“Location, Location”

Comfort Suites Historic District
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Savannah
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We visited the Savannah College of Art and Design for early orientation in late July. I had read many reviews on TripAdvisor prior to booking this hotel, and most of what I'd like to say, both good and bad, has already been said. BUT, I think it is very important to place more emphasis on the things that REALLY matter. We thought the rooms were very nice, clean, and a good value for the price. However, the location was not convenient for walking (too far in the 100 degree heat during the day) and not favorable at night at all. There is a subsidized housing project directly across the street and construction was taking place behind the hotel. It woke us up early every morning. You can't reserve the free shuttle, so it is first come/ first serve (which is nerve racking if you have a reservation), and it doesn't pick up as far as my younger son needed to return to the hotel from the College. (Someone told him, "Sorry we don't go that far, and simply hung up without offering him any other options.) Also, the shuttle stops running at 9:00 pm., so you have to make your evening plans early. The breakfast was o,k, but the eggs were in the shape of a large flat circle, the sausage didn't taste good, and because it is a long walk from other places, it is crowded and difficult to get a seat. The first morning, we took the food up to our room. In September, we have booked a room which is safer and more accessible to the river, the city market, and the Historic District in general, for my older son's college, move-in date. There is a reason why this hotel is less expensive than the others: Location, Location!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fishlovers
Lucas W, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I sincerely appreciate your review and your honesty. Please allow me to apologize for the mediocre experience during your stay in July. Since your last visit to Savannah Historic District, we've made some changes to our breakfast menu. We are also opening an annex for the overflow and congestion during breakfast. The construction next door is coming to an end within the next couple of weeks. The Hue has been constructing a new urban living facility to accommodate more of their students' living situations. We are very pleased to have SCAD students as our new neighbors!

I hope you give us a second chance to show you superior service. If you do decide, let me know and I will make sure your stay is most enjoyable.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

When we arrived there was a very noisy school group staying on our floor. There was lots of door knocking and running about late into the evening. However, when we complained the management apologized and gave us some cereal bars and oranges as compensation. A small token but showed that they took note of the complaint and made an effort to make amends. The second night was much quieter.

There is a pool and hot tub, although they can be seen from reception, which is slightly strange. I also had some concerns around the cleanliness of the pool as there seemed to be clumps of hair floating around in the main pool. The breakfast area is a small area next to the reception, and both times we visited it was very busy, and it was a struggle to find a table. The area is quite small, and moving around to get breakfast items is tricky when the tables are occupied as many chairs and tables have been squeezed into the area.

The location of the hotel is not too bad if you don't mind walking – we found that the shuttle bus was not that convenient as it only started at 10am. The area around the hotel wasn't that great, but staying on the main street you seemed OK.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very appreciative of your viewing of our hotel. I'm very pleased that you felt that you were heard by our staff. Our mission is complete guest satisfaction. Which is why we appreciate your honest opinion of our hotel. It helps us define our weaknesses as we aim to become a better hotel everyday. Our hotel is located in the outer edge of the Savannah Historic District next to SCAD's new apartment THE HUE. We do offer a complimentary shuttles, however, there are many other ways of getting around town. Savannah's Department of Transportation (DOT) has a complimentary shuttle, trolley, and ferry! All three of the trolley companies, Old Town Trolley, Old Savannah Tours, and Gray Lines, offer to pick you up and drop you off at our hotel! Just a few more suggestions for the next time you come visit with us.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I booked two nights here for my Girl Scout troops visit to Savannah. The price couldn't be beat so I was expecting a so, so hotel. I've stayed in plenty hotels so I have a pretty good idea what's out there. I was completely blown away by how clean and how nice this hotel was. For the price I was expecting something moderately rundown. Boy was I wrong. The foyer was beautiful, the pool - although tiny - was really pretty, the room was huge...super high ceilings, lovely arches, huge sitting area...the room really was unbelievable. The beds were super cozy, I couldn't hear my neighbors (thank heavens), the bathrooms were nice and everything was super clean and very nice. I was very, very surprised. The breakfast buffet was amazing...waffles, bacon, eggs, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit salad and all the standards like toast, waffles, yogurt, juice, oatmeal, cereal, etc... The staff was lovely. Super friendly and very accommodating. Only negatives were the small elevator and the fact that although the hotel was in the historic district...it was just too a wee bit too far to actually walk. Thank you for the wonderful visit! I will def visit the next time I'm in Savannah & wil recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I'm very excited to hear that you had such a terrific stay with us! We are honored to host Girl Scout in the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Lowe. Thank you for passion for guiding this young ladies as they grow into some of our future's leaders of America.

It pleases me to hear that the service was so great that we are spreading the word to all your friends and family! Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Best hotel I've stayed at in a long time! Nicest staff I've ever met at a hotel! Rooms are neat, clean, and very spacious! Free rides to river street and back. Cheapest hotel parking in the historic district!! Great experience and defiantly will go back! Recommend to everyone!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your kind words! Next time you're in town, I suggest also take it down to Forsyth park. It's an amazing park, half covered in historic trees, the other have open fields to run, play, and sun bathe. Our shuttle will be able to you anywhere in the historic district not just to the must see River Street. Next time you come visit, as our shuttle about some of our local favorites!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Clean room, with comfortable beds, nice hot shower, and a delicious breakfast! The hotel staff were helpful and professional. The location was close to shops and restaurants - within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay. One of the most important things to me is how you sleep, especially the night you arrive and the night before you leave. Near the beginning of the year, we received new mattresses, new pillows, and new bedding. We updated the duvet covers for a clean modern look. We are pleased that the changes are paying off for our guests! We want to you be well rested to explore the many things Historic Savannah has to offer!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is one of the nicest and by far the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in. It's a bit of a walk to the river shops but a shuttle is available. The rooms were immaculate, and the service was great, especially the desk clerk. Beautiful décor. My one down side is that our mattress was a bit too comfortable and soft for me. The hotel will go down in memory as one of our favorites of all time. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Wow! Thank you so much for the flattering review of our hotel. I am elated to hear that we've made our hotel one of your favorites! I hope we do see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. There was a power outage but things were not as bad as I thought they would be. The rooms were spacious, the bed was comfortable. I'd choose to stay here again. I love the shuttle, we had the opportunity to travel river street and go to the city market. I enjoyed my trip. Looking forward to going back to Comfort Suites historic downtown.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding during those difficult times. We were scrambling around to accommodate all out guests as best as we could. Unfortunately, we were not the only ones in the Savannah Historic District by the power outage. But during the crisis, you were able to have an enjoyable stay and I am very glad that you did!

Thank you for your kind words and I hope to see you in Savannah again soon.