“Clean, Quiet and Elegant at a Reasonable Rate - Excellent Place to Stay”

Comfort Inn Midtown
Ranked #41 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
Florida
“Clean, Quiet and Elegant at a Reasonable Rate - Excellent Place to Stay”
Reviewed 5 January 2010

The Oglethorpe Inn & Suites takes online reservations on its website. Though the interface is straightforward, if you want to modify or cancel the reservation you have to call the inn directly to do so. To simply add AAA status to my original reservation (and get the discount), I had to cancel the first reservation by phone, then make a new one online using the AAA link on the motel’s webpage. I prefer online booking that allows the traveler to make their own changes so you have written documentation of any changes should there be a mix-up. Nonetheless, when I arrived all was in order as reserved.

The inn is conveniently located to most Savannah attractions, shopping and dining. There was plenty of well-lit parking and the grounds and building exterior were attractive. The entry canopy did not extend over the loading area, so when we left the next morning we had to pack the trunk quickly in a light drizzle. Had it been raining heavier, packing would have been difficult.

The rate was very reasonable, so I did not expect the high quality I found inside. Everything was clean and attractively decorated. The front desk clerk was attentive and helpful. The lobby extended into a large interior courtyard that extended the three stories of the inn. The rooms had interior corridors open to the courtyard. A glass elevator provided access to the upper floors. The courtyard was decorated with live plants, drapery and upholstered furniture, including the wooden chairs around the dining tables that provided ample seating for the Continental breakfast. The courtyard also contained two computer work areas, each complete with PC and printer and a sitting area. The whole feeling of the courtyard was quiet elegance. I was delightfully surprised and wondered if the room would be as nice.

My wife and I were happy to find the room was large, clean, quiet and comfortable. The overall décor was textured walls painted in a soft blue, with framed art and mirrors. Wainscoting added to the appearance of elegance. The entry door opened into a living room, with a couch, chair and coffee table on one side and a desk and two chairs on the other side. Free WiFi was available and though the signal was a bit weak, it readily connected. The large bedroom included a comfortable king bed, two night tables and a TV set on a dresser. The TV was on a swivel base so it could be turned to face either the bedroom or living room. The HVAC unit ran very quietly.

The large vanity/sink area was in a separate room along with a large closet. The vanity area can be closed off from the bedroom for privacy using double doors, but the doors could not be closed fully from within because they lacked knobs on the inside. One of the double doors held a full-length mirror. The toilet and shower room was separate from the vanity area, allowing privacy should someone want to use it while the vanity room was in use. I prefer that kind of arrangement.

Other amenities included a coffeemaker, hairdryer, ironing board and iron. A nicely printed directory on the work desk provided information about the inn and area. The inn included an outdoor pool, but we did not use it since it was winter.

The Continental breakfast consisted of cereals, oatmeal, grits, fruit, toaster waffles, toast, Danish, muffins, English muffins and bagels, along with coffee, tea and juices. Everything was fresh and in good supply.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay at the Oglethorpe Inn & Suites, finding it to provide unexpected comfort and elegance at a very reasonable rate. This will be our inn of choice for our future visits to Savannah.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anoviv

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
south carolina
Reviewed 4 January 2010

We found Oglethorpe Inn and Suites on the internet while searching for a place to stay on the Savannah River. We could not afford a room on the river, so we clicked on this inn. We were very surprised at the rates. Every over the phone contact was a pleasant experience. They even gave us a better rate than we had previously booked.
This was a totally unexpected experience for us. The inn was so clean and neat. The rooms were the cleanest of any hotels in which we have stayed in the past 5 years. We loved the suite style room. You can relax at the end of the day on a sofa, instead of having to lie down on the bed to watch television or read.
You step out of your room onto an inside balcony instead of a cold sidewalk. We love the sea; therefore, we loved the color scheme. The balconies remind you of old days with all the lovely iron work. The atrium is filled with plants, Christmas music was playing, hot coffee at the end of the day. The staff was wonderful to us. We will return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SouthCarolinaSeabird
Litchfield
Reviewed 4 December 2009

This hotel has very large suite rooms nicely decoratored, looked like everything has been remodeled recently. Location is not close to downtown but bus service is good and in front of hotel. Good value when visiting Savannah.

• Stayed November 2009
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 1 December 2009

I booked at this hotel based on the posted reviews. However, after arriving there I found out that the hotel is located 9 miles/ 11 minutes driving to Savannah downtown and not 5 miles as stated on their website. Also, they do not offer a free shuttle as read. The Shuttle service you around the hotel area only but during my 2 days stay I never spotted parked outside. The close location and the shuttle service were the 2 reasons that made me book there but I was disappointed after finding out that the location is bit far and the "shuttle service" is not to downtown. The place on Saturday night after midnight was noisy by some drunk people with others knocking on the wall. Also, my room was not cleaned and I never had any fresh towels so I had to ask for some when I returned back to my room after a long day in downtown. Internet is a bit slow if you use their business center. The breakfast is rich. They offer a lot. The frontdesk people are friendly. The parking in downtown during weekend is cheap. It is just for 3 bucks for the whole day.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellersAdviser
Sun City Peachtree, Georgia
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I found Oglethorpe Inn & Suites on Trip Advisor and was very happy I did! I booked two rooms; one for me and my husband, and one for my mother who was visiting from California. All three of us were very impressed with the size of our rooms and the attractiveness of the atrium. I also appreciated the complimentary breakfast, newspapers, and computers located in the lobby. They came in handy for looking up restaurants on Trip Advisor! (By the way, there is a terrific Thai restaurant within walking distance, "The King and I". Turn right out of the parking lot and walk up past the light. The King and I is located in the strip mall, just past the light.)

We really enjoyed our three night stay before Thanksgiving and will definitely return. It is a much better value than staying downtown! And, the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, MO
Reviewed 23 November 2009

None of the other reviews have mentioned how beautiful this hotel is. The atrium is lovely and distinctive, having a cool retro vibe of updated late 50s-early 60s interior design. It is a real treat to step out of your room and look out over the wrought-iron railings to the elegant breakfast area below. Our room was incredibly spacious, also beautifully decorated. The front desk staff was great, and we enjoyed eating breakfast in that lovely atrium. Our visit was a lovely surprise. We arrived in Savannah without a hotel reservation and happened to find it while driving around the mall area.

On a previous visit to Savannah, we stayed at one of the pricier hotels on Bay Street. It was OK, but more expensive, and the valet parking was a hassle. This hotel was as nice as that one, without the parking problem (plenty of free parking on the hotel grounds), and at a much lower price.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My husband and I spent one night at the Oglethorpe Inn and Suites. The room was very clean, and was very roomy and had a good setup. Free breakfast in the morning, and free internet. However, ours did not work because we were in a far corner of the hotel. The lobby was beautiful and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our television was not working properly, and they sent someone up immediately to come look at it.
This hotel is not in historic Savannah, which was more than fine with us because of the money we saved. It is just a short 5 minute drive into town where you can find free parking on the streets. I would stay here again, and will recommend this to anyone I know going to Savannah.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple