“Great staff”

Howard Johnson Express Inn Savannah GA
Ranked #93 of 115 Hotels in Savannah
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great staff the guy at the front desk jon was very helpful with pointing out the restaurants and things that savannah was offering. it was my first time visting this area. The rooms were ok. i recived a call from jon a hour or so later to check to see how my stay was going. my next trip there i would most def consider this property.

Room Tip: Give this property a try to price is fair. and the service is great
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Mick S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Savannah GA, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. W strive to give you outstanding customer service. Your feedback is always important. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed overnight at this motel on Saturday, april14th to Sunday morning april 15th, 2012. In all our travels we never couldn't wait to get out of a place as we did here. First of all their advertisement in the coupon book available at the I95 reststops is misleading. The coupon states the price is 49.95 per night and 10.00 additional on friday & saturday night. When we checked in we were told by john the counterclerk that the rooms at the coupon price were sold out and the best he could do is $69.00 plus tax. When we expressed our dismay he appeared unconcerned about the situation. In addition bottled water was sold out in both vending machines and there was none available at the desk or nearby. There were numerous individuals gathered outside their rooms all night drinking, smoking, and being very loud with no consideration for their neighbors and no corrective measures taken by management. It appeared that people are living in this motel. We expressed these concerns to the owner when we checked out and he said the ad was fine and that the noise level should be expected when you have a full house. Hopefully after enough savy travellers check sites like trip advisor they won't have too many more nights where there is a full house. A watchdog group needs to be established throughout our beautiful country to expose these price gauging run down places. So do yourself a favor, do your family a favor, do your friends a favor and do not stay at this motel even if he have to drive further and pay alittle more.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank mgzinnel
Eva J, General Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn Savannah GA, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review. I am sorry to hear you had some issues with your stay. It is our goal to make each guest's stay enjoyable and comfortable. We appreciate you bringing these items to our attention for immediate correction. We take all our reviews seriously and hope you will still consider us for accommodations in the future. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely

Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed here over the July 4th weekend. When we arrived late, the A/C did not work properly. We were told to hold off for 20 min and see if it would kick in. After an hour, it was worse and they kept delaying moving our room. It was midnight and we had 2 kids, when we finally packed up our stuff and went to the front lobby.
The night manager was rude and proceeded to make us wait another 20 minutes before switching our rooms. She told us, it was only for that night and the rest of our 3 night stay would need to be in the old room with the bad a/c. (We had booked 3 rooms for 3 nights each, you would think they would treat us better than that.)
The next morning the day manager allowed us to stay in our room and not move. Wahoo, a plus. However, while my kids were changing in the room later that day, a male employee walked in, without knocking. Walked right in on my naked children. I was told he was going to check the room to see if it needed cleaning and he was not aware we were there. HELLO, have you ever heard of knocking??????
Terrible experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Eva J

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed at this motel for 1 night while on a business trip. The property looked a little ran down from the outside. The room had a nasty smell and stains on the carpet. The next morning I noticed stains in the shower and roaches. Also the toliet would not flush and the ac leaked all over the floor and got my stuff wet. I went to the desk and the woman there Connie said we have no maintance guy and theres nothing I can do for you. If you need to use the restroom you can use the one in the lobby. By they way what time are you leaving. This was the worst motel that I have have seen and the worst staff ever. I used wyndam points to pay for my stay. I contacted customer service for howard johnson to request a refund because it was so bad. The hotel manager said no but would offer me a discount on a future stay. I dont think so. I would rather sleep in a park first it would be much cleaner. Over all this motel should not be under the wyndhan hotel chain if gives them a bad name. Over all stay away from this filthy place. TERRIBLE!!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris G

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Similar to the review a few down, I made the mistake of allowing Priceline to search 2 star hotels. Needless to say, I've since advised Priceline that the hotel was not clean, comfortable, or close to historic Savannah. This place was smelly, decorated in probably 1982, and was falling apart. I'm not sure what grossed me out the most, the electric outlets that were so loose you couldn't plug anything in them, the nasty strand of what was probably a hooker's hair hanging off of the lamp, or the bug bites that covered my arms the next day. In a nutshell, I was booked for two nights and I ended up choosing to end my trip early rather than spend another night. Absolutely horrible.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gregory W

Reviewed 20 September 2011

I came here as it is was right off the highway and my eyes couldn't stay open much longer so I thought I would just crash here for a few hours and then go on my way in the morning. . The room I was given was musty smelling and had a hint of mold in the air. After going into the bathroom I was greeted by two cockroaches and only one towel on the rack, maybe the cockroaches took the others ? I wound up just sleeping on top of the covers and keeping one eye on the door and my other on the floor. Mattress in my room was worn out as well. Needless to say I didn't sleep much and wound up checking out earlier then I planned on. After I checked out, I had wished I just slept in my car and used the rest stop access at the state line instead. Not a good experience at all, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank IceCandle

Reviewed 31 July 2011

just wanted a good night sleep and a little pool time..got both at a very good price..the staff was very nice. the only hotel we have stayed at when the front desk calls after we get to the room and ask if everthing is ok...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

I wish to thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us here at the Howard Johnson. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay and you were satisfied with the service provided. We do thank you for sharing your feedback, these are an invaluable source for us to review our performance and strive to achieve excellent standards of product and service to our guests.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Howard Johnson in the near future.
Best regards,