were exceptional. They apologized, remedied the situation immediately, and comped my parking and breakfast for the inconvenience. Double thumbs up for both of them and sorry I don't remember their names. The next night when I got back to my room after having been out all day, I walked in to find that my room hadn't been cleaned. The bed was unmade, the trash hadn't been emptied, floor wasn't vacuumed, I was out of kleenex and the dirty towels were still in a pile on the bathroom floor. I was tired and just wanted to shower and go to bed since I was leaving early in the morning and had a long drive ahead of me. I didn't even bother to tell the front desk staff or ask for the room to be cleaned. I just asked for a couple of clean towels and a box tissue, which they quickly provided to me, and I went back to my room.

Everything else about the hotel was fine. Good location in the historic district. The public areas in the hotel are clean, well designed and well decorated. The breakfast buffet was good. And the complimentary coffee, tea, and water,in the lobby area is a nice touch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank aiarmy11
Dear aiarmy11,

I'm so sorry to hear we disappointed you with our Housekeeping services. I have addressed your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper and the housekeeper that was assigned to your room. It is not okay to provide poor service and we take your comments very seriously.

I'm glad to hear our Front Desk team was able to offer you some compensation and apology. We don't like to be reactive though I'm glad that was satisfactory to you when we had to be.

We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back to Savannah.

In the meantime, take care of yourself for us.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My sister and I visited Savannah for three days and stayed at this hotel. The staff was so helpful and the location was the best. We were able to either walk to our destination or were picked up by one of the trolley shuttles and taken to the trolley company location.

Beautiful courtyard and pool area.

Took advantage of the valet parking. Didn't use our car but once to go to Tybee Island but it was brought to us very quickly. Also checked out at in the morning but were able to load up the car and see some more of Savannah because we were able to leave car at the hotel until 2:30PM.

Room was comfortable. Didn't spend a lot of time there.

Didn't use the restaurant. Just coffee. Plus they did have the cold water and iced tea set up for the guests. Very nice touch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bevpbg
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear bevpbg,

Thank you so much for visiting us during your recent stay in Savannah with your sister. We are thrilled you chose to stay with us and enjoyed your time while you were here.

Should you ever make it back to Savannah, we hope you'll come back and stay with us.

In the meantime, take care of yourself for us.