“Level of bad service was catastrophic”

Extended Stay America - Savannah - Midtown
Ranked #91 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The Manager, Dexter gave us a refund and assured us that the person would be dealt with, and so I hope this was a one time event with a particular employee and not a reflection of the hotel in general, but if anyone else received similar treatment, it is a management issue. We arrived on January 12th for a pre-paid room through Hotels.com. I first asked for a third floor room and was told no by the front desk person, (who gave her name as Shevanta Jones) and we were given a 2nd floor room instead. I assumed they were booked full, but there appeared to be at least half the rooms empty. When we got to our room we found that there was no soap or shampoo in the bathroom or anywhere else. My wife called down to Ms. Jones and asked that some be brought up. Ms. Jones replied that the hotel was out of soap. My wife suggested that she simply get soap from a vacant room. Ms. Jones said that this was not possible and "we were not going to get any." My wife demanded to speak to her manager. Ms. Jones said she was the highest level person there and the general manager would not be there until the morning.. My wife asked for the name and telephone number of the manager and was told she could not have it. My wife asked what would happen if an irate customer or a robber confronted her, who would she call. She said she would call the police but not call her manager until later and we could not have the manager's name or number. We were flabbergasted that someone this hateful could be working in a service industry. I had to call Extended Stay's 888 number and after not getting through to customer relations, I called sales and demanded to speak to a manager and not get transferred. I spoke to a supervisor I think named Cindy. She was courteous and said she would call the hotel directly and get our situation resolved. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, she told us that we would be receiving call from the manager and would be getting soap and shampoo. Ms. Jones then called and said that "her manager told her to go across the street and get some soap", which we inferred to mean that it was our fault that she had to go out of the way. We then received a call from the general manager Dexter. He was courteous and told us we would be receiving soap in a few minutes. I explained that the lack of soap and shampoo was trivial relative to the disgusting attitude and refusal to provide service of Ms. Jones. He assured me that the issue would be dealt with. He also stated he wished to speak with us directly in the morning, but we had to leave earlier than his arrival. Ms. Jones reluctantly brought soap and shampoo to our room. When we checked out, the person at the front desk called him and he told us we would be getting a refund through Hotels.com for our room. I feel that Dexter handled the situation professionally, but customers need to know that this event happened so that it NEVER happens again.

Other than this incident, the room was clean and comfortable. We wanted to visit tourist areas downtown and this hotel is pretty far from them and in a rough neighborhood but that was our logistics issue, not the hotel's. We did get woken up about 3am with some guys partying in the parking lot as well.

Room Tip: If Shevanta Jones is at the front desk, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Savannah - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Sir and Ma"am, we thank you for choosing ESA Savannah as your place of lodging ! We also thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us. We take pride in providing all of our guest with the best stay possible. I would like to apologize for your inconvenience during your stay. We are much better than the quality of service you received while here and for that alone I do sincerely apologize ! If I could I would go back and make all wrongs right for you, but that's impossible. However in the future I can Make it Right for you and your wife. ExtendedStay America Hotels are big believers in Making it Right for our guest so if there's anything I can do to keep your mind open about my company please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We were traveling late through Georgia and had made this reservation previously. I was not sure of the exact location, my since of direction is horrible, so when I called a second time to make sure I was going the right way at 1:30 am I thought I might hear a little something something but all I got was a pleasant helpful voice that seemed to want to help. In this day and age I was impressed.We got there and again the front desk lady was all smiles and ready to give us the key...very nice. The room was clean and neat (very acceptable to my wife who is the clean freak) and we slept without disturbance. We woke and went to check out. The lady there was also very friendly and efficient. Standing next to her was Dexter the hotel manager and when we said Hi we are the Chand,,, checking out Dexter spoke up and smiling asked how we liked our night in room 214? Not only were we impressed with the knowledge he had about his guest but we could surely see that he truly sets the example for his staff and they easily follow. I would recommend this location to anyone traveling close to Savannah. Have a good night...
Janet and Mark

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Savannah - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2013

WOW, what a way to share and express your experience ! I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for the genuine words. We definitely appreciate you choosing ESA Savannah as your place of lodging. We strive on making all of our guest feel as welcome and relaxed as possible. It's a pleasure working with all the staff here and we are all honored and humbled by your kind words of gratitude. If you're ever in the Savannah area anytime in the future it would be our pleasure to serve you as guest again ! Keep Rockin Mark and Janet, your comments are the reason why we strive to be the best at what we do ! Happy New Years !!!!

