“I fell in love with Savannah here!”

Savannah International Pensione
Sydney
“I fell in love with Savannah here!”
Reviewed 22 April 2008

I visited this hostel back in May 2005 & I will certainly go back to Savannah! Such a beautiful place! And I felt totally at ease in the Savannah Hostel... I even enjoyed the 'lock out' period because it got me out and about enjoying the beauty of the squares instead of sitting indoors (which I could do back here in Australia).

The first night, I arrived with a Japanese fellow backpacker I met in Atlanta - she and I travelled by greyhound and then caught the free tram/bus to the hostel. It was a quick walk to the hostel but the female dorm was full so we had to stay in the male one - not a problem - the room was huge and well ventilated. The next day we moved into the female room but I think I preferred the male one better!

The owner was pretty quiet & kept to himself - he didn't stick his nose in too much but he did have a new baby back then, so we all tried to keep it down a bit. The bathrooms aren't that great and neither is the plumbing, but I didn't let that bother me.

The hostel was really close to a big supermarket too (can't remember the name of it but I think it sounded almost german!) so it was easy to get supplies. But they didn't sell alcohol on Sundays... not sure if things have changed since then.

It was only a block away from a beautiful big park with a huge fountain (see the photos), and surrounded by beautiful 'squares' which are really just a series of lush parks every block or two (see photo). Don't forget to walk down to the river and catch the jazzy bands that play nearly every night. And food - well it doesn't get much better than the South y'all! *LOL*

Yep, I'll definitely be back... maybe to buy a place and live there!

• Liked — Location Location Location!
  • Disliked — The bathrooms & no laundromat in Savannah!
  • Stayed May 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MoJoGrisGris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Absolutely couldn't disagree more with the previous comment. After an active search this was by far the cheapest place to stay, the B&B's were 200 dollars and more. ,my room cost me 50 dollars which had a canopy bed. The Pensione is in a lovely old house, plenty of space and airconditioned. The owner does have a lockout from 12 - 5 for cleaning. He talked about a carriage house with no lockout , private rooms with a kitchen .
A few blocks walk from the Pensione are many squares where beautiful mansions are situated. I stayed 3 nights and would come back again.

Kathy E

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank cat066
Kansas City
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I paid extra to get a private room. It was $60 a night for the carriage house, which also meant you weren't locked out during the day. I shared a bath with my neighbor, and we had access to a kitchen. The place was the cheapest I could find in Savannah. The owner was friendly -- although he didn't seem to be a good business man. A couple stopped by while I was waiting for my taxi, and he actually told them to come by later rather than showing them a room and taking their reservation. Oh well. If you're low maintenance, you'll do fine. If you'd rather have something a little nicer where you don't feel like you have to wear flip flops in the shower, look elsewhere.

It's in an OK neighborhood, and the owner tells you where you shouldn't stray after dark. It's close to the park, and everything is within walking distance, although you're also close to the free tourist bus.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shared bath
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank wes4406
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 July 2006

We waited until the last minute to find a room in Savannah on the 4th of July weekend. There was nada available except super high priced rooms in generic chain hotels and those weren't even in the historic district. But thanks to the Lonely Planet Guide we found the Savannah Pensione!
Brian Sherman, the manager, was friendly and accomodating. The building is a wonderful old victorian with amazingly high ceilings, screened in sleeping porches, wrought iron on the huge windows. It's a bit shabby and they are in the middle of remodelling. The AC didn't work terribly well. But we really liked the place.
It's a shared bathroom and kitchen. You get little "sleep sheets" and a scratchy blanket for bedding. But hey - it's a hostel so you shouldn't expect luxury.
We paid 80.00 for the room.
It's walkable to the tourist areas, down gorgeous old brick streets and through many lovely squares. There are resturaunts within a couple of blocks and a big grocery store across the street.
Savannah would be a great city to ride bicycles around, but we didn't have time for that.
Also recommend the Ghost Talk Ghost Walk Tour (912-233-3896).

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank ashevillejm
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I stayed at the Savannah Hostel for some of my spring break in early March. I was there with 4 other friends and we were all able to stay together in the same room. The room was perfect for us; there were 3 nice sized bunks (all with a top and a bottom bunk) and a spacious bathroom (with plenty of hot water) connected to our room - and if we had to all get showers, there is also a bathroom down the hall. There was also a futon in the room so we could put our stuff down on it. I loved the house; it was perfect for walking around the historic district (no more than like a 20 minute walk and you can take pictures of all the squares while doing so). There is also a kitchen for guests to use. We all had a blast and I am planning on staying there again.
*NOTE: You might want to bring your own pillow, but they do provide a sheet sleeping garment, pillow and blanket. During colder times of the year, bring extra stuff to stay warm.

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank CamellaLoca
England
Reviewed 22 November 2005

The people running the place were really nice to a friend and I when we were able to stay here in June. It's not in the best area, but luckily we had a car, so getting about wasn't a problem - though for others it may be a concern. The nicest thing about the place - the decent people. The worst? The cleanliness of the hostel which was absolutely diabolical. It was the worst hostel for cleanliness I have ever seen - and I've been to more than a fair share. The sheets given to you are no more than rags. Another traveller who we met there also had arrived into Savannah during the day, and there is a long shut out period during the day (9am til 5pm if I remember rightly), which is absolutely ridiculous for a functioning hostel, and he had to sit across the street in the rain for many hours. It's a shame the people running it were nice, otherwise I would have been in touch with the authorities long before now to have the place shut down. My opinion, I know, but I would be amazed if others could stay there and disagree with me.

• Stayed June 2005