“Go somewhere else”

Comfort Suites Historic District
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 12 July 2014

To start, the title Comfort Suites Historic District is very deceiving- this place is NOT in the historic district, it's a couple blocks outside it.

When we got there, we were told we could use the shuttle to get to and from places in the historic district, so we took advantage of it to go to dinner with our two small children. Getting there was fine, as the shuttle driver was sitting outside smoking when we walked out, but getting back was a hassle. We called and were told it would be 15 minutes. 30 minutes later, we call back wondering what's going on, and we're told the front desk person would "look into it." 10 minutes later (40 minutes total) she finally showed up, unpleasant and reeking of cigarette smoke. I don't feel I or my kids should have to smell the smoke on you in an enclosed shuttle.

When we got back to the room, we pulled back the sheets on the bed and saw that they hadn't even bothered to put a fitted sheet on the bed, but just a dirty flat sheet that wasn't even tucked under. There was construction going on, and apparently it went all night, because all night I kept hearing a loud noise outside. Also, we could hear everything going on in the hall.

The next morning, I went downstairs to request a later check out, and spoke to the front desk MANAGER. During this, I told him the reason was so we could take the kids to the pool one more time before heading home, to which he replied "oh, that's nice." After breakfast, we went back upstairs and hung out for a while, then went back downstairs to the pool. We got there to see it had been emptied and was being cleaned. The manager never bothered to mention this to us, and now we had a very disappointed 4 year old. When we were checking out, I asked the attendant if there was prior knowledge of the cleaning and she had no idea. I explained the situation to her, and all she said was "oh, I'm sorry" in the most disinterested and bored tone I think she could muster, along with a blank stare at the corner behind me.

Oh, we also saw the chute (either trash or laundry) door next to the elevator unlocked, meaning any curious child could have opened it and fallen through.

I got an email a couple days after we got back and gave this review through the corporate website, and got an email back from the general manager, Ron Jean. I could tell right away it was a stock letter, and it was confirmed as I was looking through these reviews and saw the same thing, word for word, in response to someone's negative review. Yeah...I can definitely tell you want our business back. To think, I was going to give you the benefit of a doubt and try again when we went back to Savannah next week, but after that, I think I'll go to the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank timofmylif

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let me start by saying I usually only stay at high end hotels. This is only the second time I have stayed at Comfort, the other time because they were the only ones in a small town. I selected this location based on the recommendations of others on TripAdvisor. From the time I walked in, I was greeted by the desk manager, Guillermo Montes. He was delightful, helpful and cheery all the time. The room and hotel were very clean (my number one priority). It was also in a very convenient location to all the sights in the historic district. There was also a complimentary shuttle available but we did not use them so I don't know how convenient that was. The hotel was booked for the 4th of July holiday and yet, they were always available to assist with our needs. Great Stay and I would stay here again! Thank you very much!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family stayed overnight at this hotel June 30th. The hotel is located toward the bridge end of River St.. It is about a two block walk to the beginning of the River st area. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from selected areas of Savannah. Walking is okay in the daytime but don't at night.
The hotel is very clean, up to date, and well run. The service was excellant. It has a small indoor pool and hot tub. The best part was the beds , very soft. I had a good nights sleep.
The hotel does charge $5 for parking. The lot is ajoining the hotel, so I don;t know why.
Enjoy the history of Savannah and the food and shopping. If you are in season take in a baseball game. The Savannah Sandgnats, Chicago Cub A team plays here. Great baseball in a historic ballpark.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DAWGTRIP
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Although this originally would not have been my first choice for hotels, due to the location (a little longer walk than expected to get to River Street.....and is located across the street from a housing project......the free shuttle made the experience quite pleasing. The staff was very nice. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. All together a nice experience. I would stay there again even though it is a treck to River Street (it was always nice and quiet at night). :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It is pet friendly, ONLY and ONLY, if your pet is less than 15 lbs. with a charge of $50.00 per pet. Not pet friendly at all. Location is great! There is also a $5.00 parking fee and taxes For a one night stay the price was over $340.00. BE CAREFUL IF YOU PLAN TO STAY. Try the Kimpton!

Room Tip: If you have a pet find another hotel. You will save money and be welcome at a really pet friendly h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Richard D
Reviewed 24 June 2014

if you're like me, you dont want to spend an arm and a leg to swing down to savannah for the night. you just want to get in, get cleaned up, rest well and go on about your business. this place is just that. its not too much, and not too little. its in a great location. its smack dab in the middle of everything. walking distance or driving distance, its not far from any of the small restaurants or shops or anything else you may want to do in downtown savannah. the staff was extremely friendly. although the security guard was a little TOO friendly...while my friend was checking in, i noticed a flash go off behind me...i turned around and saw the security guard sitting in the corner in a chair with his phone facing me...i was stunned...so i walked around the corner where i could see his reflection in the glass, and low and behold, he was still snapping pictures of me...fast forward a few hours, i had to walk outside to my car and when i walked out, he told me, ' you're looking like you're walking on a run way'...awkward...i think he should have been a bit more professional, especially with the picture thing...so now there's some weird black security guard with pictures of me on his phone :-\ i didnt let that deter me though, still a great hotel and i would totally stay again!

Room Tip: i would suggest using one of the bidding websites. we had no idea what we would get when we bid on h...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Hotel is walking distance to historice distance; however, there is a shuttle that runs until 9:00pm. Very nice drivers, willing to drop you off and pick you up on your schedule & locations. Seems like the hotel was recently renovated. Small indoor pool. Very comfortable bed, nice linens. Sitting area with nice furniture. Clean room/property & bathroom. Parking is available onsite for $5 per day. If you need to return to the hotel after the last shuttle pickup, I would not walk back to hotel. Take a taxi, there are plenty and it will only cost a couple of dollars. Nice staff. Breakfast room is big and great selection of foods/drinks. There is fresh coffee all day & night. Would return for sure.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple