“Thoroughly fine hotel”

Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District
Ranked #40 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Savannah has many wonderful hotels to choose from. What made this place exceptional for me was the people. Front desk clerk who took time to welcome us, and upgraded our room when he learned we were celebrating a special birthday. There were the two hostesses in the restaurant who were so kind (Jerrylean and Michelle, thank you both!). It's the little things that mean so much.
Good breakfast bar, with fresh fruit and assortment of pastries and cereal, eggs and bacon. Bed was comfy. Place is clean and quiet. Great location in heart of Savannah

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Joan_of_art19
ErinGM, General Manager at Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Joan_of_art19,

Thank you so much for your delightful comments. We are thrilled to hear about your great experienece and happy to share with our team.

We thank you for staying with us at the Savannah Courtyard. Please come back and visit us again soon.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Savannah Downtown/Historic District

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our previous visit to Savannah was during the hotel's renovation. We could see the future then and we have to agree that this renovation was excellent. For the first time we chose to stay on upper floor since we were taking our time this trip and we were going to meet with another photography couple that we hired to show us what had missed on previous visits.
We had a room that overlooked the back area of the hotel with a view of the pool area. In the past we usually asked for a first floor room as we would leave quite early to get the sunrises or got back quite late after we had imaged the sunsets. This time we were looking to meet with our photographers at a decent hour and thus we would not worry about disturbing guests when departing at O-Dark thirty. If you have ever noticed, early risers at most hotels prefer the lower floors.
The service has always been superb at this hotel and they did not disappoint. The breakfast, as usual, has always been great and I was surprised to see the Marriott logo in the waffles. Nice marketing touch. The newly renovated bar, eating area reflects a quiet ambience that actually makes you feel welcome and the new furniture with the indirect lighting makes you feel almost at home. The ability to go to lobby area and get a late night "snack" from their area set aside for necessity and quick to grab items is right next to the check-in area. A fairly decent selection awaits. The only problem I personally had - one of the ice creams had been allowed to defrost a lot and was replaced in the freezer so it was ice on the top layer. When I brought that up to person on the front desk, he was abrupt about it and told me it was something he could not control. I choose not to argue with a fool as there are then two. However that did not effect my rating of this hotel or the staff. I am certain he was not prepared to offer mew a replacement, however an apology would have sufficed. He has no control over how other guests may set something aside and then put it back without realizing or realizing what they had done. The hotel can be assured that any time we come back to Savannah, we will stay here.

Room Tip: If you are staying for q few days, ask for a room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 943RickR

Dear Rick R,

We're so thrilled to hear you came back to visit with us post-renovation. We love our hotel and glad to hear you love what we've done with it.

I want to personally apologize for the abrubtness of one of our staff members. We will address your comments in our daily meeting as that is not the typical behavior that represents us or what our guests should receive.

We hope to see you again in any future travels to Savannah.

Thank you for your feedback and your business.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I normally stay in Courtyards for their consistency in clean, light, comfortable rooms. In this case, while the staff was friendly and helpful (inclusive of suggesting local restaurants and other sights in the city), the room was not what I would expect from a Marriott. Peeling wallpaper in the bathroom, towel rack 6 feet from the shower and placed over the toilet, sheets with holes, bed coverlet that was well past its expiration date all left a poor opinion of the property. Seems to be a bit short on Quality Control, although staff well trained. Location is very good, pity about the rooms. Good for a short stay, but I would not recommend for anything more than one night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SGCae

Dear SGCae,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I do apologize your room was not up to your standards, or frankly, ours. We have some opportunity to improve and it is with guests like you who want us to be successful. I thank you for that. I will share your feedback with our Leadership team and housekeeping staff.

Should your travels bring you back to Savannah again, we hope you'll give us another chance.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My room was lovely. I had a corner room which was very large.. The service was awesome. The staff was so nice and friendly! The only thing I didn't like was the pool. It was very small. Great location! Close to a lot of sights.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear tripsmom07,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your great feedback. We're thrilled you were happy with your stay. We're so fortunate to have an outdoor pool, however limited on the size.

We hope to see you again should your travels bring you back south to Savannah.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here and hoped we could walk around Savannah's historic area for the one full day we had before we had to continue our car trip south. We were not disappointed. The location is an easy walk down to the river and around the many squares. It is also across the street from the open trolley tours that can be booked through the concierge.

The room was clean, comfortable and renovated and the hotel itself was very nice....even though they charge for valet parking when there is free parking across the street! (Self parking is not an option)

Regardless, we would stay here again....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rhkfreespirit

Dear rhkfreespirit,

We're delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and the Savannah Historic District. We love our location in the heart of the district.

Unfortunately, parking is extremely limited in the Historic District and our hotel has valet parking available for a nominal fee. Although there are parking lots near us, we do not have access to them for our guests and parking is at your own risk. I'm glad, however, that worked out well for you.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My wife and I chose Savannah as a stopping point on our drive from DC to Orlando (with our two toddlers), so we booked the Courtyard through one of the travel sites. We got a fantastic rate, less than a third of the best rate available on Marriott's site, so I thought we got a pretty good deal. Finding the hotel is very easy, and the location is excellent; it's right in the heart of the historic district, a few blocks from some great River Street restaurants, interesting shops and fun sights. Nearby tourist attractions (Forsyth Park, Cathedral of St. John the Baptist) are easily walkable, but the famous Bonaventure Cemetery isn't.

Overall the hotel was decent. The lobby is brand new and really quite nice for a Courtyard, and the valets and front desk staff were very courteous. The rooms were a little less nice; I found myself cringing any time my 2-year-old decided to sit on the floor or play under the desk, and the bathroom was too dimly lit and gave me the feeling that it wasn't particularly clean. The mattress and linens were fresh and comfortable though so we at least enjoyed a good night's sleep. Check-out was as quick and easy as check-in had been, and the valet had our car ready when we walked out the door.

I typically don't expect too much out of the Courtyard brand (it's not intended to be a deluxe hotel, after all), and as such I was generally pleased with my stay at this one, and I'd be likely to come back if I could get the same great rate. I'd probably add a point to this review if housekeeping did a slightly better job at tidying up the property, particularly the bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank budabello

Dear budabello,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting the Savannah Historic District. We love our location and glad to hear you did as well.

We have addressed your comments and concerns with our Executive Housekeeper and housekeeping team. We are disappointed we failed you and failed ourselves.

We hope you'll visit us again should your travels bring you to the Savannah Historic District.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I moved over from the dumpy and more expensive desoto hilton...this hotel is way cleaner and way nicer-and just as good of a location.

The staff, especially the manager in the lobby, was super nice (He played football at UGA at the same I was a student there, so I am admittedly biased, lol)!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Greg H

Dear Greg H,

We LOVE that you changed hotels and chose to stay with us. And to hear we could top it off by connecting you with an old school-mate is even better. That's what we do at the Courtyard!

Next time you're in town, we hope you'll choose us first!

In the meantime, take care of yourself for us.