“A Great Savannah Experience”

Comfort Inn Midtown
Ranked #44 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If your goal is to stay in a place that reflects the local flavor rather than staying in a major hotel chain, Oglethorpe Inn & Suites is a great choice. It's an older property, but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KleopatraJones

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were very pleased with our stay when we visited in November, 2009, and we were happy to return for another visit. This time, we were vendors for the Springtime Made in the South Arts & Crafts Festival, so we wanted to stay somewhere familiar and comfortable for our five-night visit.

After five years, I was surprised to see the hotel in just as good of shape as before. The hotel was very clean and comfortable, including the mattress on our bed- something very important to me for a good night's sleep.

For $69/nt (weeknights) and $79 (weekend rate), this hotel was a really good value. The rooms (more like a suite) are large, breakfast is included, and complimentary newspapers are available each day. There is also a computer on each floor to access the internet, a gym, and a pool.

The most memorable part of our stay, however, was the friendly desk staff. We came in contact with three different staff members during our stay, and they were all very friendly and welcoming. Kelly was especially welcoming after we had spent long days at the Convention Center. Her warm smile and friendly personality was much appreciated!

In my last review, I also mentioned a Thai restaurant down the street. Yes, it was still there (it has been there for 14 years) and better than ever! Food at The King and I was so good that we enjoyed three dinners there during this stay!

We are looking forward to returning next February for another Springtime Made in the South Show, an enjoyable stay at Oglethorpe Inn & Suites, and dinners at The King and I. Hopefully, Kelly will be there to greet us!

Room Tip: A room on the top floor away from the breakfast buffet will be quiter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank ElaineK-SunCity-GA
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here on the first night of our trip to Key West. The rooms were big, clean. Yes they were outdated but that was in my opinion "charming". Our bed was comfortable. The breakfast was very good to be part of the room charge. Front desk lady was nice when we checked in and she directed us to a local restaurant. Would definitely stay here again if we ever visit Savannah.

Room Tip: we were on the second level away from the entrance in a king room. There is a centrally located elev...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JGJ57
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Tired of the chain hotels, well, slip into another century at the Oglethorpe Inn and Suites! Is it brand new, no, but it has charm, charm, charm and the room I had was large, with a separate sitting area and dressing room and bath room. I enjoyed the space and would definitely stay here again. Within walking distance to a seafood restaurant that was good. Liked the fact that the front doors were by key access after dark. Everyone was very helpful, polite and went the extra mile including asking me if I enjoyed my dinner at the nearby restuarant.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor overlooking a side parking lot and it was wonderfully quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank wvjake
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and recently spent 3 nights at the Oglethorpe Inn. It wasn't all that bad but it is old. The sofa in our room was quite old. Everytime you sat down or moved I thought the springs were going to come thru the cushion. Our room was clean. The bed was comfortable. I liked the separate sitting room. The breakfast in the morning was adequate with the standard food, cereal, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc. Used the laundry facility, washer and dryer very old. The location was good for shopping and restaurants. Staff was very friendly. Not sure if we would stay there again unless they did some updating.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theresa917
Cindy R, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you so much for your review and for noting our friendly staff and the good job our housekeeping department is doing. We're proud of our staff, and appreciate you noting their hard work! We do apologize for the problem with the sofa. We are looking into that, because we do hate it that your experience was not as good as it should have been. Please do contact us next time you're visiting Savannah, as we are working continuously to update the property and we'd love for you to visit us again on your next stay. We're putting "replace the sofa" on our list of things to update soon! Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel. We do hope to see you in Savannah again!

Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were so excited to go on vacation to Savannah. This was our first time to the city. We had plans to do the old Savannah tour, eat at lady and sons, uncle bubbas, and just enjoy downtown. We had no problems doing these things, they were awesome! Our problems started at hotel in first five minutes we arrived. When we got there at approximately 3 or 4 in the afternoon we approached the desk the clerk was in back on her cell with one earphone in and one out. She finally recognized us after a couple minutes. She came up checked us in In about 3 minutes she told us of breakfast hours nothing else. I had to call later and walk up to front for more info about WiFi password and such. We got into room, exhausted after a 6 hour drive. My wife inspected room because we always do because I am 35 and have cancer and going through chemo, so I have to be careful with germs. Anyway she immediately found hairs on bed and in bathroom and huge stain on bedspread. We called front they came in and changed bedspread without issue which was great. Then we realized we forgot our lysol , so we called asked for some and the clerk was a little snippy and said she would have a supervisor call us. We explained to her I was sick and we were just taking precautions. Which they never did just a housekeeper brought Lysol. Then we realized the heat was set to 80 but it was not hot in room and It kept running continuously. We just turned it off because it was warm. Next day we alerted them of the issue still not fixed when we got back from our day downtown. I asked for glen, the "manager" said he was not in. We were just extremely upset we got a great rate but tried not to complain but it got cold and heat never did work. No compensation was never mentioned our credits or such. I WOULD not stay here again the only nice ladies were our housekeeper and a blonde lady that worked desk at night. DO NOT STAY HERE!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Richard T
Cindy R, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Richard T.,
First, we'd like to thank you for acknowledging the housekeepers and the evening shift desk clerk during your stay at Oglethorpe Inn and Suites. Your experience with them does indeed sound like it was the most positive thing during your time with us! We sincerely apologize that your stay was so disappointing. Please know that the problems you experienced --- from room cleanliness to the HVAC issues --- are absolutely not acceptable, and we are working to improve the situation.

We were particularly disturbed to hear that our staff appeared insensitive to your needs and that the manager was not available to help solve the problems. It's certainly understandable that you have to take extra precautions due to your illness, and its unfortunate that you did not get extra-special attention while here with us. We do apologize.

Please allow us to make this up to you the next time you are in Savannah. Feel free to contact me directly for your next visit, and we will ensure you get a very good rate, but more importantly, we will make sure that you get the room and attention that you deserve.

Best Regards,
Cindy Roberts
Corporate Director of Sales & Marketing
Oglethorpe Inn & Suites

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Ended up in Savannah on a weekend where every hotel and B & B we checked was booked. Stayed here based on prior reviews. Arrived just after dark and the front door was locked already. Another guest walked up and let me in. Front desk clerk was very kind and helpful but the hotel just had a weird vibe. The room was okay but the bathroom is in serious need of repair and updating. There was no plug in the tub and cracks along the baseboard in need of caulking. Hotel is a drive from the downtown historic area of Savannah. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family