“Superb Stay”

Savannah International Pensione
georgia
“Superb Stay”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay here. To stay in very old house was fun. Amazed by high ceiling and large windows that act as doors. We found room comfortable. Bathroom was short walk from room. Inside was clean but outside needs paint work. Location is good for walk. The price was cheapest to stay in old area, saved difference from more costly lodging and went to nice restaurant.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We had read the reviews. We had braced ourselves for the crazy owner and pictures of cats everywhere. What we had somehow failed to anticipate, however, was all the rest. Brian certainly lives up to his reputation. At 30 dollars a night per person, this is the most expensive hostel we stayed at on this trip. It certainly is also the filthiest. (the irony of a five-hour close-down for cleaning was certainely not lost on me). Fitted sheets are not provided, so you sleep on a plastic-covered mattress like an incontinent granny. Despite the hostel being mostly empty, we ended up in a mixed dorm. The roommate stumbling in at three and proceeding to snore like a trouper is certainly not the owner's fault, but for us it was the final straw. We cancelled our second night and left early.

• Stayed August 2010
7 Thank MademoiselleP

Travellers are raving about these Savannah hotels

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed here one night at the end of June. The room we got for 60 bucks including tax and bedlinen and towels was just a room with a king-size bed and a fan at the ceiling. The staff told us that they had started the air-condition when we arrived but although it was really hot all night long. I'm sure they would have listened to us if we had complained but we were pretty tired when we got home for bed and left early for our flight home. We survived anyway thanks to the fan. The bathroom and shower was shared with others. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the city centre and there is a grocery store nearby. The place felt like it was haunted but we didn't see any ghosts ;=) It was clean and without bugs. An ok place to stay for a short while.

Room Tip: Look at the room first.
Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank danielpaniel
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 January 2011

My husband & I stayed in the Carriage House's bigger room, with the shared bathroom right next door (between our room and the other), but had no problems whatsoever using it due to the locking system Brian put in place while using the bathroom. He was very friendly with us, even rented 2 bikes out for us, which made getting to know Savannah much easier and more efficient (we only had a few hours), we fell in love with the town! Place has even a little kitchen, parking is free in this residential area of the Historic District. Kroger grocery store is only a block away, we had breakfast there. Location is perfect, only about 7-8 bucks for taxi (5 mins) even in the middle of the night from the Riverfront (they leave from Hyatt). This place is not the Ritz, but costs at least half of what the other hotels would just a few blocks North, definitely worth every penny. Staying in the typical Savannah old house will remain memorable for us, which means more than spending an extra night in a chain hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KalandozoMagyar
Reviewed 14 November 2010

Stayed two nights in this hostel. The location is perfect! Takes 30 minutes to walk to River Street. There are many coffee shops & restaurants close(The Sentient Bean is only a few blocks away & has great coffee & food).

We had read the reviews & were fully prepared to meet with a strange owner, pictures of cats everywhere lol, and dirty rooms but we were pleasantly surprised right off the bat. Brian seemed a little odd but was incredibly nice & funny & he seemed concerned that we had everything we needed. He did quote us a higher price than he has listed on his website. The place wasn't extremely clean but I've seen worse hostels, it was acceptable. There weren't excessive pictures of cats which we were disappointed by. Haha. If you're looking forward to utilizing the kitchen then remember to bring your own dishes, silverware, pots, pans, etc. No microwave.

Our first night was fine. The sheets were weird(bed sacks instead of sheets) & the blankets he provides are rather thin. The hostel was a little chilly but ok. He didn't have any bikes to rent to us & suggested a few places(Bicycle Link on MLK is AMAZING! The owner is so wonderful & relaxed. We asked to have the bikes overnight & he didn't mind. Gave us a discount on bike lights. AND has a better price than Rubber's all day rental).

The second night we okayed it for Brian(the hostel owner)to move our stuff to another room because he said he had our room already booked by a large group. Our original room was still vacant the next day & he told another guest that we had asked to move...strange... :-P. We were woken up at 9:50am to aggressive pounding on our door & what sounded like someone trying to open the door to enter the room. It was Brian, telling us that we had to be out in 5 minutes. But he was then informed by another hostel guest that he was mistaken in the time & he told us we had till 11...which we were under the impression that check-out was at noon. We laughed about it & he seemed to relax but shortly after was acting like he wanted us gone quickly.

Overall I would reccomend the place if you're looking for simple lodgings, a place to crash after a long day of sightseeing. Brian is odd but not really difficult to deal with although we did have the impression that with a longer stay you may experience stranger & stricter rules.

• Stayed November 2010
4 Thank Travelerhey
Johannesburg
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I found it quite a difficult task to find well-priced accommodation in Savanna, but managed to Savannah International Pensione on Google. I was traveling to Savanna from Charleston, SC via an evening Amtrak train, however, the train was delayed, so I had to let the owner know that I was checking in late, which was fine.

The location isn't perfect, but isnt bad either. The area seems ok, but you are advised not to walk in the park late at night, which is understandable. Savanna is really small, so walking into town isn't a big deal, but Savannah International Pensione is located quite close the town shuttle, which is free, and very convenient.

In terms of the actual accommodation:
The room was nice a spacious, and although there were 3 bunk bed, I only had 2 room mates during my stay. I found it annoying that instead of sheets, I was given a 'sleeping sack' and the owner seems to be really concerned about bed bugs, so the mattress is covered in some sort of plastic bed-sheet, which I found uncomfortable.

The other facilities are rather basic.
The kitchen has a fridge, forks and spoons, but I think thats about it. It doesnt have a kettle, toaster, over, microwave, which I found quite annoying.

There is also only one bathroom which a bath/shower. The bathroom needs a serious make-over. I'm not that fussy but the bath/shower seems really old, unhygienic and the drain was blocked.

There is also a small living room with a tiny tv that I never used.

One important thing to note is that guests arent allowed to be inside there rooms between 10am-5pm, which I found quite ridiculous. I went to Tybee Island for the day, and had to wait around from 3pm, until I was allowed to go back into my room. I'm not sure if the front door is locked, but these are the rules.

I wouldn't say that the accommodation was bad, but it definitely needs to be improved upon a bit. For those looking for decent, cheaper accommodation in Savanna this isnt a bad option

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank paulballen
cambridge, ma
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I *really* liked this place. I rented the Carriage House (two bedrooms that share a bathroom -- great for a couple of friends) which is bigger and even more adorable than it looks on their website. There is a kitchen and living room as well, and with the grocery store 1 block away, you could save lots of money cooking your own food.

On the cab ride from the train station I enjoyed seeing the huge historic buildings and was so excited when we pulled up and saw that I got to stay in one of them! The main building has all kinds of really neat architectural features. You have access to the main building to use the internet even if your room is in the carriage house.

I thought the owner was super nice and friendly, he even walked with me to the grocery store to go to the ATM, since it was at night and I was by myself. Things were clean without being sterile or wasteful (i.e. he turned on the AC for the carriage house when I checked in). I don't know what the people who've written bad reviews were expecting (perhaps a concierge?); maybe they've never been to a family-run hostel before.

• Stayed May 2010