“Enjoyed, heard Charlie, but have some cleaning suggestions....”
Review of East Bay Inn

East Bay Inn
Ranked #10 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
“Enjoyed, heard Charlie, but have some cleaning suggestions....”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is my second stay, first was 14 years ago, I loved it then, so I came back. We had room 326, back corner cozy queen. Small but very quaint and fine for two people who were going to be out touring most of the time. The room with 18 foot high ceilings and brick walls was charming, the little foyer to the room, period furniture, the armoire (very little room to hang clothes because no closets), huge windows, all pretty cool. All very historic, giving the atmosphere we wanted. The bathroom was certainly adequate. Staff very nice, lobby and common areas nicely appointed. Wonderful creaky floors, loved it. Walk to just about anywhere you want to go, from River St to town squares, location was great. Things that need attention in the room: the blinds - very dusty and need a damp cloth to wipe down, a spider web in the bottom corner of one window, clearly visible when we opened blinds. One blind didn't work well at all. The bathroom fixtures were in need of repair, the drain plug kept coming off and the faucets needed a deeper cleaning. The toilet seat had some rust or something on the back. How much would that cost to replace, really? and the silver container that held the spare roll of toilet paper hadn't been wiped off or cleaned in forever! I didn't want to touch it. I don't like to be put in the "doubt zone" in terms of cleanliness when staying at a hotel. The bed seemed lumpy to us but ok. A little more attention is required to cleanliness, at least in that room. We were there three nights and on the 3rd night we both woke up in the wee hours to rapid tapping IN THE ROOM. My boyfriend, who is sensitive, felt a presence and heard voices. I heard the tapping 3 different times within several hours, and could tell something was in the room. Not the normal creaking outside in the hallway. He also heard someone lightly knock on our door after I dozed back off. Not scary, just a there. Although my boyfriend was a little freaked out. Charlie is "alive" and well!

Room Tip: Rooms on back are quieter. Bay street is very noisy. Pet friendly rooms on ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay at the East Bay Inn. Our room was cozy and nicely decorated with amazingly high ceilings. The staff was nice and helpful but not intrusive. Loved that they didn't nickel and dime us like some places, and included Wi-Fi and free bottled water, etc. Breakfast was a bit on the skimpy side, only tried it one day. Perfect location, didn't move our car once after we arrived and were able to walk everywhere. We would definitely stay here again.

Ponca City
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed in Room 210 and was very roomy and beautiful. Beds very comfortable and provided great view. This inn was everything we hoped it would be. Great access to everything. The only caution I would make is that since it is an older inn the floors do squeak. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem. But that being said, it wasn't a problem for us and we would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sherry M
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for a weekend. The room was absolutely gorgeous! Loved the decor and high ceilings. The location was perfect! We walked everywhere! Very convenient! Also enjoyed the most comfortable beds, free delicious breakfast, yummy cheese, crackers and snacks in the evenings, lovely turn down service with mints and ice, and the free bottled water after an afternoon stroll! The lady at the front desk was very nice! Would love to stay here again in the future! Absolutely wonderful!!!!

Room Tip: Once you park-if you get a spot in the hotel lot, walk everywhere! Not very many parking spots in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tammy S
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriend's birthday. I didn't want to stay at a corporate hotel (Hilton or Marriot) because I wanted to experience Savannah's southern charm and make it a special weekend. I had heard great reviews of East Bay Inn from a coworker. I booked the cozy queen. I was worried it would be very small, but it was the perfect size for two people. I did book early so I requested the 2nd or 3rd floor. We got a corner room, with a good view of the surrounding area. The ceilings are SO HIGH, which may have been my favorite feature. We needed to park in a parking garage nearby because the lot was full, but this wasn't a problem because we were not using our car while we were in Savannah. The hotel is decorated perfectly to accentuate the old southern charm, exposed brick, and hardwood floor. It seemed to be kept up very well considering how old it was. Every staff member was extremely friendly and accommodating. My parents surprised us with champagne, which the hotel set up to be waiting for us when we arrived (and we got to keep the champagne glasses!). The location is PERFECT for hanging out in historic Savannah. I recommend visiting in October when the weather is cool and the ghost tours are in full force! While the hotel is pricy, I feel it is worth the money, and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Consult the staff while booking and ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We spent 3 nights and 4 days at East Bay Inn with our best friends. Each of our Rooms were perfect! We had the 2 corner rooms on the 3rd floor overlooking East Bay Street. The location was perfect - we didn't realize how close we were going to be to River Street. The staff was very nice and very helpful. We were recommended to take the Oglethorpe Tour Bus and it was perfect (and the Inn arranged all of this for us and had the shuttle for Oglethorpe pick us right around the corner).
We enjoyed the evening wine & cheese. Was a good time to unwind for a bit and relax before we off to more exploring of the City. We were nicely surprised that we didn't hear any of our neighbors at the Inn. We have stayed at other older Hotels and the walls were paper thin. We would stay here again!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend and had a lovely experience with the staff. Melvin the bellman and Shiela at the front desk were true examples of southern hospitality at its finest. They would get 5 stars from me.
But to be honest the accommodations were not as great. The room was large and spacious, the beds very comfortable. But dirty hand prints and smeared spots on the wall, were something a little deep cleaning could cure. Then there's the bathroom: mold on the ceiling and shower curtain, I mean where is the bleach? I give you the place is old, but someone please put some elbow grease, paint, and additional upkeep into the rooms to make them really great. Oh and the breakfast was horrible. Worst eggs I have ever tried. The only edible thing was the yogurt and that was prepackaged so you can't mess that up.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends