“Well, we didn't leave screaming....but it wasn't a nice stay”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Savannah
Ranked #70 of 113 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Florida
“Well, we didn't leave screaming....but it wasn't a nice stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

First, the pros....it was a place to lay our heads for a night while in route from Maryland to Disney. They do not charge a pet fee and accept small pets up to 25 pounds, and the parking is ample and free. Now the Cons: I went into this hotel thinking it looked lovely in the lobby, and that we'd really lucked out with our $59 rate and no pet fee. The room wasn't exactly clean, but then again, we were only there to spend one night, so I could overlook that. Even if I had to sleep on top of the blankets, that would be fine...I just needed a place to rest for the night. However, the next morning, I went downstairs for the free complimentary breakfast, and there was none at the time the breakfast was supposed to be served. No one was even preparing it. There was, however, a man asleep in the lobby....not sure whether he was a guest or just camping out for the night. The ice maker at the end of my hallway had leaked at some point in the night, and there was water everywhere. I also had to kill a roach in my room. Didn't see any others....just that one roach, but it was still kind of disturbing. I didn't want to bring any of those little critters to Disney with me in my luggage. I wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed August 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2008

We stayed here for two nights while exploring Savannah, and it was wonderful for our purposes (sleeping and showering) - rooms are clean, beds are comfy. The included breakfast and free internet access were welcome perks too. Only drawback was the location - slightly outside the city, so be sure to take the right turns and not get lost like we did!

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2008

My wife and I stayed at this property in November 07 and December 07. When frist ariving it can be a bit confusing as the only access road is from an entrance rather far from the hotel. Our first stay was in a regular room. Our December stay was in a suite, comped from my Redicard membership with Red Roof. This property has not been remodeled or "redesigned and rededicated" as Red Roof says, but it is still in good shape and was very clean.

Standard Room: Large room with typical Red Roof layout. We had a king size bed, desk, TV, and a couch. The room was clean and the bed was comforable. the pillows were a bit thin, but that did not bother me.

Suite: Very large room with king size bed, couch, desk, coffee table, TV, Jacuzzi tub IN the bedroom, and a bathroom with sink seperate from the shower and toilet. We did not use the tub, but we did find it interesting that it was in the bedroom rather than the bathroom.

Free Breakfast: The breakfast has the usual cold cereal, bagels, toast, fruit and the like.

Internet: Wireless is available for a per day charge, but there is free highspeed access on a PC in the lounge area.

Overall this is a great property for the price, it is really hard to beat it in this area.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Welland, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2007

We were on a budget and not familiar with the Savannah area, so we chose to stay at the Red Roof for our three night stay. The room was big and clean, the lobby and elevator were in good repair and very nice. The included breakfast had bagels & cream cheese, toast, packaged danish, juice and coffee, including a specialty coffee machine, which unfortunately, didn't work right during our stay. The area felt very safe, which can be a real bonus in Savannah, which like all bigger centres, has areas in which you don't feel entirely secure. There are a variety of chain restaurants in the area, including Waffle Houses.

The only problem with the hotel is the fairly long drive to the Historic District. We found ourselves carrying too much stuff around because we didn't want to drive all the way back to the hotel...nor did we go out in the evening, unable to face all the driving required. And, of course, it's generic...there's no atmosphere.

If you're on a budget, it's a great place to stay...good size, clean and a heck of a bargain! But personally, next time I'm going to try and cough up the bucks for a B&B in the District. I know I'd get more out of my Savannah experience that way.

• Liked — Price!
  • Disliked — Too far from the Historic District
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
Norfolk, Va.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2007

I spent four days at this Red Roof, I had brought my laptop computer along, planned on doing some online work during my stay. Trying to connect to my ISP, would get only busy signals. Uning the motel phone, calling my ISP, still a busy signal. Using my cell phone phone calling my ISP, the line was open. I went to the front desk to complain, they offered to sell me a one day pass ($10.00) with T-Mobile. They finally verbaly admitted that the data ports was blocked, requiring the customer to rent the T-Mobile. I made a formal complaint to Accor North America, their reply "we were unable to resolve the situation". So computer users beware, of blocked data ports.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — blocked data ports, dening me access to the internet.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ButchNorfolk
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2006

We stayed at this Red Roof in from July 20th-23rd. It was a weekend getaway with my husband, daughter and her BF. We had a late check in and no problems upon arrival. The room was not bad for the 60.49 we paid per night. It was your basic room with older furniture and didnt see any new remodeling. The walls could use painting or at least scrubbed some because there were some stains on them. Housekeeping did come and clean every day though so besides the walls (which werent awful) the room was kept clean. The pool looked a little greenish and besides seeing some people hanging out by it we never saw anyone actually go in it. Front desk and housekeeping were nice and helpful.
Downtown was maybe 20 min away which wasnt bad. Tybee Island was a haul from this gateway hotel. It took us about an hour every time we went to the beach. If I wasnt on a budget we would have stayed either downtown or on Tybee. Dont expect it to take less time then that to get there. Lobby was always clean. Outside looks good. Continental breakfast had bagels, wrapped danish, cereal, coffee and juice. I guess they dont serve the waffles on the weekends because we never saw any and we missed breakfast on Fri. morning. A/C worked great! Brrrr. If you are on a budget and dont mind the long ride to the beach then I would recommend this hotel because you cant beat the price. I would like to stay on Tybee next time but if im short on cash I would most definately stay here again! Good job Red Roof. Keep the low rates!

• Liked — The A/C and the helpful staff
  • Disliked — distance to the beach
  • Tips/Secrets — Taking 17 to the beach might shorten the trip some instead of 204.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Bonnie9557
Greenville, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2006

We stayed at this motel twice - enroute to Disney and on our return. A great stay both times. On the way down, we went over to the River Street district in Savannah. It is about a 15-minute drive. The staff was very helpful on both of our stays. The buildings and grounds are clean and there are lots of restaurants in the area here just off I-95. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2006