Reviewed 23 December 2012

With all my stays at Extended Stay America was home like. Its like an home away from home. The staff there are nice and polite. They make sure all of there guess are well taking care of. The staff in includes Pam, Kim, Lamarrah, Sheunta, Dex, and all of housekeeping staff that keeps the rooms and grounds clean for there guess when they arrive.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Thank you for choosing ESA Savannah as your place of lodging during your visit to the area. We definitely appreciate you taking the time to go to TripAdvisor and post comments on your stay with us. The staff and myself take pride in service to our guest, so when we see things such this posted for others to read, it let's us know we are on the right track ! Again thank you for lodging with us and we hope we can be of service to you the next time you visit Beautiful Savannah GA.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

I have stayed at many many ESA , I like the chain because of the kitchenettes and they are always safe, clean (usually) and pet friendly although I dont often bring my pet anymore.
This ESA was nice, and in a safe area close to the river walk area- not walking distance but a quick little drive. It was pretty quiet, maybe off season in Oct? I dunno
I will be staying here every time I visit savahha for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: try to get a top floor room in any ESA because the celings dont have any sound proffing at all and y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelSwiss2009
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Savannah - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I was happy to arrive and find a well maintained building in a decent area of town. I was so tired that I didn't complain until the next day about my lack of a blanket. I did get a blanket which was left at the front desk clerk's station.

The floors were extremely dirty. I couldn't walk from the bathroom to the bed which is a very short distance without getting my socks dirty.

I really like my privacy and I was happy that I was not bothered by people coming in my room to clean all the time. There were ample towels for my week and it was like having an apartment in town. It's close to a grocery store and to the Five Guys burgers place.

All in all, I thought it was a good value and I'd stay there again. I'd bring slippers the next time though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
ESH-RDO, Owner at Extended Stay America - Savannah - Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We do apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you again ! We're using your feedback to better ensure that other guest don't encounter the same situation as you did. Thank you for your valued opinion and thoughts.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

I normally dont comment on hotels because I dont feel like wasting the time. However this NASTY, GROSS, and SMELLY place is NO where anyone should stay. They should lite it on fire and let it burn! Dont mess around with the HIGH rates! There is a Marriot Town Place about a mile and a half away up Abercorn for the same money! The staff was nice enough but they are fighting a fire without any water. Extended Stay America will NEVER get my money again! Run and Hide!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I know how committed we are to satisfying our guests, which is why it gave me great pleasure to read your kind words about our staff. Given this commitment, it was with great concern that I read the rest of your account. You have my most sincere apologies that your stay wasn't totally enjoyable.
Our hotel prides itself on exceptional customer service. We know that you have many lodging choices in our area, so we see it as our duty to go the extra mile however we can. Not only is this my personal belief, but it is a guiding principle at our hotel. I have, therefore, reviewed with each staff member the importance of being professional and courteous to every one of our guests, no matter the circumstances.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

We were buying a house, but had to leave our rental before our sale was final. We needed a place to stay with enough room for myself, my husband, and our 12 year old daughter. My husband is in a wheel chair so space was an issue. We also did not want to have to eat out every night. Extended Stay America gave us a full sized refrigerator and a stove that we could cook in our room.

Dexttre Mincey's staff was wonderful and took care of our every need! In addition, our daughter has autism spectrum and the staff was so great with her she was completely comfortable through out our entire stay. This was important to us and made quite an impression on us.

Previous to our move, we had visited several other affordable hotels in downtown Savannah, and were horrified and beginning to worry that we would be stuck in a dirty and unsafe place for the duration of our house purchase. Then we visited Extended Stay America and were greatly relieved!

It has to be understood that, being an extended stay place, that many construction crews working in Savannah from out of town or state need to stay there. Personally, I found them to be very friendly and befriended many of them during our stay there.

When all was said and done, we ended up having to stay at this facility for a total of 79 days and we did not have one bad day the entire time!

Thank you to Dextter, Pam, Kim, and all the staff who's names escape us -- our apologies. You were all great!

The Balmer Family

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Your thoughts and opinions definitely help us here at Extendedstay America Savannah to better serve the guest. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.